PDA

View Full Version : Hangar18 will now Also, put Himself on Self-Imposed Budget for 2004 season


Hangar18
11-17-2003, 10:19 AM
I spent a lot of money on this team last season, Including going to SoxFest, Getting Season Tickets, spending a ton of $$$ in the park on Beer/Food, even Travelling to see these guys on the Road. If this team insists on shooting itself in the foot by Limiting their Budget and Getting "rid" of their Better Players Like Maggs and CLee, then I think its time I put myself on a budget too. First things first.....I guess It means NO SEASON TICKETS for 2004. they dont Need all this money from me UpFront. Why? so I can see us Not Compete? Doesnt work for me. Also, I will now institute a 50% Reduction, Effective IMMEDIATELY, on travelling Expenses.
Spring Break Trip to Tucson AZ to see the Beloved.......Um NOT ANYMORE. Jerry, I'll send my regards to the Tucson Chamber of Commerce. Also.....on games I do go to, Looks Like I will shoot for a $5 a game spending limit. That should curb some
of the "frivolous" spending I see going on around the game these days ......

Hangar18
11-17-2003, 10:22 AM
some of you may say....Ok, when does this Plan fully become Operational? It will Begin upon Magglio/Lee leaving the SOX this year. The plan can be Suspended though, if
A) those 2 (Maggs/Lee) stay on the team
B) JR decides to up the payroll to be more inline with Similar Market Teams. One only need to look at the team up North
to see where our Payroll should be inline with

Rocky Soprano
11-17-2003, 10:29 AM
I agree, if they dont want to spend and make a run at winning a WS then why should we just hand them our hard earned money?

They hit us where it hurts us by not raising the payroll and trading our best players. Then we hit them where it hurts them the most, by not spending money on a small market team! :angry:

We should start some kind of petition:

KEEP OUR BEST PLAYERS AND RAISE THE PAYROLL OR ELSE!

kittle42
11-17-2003, 10:33 AM
I'm with you, too. Screw them. I'll support them, just not as much financially as I used to.

CLR01
11-17-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Rocky Soprano

They hit us where it hurts us by not raising the payroll and trading our best players. Then we hit them where it hurts them the most, by not spending money on a small market team! :angry:


Wow...I go out of town for a weekend and everyone gets traded. What did they get in return?


Last I checked sox have not made any trades.

Hangar18
11-17-2003, 10:34 AM
The Spring Break Trip to Tucson in 2004 Is going to Hurt Me
however. I was so ready to go this year too. Ah well
IVE GOT TO STICK TO MY WORD/BUDGET. NO TUCSON TRIP
effective Immediately. I was planning on going with Farmer Andy and a few others ......

Hangar18
11-17-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by CLR01
Wow...I go out of town for a weekend and everyone gets traded. What did they get in return.


Last I checked sox have nto made any trades.

Yes, they havnt made any Trades....Yet. I just want to be ready for the Inevitable. I did a great deal of thinking about my "budget" also, and this was the Plan I came up with. Of Course, this plan goes in Effect when one of the 2 Criteria
is met....which I have Stated in my Manifesto

Rocky Soprano
11-17-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by CLR01
Wow...I go out of town for a weekend and everyone gets traded. What did they get in return?


Last I checked sox have not made any trades.

Did I say I was doing this starting right now?

Like Hangar said, as soon as they trade away our best players that is when this becomes effective.

thepaulbowski
11-17-2003, 10:56 AM
I'm not going to deprive myself of the fun and relaxation I get at the ballpark during the summer, so I won't be able to join Hangar in his budget crackdown. I don't have the will power!

Hangar18
11-17-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
I'm not going to deprive myself of the fun and relaxation I get at the ballpark during the summer, so I won't be able to join Hangar in his budget crackdown. I don't have the will power!

Dont get me wrong, I'll still be at the games. Instead of going to like 4/5 games a homestand, I'll instead go to only 1 or 2 now.
Also...no more buying lots of Beers at the park. I'll limit Consumption to Off The Premises Establishments. Have to Stay in the Budget, know what I mean?? $5 a game budget means
only 1 beer a game anyway.....

joecrede
11-17-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
some of you may say....Ok, when does this Plan fully become Operational? It will Begin upon Magglio/Lee leaving the SOX this year. The plan can be Suspended though, if
A) those 2 (Maggs/Lee) stay on the team
B) JR decides to up the payroll to be more inline with Similar Market Teams. One only need to look at the team up North
to see where our Payroll should be inline with

What happens if the Sox put together a contending team because they deal Maggs and Lee?

