PDA

View Full Version : The Key To Baseball Magic

SluggersAway
11-16-2003, 11:12 PM
When you have a play on first and second base, you must go for second to avoid runner advancing into scoring position. Pay no mind to hurting the pitchers hit count.

Never automatically walk a batter when runner advances to second.

Pitching, pitching, pitching. Relievers. Lefties, Righties.

Concentrate on knocking in runs, base running, steals, walks, base hits, bunts, and defense. Let the proven swingers, swing.

Avoid the double play.

Solid defense, solid pitching = short innnings.

Learn to let the bad pitch find the catcher's mitt.

With evidence of trouble, pull the pitcher.

Have an all-star in your bullpen.

Play every inning as if it's the ninth inning of the seventh game of the world series, and the game is on the line.

Avoid tinkering with the line-up

Avoid errors.

Don't be tempted by performance enhancing drugs, it'll come back to haunt you.

Don't over extend, avoid injury.

Eliminate any thoughts of a curse.

Breed an atmosphere of anticipating clutch plays and triumphant manifest destiny.

JDP
11-16-2003, 11:56 PM
Confucious says "Have more runs than opponent at end of game and you shall win."

Iguana775
11-16-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by JDP
Confucious says "Have more runs than opponent at end of game and you shall win."

I think JM forgot that.

JDP
11-17-2003, 12:07 AM
I think JM forgot a lot of stuff, or rather, did he ever know much to begin with?

CubKilla
11-17-2003, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Iguana775
I think JM forgot that.

Along with "Always have someone in the BP warming-up when the starter begins the 9th with a 1-2 run lead..... especially when Bonds is due up."

Dadawg_77
11-17-2003, 10:49 AM
1> No one's going to give a damn in July if you lost a game in March.

3> The easiest way around the bases is with one swing of the bat.

4> Your most precious possessions of offence are your twenty-seven outs

5> If you play for one run, that's all you get.

6> Don't play for one run unless you know that run will win a ballgame.

7> It's easier to find four good starters than five.

9> The key step for an infielder is the first one - left or right - but before the ball is hit.

10> The job of arguing with the umpire belongs to the manager, because it won't hurt the team if he gets thrown out of the game.

Extra points if you know who wrote those.

poorme
11-17-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77

9> The key step for an infielder is the first one - left or right - but before the ball is hit.

This is a good one that is mostly ignored.

pudge
11-17-2003, 03:54 PM
1> No one's going to give a damn in July if you lost a game in March.

3> The easiest way around the bases is with one swing of the bat.

4> Your most precious possessions of offence are your twenty-seven outs

5> If you play for one run, that's all you get.

6> Don't play for one run unless you know that run will win a ballgame.

7> It's easier to find four good starters than five.

10> The job of arguing with the umpire belongs to the manager, because it won't hurt the team if he gets thrown out of the game.

Extra points if you know who wrote those.

Sounds like Earl Weaver.

ondafarm
11-17-2003, 04:06 PM

Why is this restricted to infielders?

Dadawg_77
11-17-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by ondafarm
Why is this restricted to infielders?

Because that is a quote from Earl. I am sure it can aply to outfielders, but they have a greater amount of time to adjust from a mistake.

washington
11-17-2003, 06:47 PM
If your team's in a pennant race, late in the year, your team's hot, you're playing in Yankee Stadium, have won the 1st 2 of 3 games, and your manager sits Buehrle in favor of Neal Cotts, fire his sorry tail on the spot.

surfdudes
11-18-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by washington
If your team's in a pennant race, late in the year, your team's hot, you're playing in Yankee Stadium, have won the 1st 2 of 3 games, and your manager sits Buehrle in favor of Neal Cotts, fire his sorry tail on the spot.

My 12 year old son asked me why Cotts pitched that day, after seeing him self destruct in his last outing, and my only reply was "welcome to Sox baseball, get used to it"