Hangar18
11-17-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by joecrede
What happens if the Sox put together a contending team because they deal Maggs and Lee?

Thats A good question. however, We know that Generally Speaking, when a team trades away Good Players, they generally Never receive anything in Value, merely "salary relief".
Ive never seen a team SUBTRACT Good Players, and be
ADDITIONALLY a Good Team the following Season. Just doesnt
work.

joecrede
11-17-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Thats A good question. however, We know that Generally Speaking, when a team trades away Good Players, they generally Never receive anything in Value, merely "salary relief".
Ive never seen a team SUBTRACT Good Players, and be
ADDITIONALLY a Good Team the following Season. Just doesnt
work.

The Mariners decision to not re-sign A-Rod and use the money elsewhere?

CubKilla
11-17-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by joecrede
What happens if the Sox put together a contending team because they deal Maggs and Lee?

It's been stated and agreed upon by many that if the White Sox deal Maggs the market will not return to the White Sox Maggs full worth. If Maggs is dealt, it will be strictly a salary dump for lesser caliber players.

So unless KW wheels-and-deals in transactions other than the Maggs deal, don't expect an upgrade either in RF or offensively..... or a player that is young with alot of potential i.e., Miguel Cabrera.

Hangar18
11-17-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by joecrede
The Mariners decision to not re-sign A-Rod and use the money elsewhere?

Big Difference here, is that the Mariners TRIED to RESIGN Arod to a lucrative offer, which he Rejected, wanting to try the FA route.
The SOX are reportedly already shopping him to other teams
because they dont want to Pay Him ......Period.

poorme
11-17-2003, 11:37 AM
Seems like KW's real problem is the $14 mil this year, not the concern about re-signing him. With salaries set to plunge, there's a good chance the Sox could afford him in 2005+.

Hangar18
11-17-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by poorme
Seems like KW's real problem is the $14 mil this year, not the concern about re-signing him. With salaries set to plunge, there's a good chance the Sox could afford him in 2005+.

Amen! I was waiting for someone to bring that up. KW is stupid if he cant FORESEE that salaries are STALLING, and theres NO REASON we should just Give Away a Franchise Type Player....simply because of $$$$. The Real Question is,
How can we AFFORD NOT TO Keep Him?

joecrede
11-17-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Big Difference here, is that the Mariners TRIED to RESIGN Arod to a lucrative offer, which he Rejected, wanting to try the FA route.

Whether the tried to re-sign him or not the Mariners fielded a contending team without A-Rod. The original point was teams losing their best players and still being good.

The SOX are reportedly already shopping him to other teams because they dont want to Pay Him ......Period.

Who can blame them? Ordonez is overpaid by today's market. They can be a better team by using Ordonez's money to fill multiple holes.

joecrede
11-17-2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Amen! I was waiting for someone to bring that up. KW is stupid if he cant FORESEE that salaries are STALLING, and theres NO REASON we should just Give Away a Franchise Type Player....simply because of $$$$. The Real Question is,
How can we AFFORD NOT TO Keep Him?

Ordonez is not one of the elite players in the game.

Hangar18
11-17-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by joecrede
Whether the tried to re-sign him or not the Mariners fielded a contending team without A-Rod. The original point was teams losing their best players and still being good.

Who can blame them? Ordonez is overpaid by today's market. They can be a better team by using Ordonez's money to fill multiple holes.

Point1 they Fielded a contending team by SPENDING on other Players. DONT be fooled into thinking they'll use that 14Million
on other Players. JR will put that in his pocket. Unfortuneately,
we'll get NOTHING in return for AllStar Maggs

Point2 Sure, he may be a bit overpaid, but he will soon be Affordable come next season, and there are hardly any teams available to sign him. Ink him to a longer term deal that keeps him in a SOX uniform for 5 more seasons.

thepaulbowski
11-17-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by joecrede
The Mariners decision to not re-sign A-Rod and use the money elsewhere?

or keep Griffey Jr. & Randy Johnson

voodoochile
11-17-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
or keep Griffey Jr. & Randy Johnson

And they missed the playoffs these past two seasons. Now personally, I think that is because they let those guys all go. But everyone has been so impressed with their great regular season records that they ignore the fact that talent wins and great talent helps win games in September and October. Man, I am suer the M's would have loved to have some of thsoe guys back these past couple of years for late season games so instead of fading away, they could have stepped it up a notch led by their stars...

joecrede
11-17-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Point1 they Fielded a contending team by SPENDING on other Players. DONT be fooled into thinking they'll use that 14Million
on other Players. JR will put that in his pocket. Unfortuneately,
we'll get NOTHING in return for AllStar Maggs

We'll know soon enough. If the payroll is $37M next year JR did indeed pocket that money.

THE_HOOTER
11-17-2003, 12:16 PM
I have to agree 100% with this post.

If the Sox have a budget that does not allow them to field a World Series contender, than I will put my self on a budget as well.

If Ordonez is traded, and that 14 million isnt used for more player signings, then I will keep moeny in my pocket too.


I don't think Ordonez is worth 14 million, but the Sox weren't complaining when he was making 1 million and going to All-Star games.

Rocky Soprano
11-17-2003, 12:27 PM
Maggs is not worth 14 MM a year but Im sure that if the Sox made a good effort and tried to resign him to a fair deal then we wouldnt have the risk of losing him and getting crap in return.

Why oh why do we have so cheap owners!

voodoochile
11-17-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Rocky Soprano
Maggs is not worth 14 MM a year but Im sure that if the Sox made a good effort and tried to resign him to a fair deal then we wouldnt have the risk of losing him and getting crap in return.

Why oh why do we have so cheap owners!

What's fair in this situation? I am interested in what people do think Maggs is worth. There have been many posts stating he isn't worth $14M, but how much should Maggs be paid?

CubKilla
11-17-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
What's fair in this situation? I am interested in what people do think Maggs is worth. There have been many posts stating he isn't worth $14M, but how much should Maggs be paid?

IMHO..... 3 yrs./$21-$25 million after '04.

Iwritecode
11-17-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I spent a lot of money on this team last season, Including going to SoxFest...

I've always been curious how much money the Sox actually get when we buy one of the package deals through the hotel for Soxfest. I mean for what you pay and what you get, it's an incredible deal.

The package cost $260 + taxes. Broken down though, it would come out to be much more:

4 upper deck tickets to a Sox game - $60
4 weekend passes to Soxfest - $140
2 night stay at the hyatt regency - $402

Total = $602

I'm just curious has to how they divide it up.

Not that I'm complaining though. I love the deal. Especially when you can divide the cost up with 3 other friends. :D:

CubKilla
11-17-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I've always been curious how much money the Sox actually get when we buy one of the package deals through the hotel for Soxfest. I mean for what you pay and what you get, it's an incredible deal.

The package cost $260 + taxes. Broken down though, it would come out to be much more:

4 upper deck tickets to a Sox game - $60
4 weekend passes to Soxfest - $140
2 night stay at the hyatt regency - $402

Total = $602

I'm just curious has to how they divide it up.

Not that I'm complaining though. I love the deal. Especially when you can divide the cost up with 3 other friends. :D:

I also go with 2 friends and I can guarantee that when the weekend is over, what we paid for to eat 3 times at the hotel, drink at the hotel bar, and beer/food we pay for within SoxFest itself..... not to mention the beers we bring with us for the weekend..... the 3 of us have paid well over $600 total. I'm sure JR and the Hyatt have worked out some kind of deal that is beneficial to both of them.

In regards to the tickets..... they probably fall under the guise of "promotion" and, at the very least, the tix don't count towards the Sox yearly attendance figure. A plus for JR at least. And I'm sure the Hyatt gets a cut of the SoxFest tickets sold and the White Sox get a cut of the parking.

In reality, it's probably a huge windfall for both parties.

Dadawg_77
11-17-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
I also go with 2 friends and I can guarantee that when the weekend is over, what we paid for to eat 3 times at the hotel, drink at the hotel bar, and beer/food we pay for within SoxFest itself..... not to mention the beers we bring with us for the weekend..... the 3 of us have paid well over $600 total. I'm sure JR and the Hyatt have worked out some kind of deal that is beneficial to both of them.

In regards to the tickets..... they probably fall under the guise of "promotion" and, at the very least, the tix don't count towards the Sox yearly attendance figure. A plus for JR at least. And I'm sure the Hyatt gets a cut of the SoxFest tickets sold and the White Sox get a cut of the parking.

In reality, it's probably a huge windfall for both parties.

The Hilton gets the hotel room cut and parking the Sox get free or major discount on the facilities and a cut of the tickets. Plus fees from everyone who has a booth. I don't know that to be the case, but what I would think it works.

anewman35
11-17-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
The Spring Break Trip to Tucson in 2004 Is going to Hurt Me
however. I was so ready to go this year too. Ah well
IVE GOT TO STICK TO MY WORD/BUDGET. NO TUCSON TRIP
effective Immediately. I was planning on going with Farmer Andy and a few others ......

I'm sure it'll really hurt the Sox to not get a couple bucks a ticket for a few spring training games.

CubKilla
11-17-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
I'm sure it'll really hurt the Sox to not get a couple bucks a ticket for a few spring training games.

That's not the point :whiner:

Iwritecode
11-17-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
The Hilton gets the hotel room cut and parking the Sox get free or major discount on the facilities and a cut of the tickets. Plus fees from everyone who has a booth. I don't know that to be the case, but what I would think it works.

I figure the hotel gets the entire cost of parking since that's completely separate. You can also park elsewhere and walk.

Just considering the total cost of the package barely covers the cost of a one-night stay, I wonder how they break it down. I'm curious to know how much money I am actually giving to the White Sox (not including other costs such as food and souvenirs at Soxfest).

BTW, it's the Hyatt, not Hilton. You've been searching the internet for that video a little too much huh? :smile:

voodoochile
11-17-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
IMHO..... 3 yrs./$21-$25 million after '04.

Based on what? You really think salaries are going to drop that far for AS and MVP caliber players? It is NOT going to happen and if it does, watch out for the players to win the rumored colusion case...

voodoochile
11-17-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I've always been curious how much money the Sox actually get when we buy one of the package deals through the hotel for Soxfest. I mean for what you pay and what you get, it's an incredible deal.

The package cost $260 + taxes. Broken down though, it would come out to be much more:

4 upper deck tickets to a Sox game - $60
4 weekend passes to Soxfest - $140
2 night stay at the hyatt regency - $402

Total = $602

I'm just curious has to how they divide it up.

Not that I'm complaining though. I love the deal. Especially when you can divide the cost up with 3 other friends. :D:

January and February is a very slow time for Chicago Hotels in general, so I am sure they aren't getting rack rate ($201/room/night) for those rooms. Probably more like $150 for the two nights and that is a "large group discount" given to the Sox for filling the hotel for the weekend. They proably throw in the rooms where SoxFest actually happens free also. Probably most of the rest goes to the Sox. It might break down as Hyatt - $200 and Sox - $60 even.

You can just assume the Sox are giving those UD tickets away because they have traditionally not sold well anyway. They are comps all the way.

jeremyb1
11-17-2003, 03:49 PM
I don't want to come off as pro ownership here but again, I find it amusing that people are going to cut their spending on the team as a reaction to the club maintaining its payroll. I do agree payroll should be higher than last season but its higher than it was in '00 and '01 so if anything payroll has increased recently.

Iwritecode
11-17-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
I don't want to come off as pro ownership here but again, I find it amusing that people are going to cut their spending on the team as a reaction to the club maintaining its payroll. I do agree payroll should be higher than last season but its higher than it was in '00 and '01 so if anything payroll has increased recently.

According to this post (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=272942#post272942) the payroll was over 60 million in 2001 (a higher number than was is projected for next year) and has been going down ever since...

thepaulbowski
11-17-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I've always been curious how much money the Sox actually get when we buy one of the package deals through the hotel for Soxfest. I mean for what you pay and what you get, it's an incredible deal.

The package cost $260 + taxes. Broken down though, it would come out to be much more:

4 upper deck tickets to a Sox game - $60
4 weekend passes to Soxfest - $140
2 night stay at the hyatt regency - $402

Total = $602

I'm just curious has to how they divide it up.

Not that I'm complaining though. I love the deal. Especially when you can divide the cost up with 3 other friends. :D:

All money the Sox make on Soxfest goes to White Sox Charities.

Let the conspiracy theory on Reinsdorf pocketing this money begin.

nasox
11-17-2003, 04:55 PM
wow, Hangar is really PO'd

longshot7
11-17-2003, 05:12 PM
Hangar, you're the best!!! U Go Boy!

I'm not on a budget, but only because I don't live in Chicago. I do have a sick feeling in stomach that reminds me of how I felt when the Sox let Ventura & Belle go within weeks of each other.

If the Angels can raise their payroll to $90 mil, then why can't the Sox even come close? There's no excuse. Not in Chicago.

Dadawg_77
11-17-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
I don't want to come off as pro ownership here but again, I find it amusing that people are going to cut their spending on the team as a reaction to the club maintaining its payroll. I do agree payroll should be higher than last season but its higher than it was in '00 and '01 so if anything payroll has increased recently.

That is the way the market works. If the consumer is unhappy with the the product they stop buying it. Henry and other are unhappy with the product thus will buy less of it. If a restaurant you liked cut the money they spent on their food, and the quality decreased, would you stop going there?

TraderTim
11-17-2003, 07:01 PM
My only problem with the argument at this point is:

We don't even know what team the Sox will field in 2004 and people are already going out of their way to throw stones and stomp their feet in disgust. It looks like more than a few other teams will be cutting back on payroll, some significantly, and the Sox may be spending about the same [plus or minus a few mill] as they spent the last few seasons. Things may not be as bad as they appear to some of you at the moment.

They haven't traded a player yet or cut loose any players yet...They haven't lost out yet on any of the players that would fill their needs yet. So...errrr...what the heck are you screaming and crying about? At least wait until you get a glimpse of what they are going to put on the field before throwing tantrums...

Forkit!

ewokpelts
11-17-2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
I also go with 2 friends and I can guarantee that when the weekend is over, what we paid for to eat 3 times at the hotel, drink at the hotel bar, and beer/food we pay for within SoxFest itself..... not to mention the beers we bring with us for the weekend..... the 3 of us have paid well over $600 total. I'm sure JR and the Hyatt have worked out some kind of deal that is beneficial to both of them.

In regards to the tickets..... they probably fall under the guise of "promotion" and, at the very least, the tix don't count towards the Sox yearly attendance figure. A plus for JR at least. And I'm sure the Hyatt gets a cut of the SoxFest tickets sold and the White Sox get a cut of the parking.

In reality, it's probably a huge windfall for both parties.

any ticket scanned at the gates counts toward attendance...the FULL PRICE TICKETS count toward rent...that's why the sox offer free tix with soxfest hotel packs
btw...the 2 day hotel is 236 plus taxes(which pay for the cell and soldier field).....
Gene

ewokpelts
11-17-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
All money the Sox make on Soxfest goes to White Sox Charities.

Let the conspiracy theory on Reinsdorf pocketing this money begin.

the sox site makes no mention of sox charities getting the money....on the cubs site, they DO say that thier convention proceeds go toward the charity...this is a moneymaking venture..which really isnt a bad thing
Gene

ewokpelts
11-17-2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
January and February is a very slow time for Chicago Hotels in general, so I am sure they aren't getting rack rate ($201/room/night) for those rooms. Probably more like $150 for the two nights and that is a "large group discount" given to the Sox for filling the hotel for the weekend. They proably throw in the rooms where SoxFest actually happens free also. Probably most of the rest goes to the Sox. It might break down as Hyatt - $200 and Sox - $60 even.

You can just assume the Sox are giving those UD tickets away because they have traditionally not sold well anyway. They are comps all the way.

On hyatt.com...the dates that soxfest falls on cost `150 a night...and that's with thier" net rates".....so 236 before taxes for two nights aint that bad...hyatt's "losing" only 64 bucks, but if you factor in that they may not have drawn that anyway, it's a wash....

as for the comp tickets...are they only for the ud? When i partook in the Ford City promo, i got 4 lower reserved tickets, and i spent less money to get them....

if you do the math counting in the lower reserved comp tickets you get this:

4 soxfest 3day passes @ 35 each: 140
4 lower reserved tickets @ 24 each: 96

total: 236...same as the pre tax hotel package

it's a wash compared if you bought all that at the box office.

Not a bad deal.
Gene

Dadawg_77
11-17-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
any ticket scanned at the gates counts toward attendance...the FULL PRICE TICKETS count toward rent...that's why the sox offer free tix with soxfest hotel packs
btw...the 2 day hotel is 236 plus taxes(which pay for the cell and soldier field).....
Gene

any ticket sold is counted towards attendance, that is why it is called paid attendance. Not sure where comps fall though but since you "bought" in the package they would count.

voodoochile
11-17-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
On hyatt.com...the dates that soxfest falls on cost `150 a night...and that's with thier" net rates".....so 236 before taxes for two nights aint that bad...hyatt's "losing" only 64 bucks, but if you factor in that they may not have drawn that anyway, it's a wash....

as for the comp tickets...are they only for the ud? When i partook in the Ford City promo, i got 4 lower reserved tickets, and i spent less money to get them....

if you do the math counting in the lower reserved comp tickets you get this:

4 soxfest 3day passes @ 35 each: 140
4 lower reserved tickets @ 24 each: 96

total: 236...same as the pre tax hotel package

it's a wash compared if you bought all that at the box office.

Not a bad deal.
Gene

The Sox set it up to have SoxFest at the Hyatt. So the Hyatt obviously gives them a bulk rate discount. I worked in hotels for a few years and the prices they quote on their website are not the prices they sell to large groups for. Yep, list price (or "rack" as it is called in the industry) is 150. But, they will sell those rooms to groups for a lot less if it is a slow time of the year. Heck with connections, you could proably get those same rooms for $75-100.

Like you pointed out (and has been mentioned about unsold seats at Comiskey many times) the one thing that costs them the most is unsold rooms. You cannot get it back...

nasox
11-18-2003, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by longshot7
If the Angels can raise their payroll to $90 mil, then why can't the Sox even come close? There's no excuse. Not in Chicago.

Thats cuz the angels have a kickass owner (so kickass i forget his name-but i do know that he is hispanic and a real estate entrepreneur). Such a great owner that he said on inspecting the park for the first time, "Do we have to charge 7 bucks for a beer?"
I rest my case.

surfdudes
11-18-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
The SOX are reportedly already shopping him to other teams
because they dont want to Pay Him ......Period.

Dude, thats's way too simle for JR's thought process...........
More like, Trade Mags, cut salary, then sign some "Balboni" type bad knees, high strikout, 39 year old FA to a 3yr 18mil deal,
then resign David Wells to a 1yr + option for another 6mil.
Remember, our owner is insane. Sorry about your new budget









http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=272542

longshot7
11-18-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by nasox
Thats cuz the angels have a kickass owner (so kickass i forget his name-but i do know that he is hispanic and a real estate entrepreneur). Such a great owner that he said on inspecting the park for the first time, "Do we have to charge 7 bucks for a beer?"
I rest my case.

I think the jury's still out on Arte Moreno, but I agree, lowering the cost of beer was a huge way to endear himself to the fans. He's also known to wander the concourse during games, making himself available to talk to the common fans. Great PR.

steff
11-18-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Also.....on games I do go to, Looks Like I will shoot for a $5 a game spending limit. That should curb some
of the "frivolous" spending I see going on around the game these days ......

How's this going to work when it's your turn to buy me and Kris beers...?? :?:

CubKilla
11-18-2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by steff
How's this going to work when it's your turn to buy me and Kris beers...?? :?:

I still owe you a round or two :gulp:

steff
11-18-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I figure the hotel gets the entire cost of parking since that's completely separate. You can also park elsewhere and walk.

Just considering the total cost of the package barely covers the cost of a one-night stay, I wonder how they break it down. I'm curious to know how much money I am actually giving to the White Sox (not including other costs such as food and souvenirs at Soxfest).



I'm sure they jack up the rates on the other rooms to compensate for the discount. Believe it or not.. not as many as you'd think take advantage of the hotel rooms and they get people when they get too trashed to drive home. Last year on Friday Jim and I were going to stay... $380 was the rate that night! We didn't stay, but another couple in front of us did.

steff
11-18-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
I still owe you a round or two :gulp:


Always a pleasure drinking with you, Killa :gulp: :gulp:

thepaulbowski
11-19-2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by longshot7
I think the jury's still out on Arte Moreno, but I agree, lowering the cost of beer was a huge way to endear himself to the fans. He's also known to wander the concourse during games, making himself available to talk to the common fans. Great PR.

You think JR could wander the concourse during the games? Not without a bodyguard!!! :)

Hangar18
11-19-2003, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by steff
How's this going to work when it's your turn to buy me and Kris beers...?? :?:

OK....but that I will file under "business expense" to trick myself into buying the rounds for you guys :smile:

CubKilla
11-19-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
You think JR could wander the concourse during the games? Not without a bodyguard!!! :)

JR was at SoxFest last year..... alone. I was civil last season. Probably wouldn't be the same way this year. I'd probably try to let JR know, nicely, what I think about what he has done to this team over the past 20 years.

ewokpelts
11-19-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
JR was at SoxFest last year..... alone. I was civil last season. Probably wouldn't be the same way this year. I'd probably try to let JR know, nicely, what I think about what he has done to this team over the past 20 years.

and to think i had a shot at him in the cell no less! I was at the park waiting to see my ticket rep, and in walks ol' uncle jerry.....in an all star jacket(probably got it free from bud lite).....you dont know how much it took me to stay in my seats and not even make a peep...
Gene