PDA

View Full Version : In Your Valued Opinions!

soxwon
11-16-2003, 07:27 PM
in your opinions- what are the chances of trading the following players.
based on a 1-5 confidence scale
5- positivly will happen
4- highly probable
3-possibilty
2- not so likely
1- no chance

the players-
frank thomas
maglio ordonez
carlos lee
paul konerko
mark buehrle

thank you for your opinions

Deadguy
11-16-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by soxwon
5- positivly will happen
4- highly probable
3-possibilty
2- not so likely
1- no chance

the players-
frank thomas - 1
maglio ordonez - 5
carlos lee -4
paul konerko - 2
mark buehrle -3

joepoe
11-16-2003, 07:43 PM
I'm thinking all "no chance" except Lee, which is a possibility.

RedPinStripes
11-16-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Deadguy
the players-
frank thomas - 1
maglio ordonez - 5
carlos lee -4
paul konerko - 2
mark buehrle -3

I'd say Konerko will be gone before Mark. Even if it's for a bag of balls.

Deadguy
11-16-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
I'd say Konerko will be gone before Mark. Even if it's for a bag of balls.

The problem is, we can't even trade Konerko for a bag of balls.

A bag of balls has no salary, and could actually have some use during warm ups and batting practice.

A guy like Konerko is a drain on a team's economic resources, and not only could he be useless, but there's a great possibility that he could be hurting the team. The problem with high salaried guys like him who struggle is that you pretty much HAVE to play them, no matter how terrible they are. The Devil Rays experienced this with Greg Vaughn in 2002.

Realistically, no matter how much Konerko struggles next year, he will be in the lineup for a large portion of the games, because he has too much guaranteed money left on his contract to be released.

RedPinStripes
11-16-2003, 08:14 PM

A bag of balls has no salary, and could actually have some use during warm ups and batting practice.

A guy like Konerko is a drain on a team's economic resources, and not only could he be useless, but there's a great possibility that he could be hurting the team. The problem with high salaried guys like him who struggle is that you pretty much HAVE to play them, no matter how much terrible they are. The Devil Rays experienced this with Greg Vaughn in 2002.

Realistically, no matter how much Konerko struggles next year, he will be in the lineup for a large portion of the games, because he has too much guaranteed money left on his contract to be released.

Ozzie's gonna make his life hell if he's around next year.

fquaye149
11-16-2003, 08:18 PM

A guy like Konerko is a drain on a team's economic resources, and not only could he be useless, but there's a great possibility that he could be hurting the team. The problem with high salaried guys like him who struggle is that you pretty much HAVE to play them, no matter how much terrible they are. The Devil Rays experienced this with Greg Vaughn in 2002.

that's a little harsh....it would seem konerko's at least on the upswing from his awful last half of 2002 and first half of 2003.

we'll see...

soxwon
11-16-2003, 09:33 PM
why so negative about PK- i think he ended up having a damn decent season after an awfull start- hes still so young and he will rebound,

guillen4life13
11-16-2003, 11:20 PM
why so negative about PK- i think he ended up having a damn decent season after an awfull start- hes still so young and he will rebound,

We'll see. But until he starts knocking in 110+ runs, he won't be worth his salary.

fuzzy_patters
11-16-2003, 11:33 PM
5- positivly will happen
4- highly probable
3-possibilty
2- not so likely
1- no chance

the players-
frank thomas
maglio ordonez
carlos lee
paul konerko
mark buehrle

Frank Thomas -1 -He is a Reisndorf favorite.

Magglio Ordonez -4 -He will have to be moved for salary reasons.

Carlos Lee -3 He could be moved, but his speed could be an asset for Ozzie. Good power, agressive but sometimes stupid baserunning, and speed sounds an awful lot like the Marlins' Derek Lee.

Paul Konerko -4 He is a station to station ballplayer, but he will never hit 40 homeruns. I cannot see Ozzie being happy managing him. He will probably be traded for another overpaid flop that is a speedy or defensive minded player. Roger Cedeno anyone?

Mark Buehrle -1 He is a good player on his first contract. The perfect combination for a financially strapped franchise.

minastirith67
11-16-2003, 11:50 PM
5- positivly will happen
4- highly probable
3-possibilty
2- not so likely
1- no chance

the players-
frank thomas
maglio ordonez
carlos lee
paul konerko
mark buehrle

Thomas-1
Ordonez-4
Lee-3
Konerko-2, which totally sucks
Buehrle-2, not this season, but possible

Just my opinion, I don't even come close to being an expert...

JDP
11-17-2003, 12:32 AM
I'd put a 4-5 on all of them, with the 4's being Buehrle, who needs to be moved at least before his 'big' payday, and Thomas, who may be immoveable under the trading deadline [and if the Sox are out of it].

CubKilla
11-17-2003, 12:51 AM
Buehrle and Thomas-1
Lee, Maggs, and Konerko-4..... although I don't believe all three will be dealt..... just an equal chance for the three of them.

jeremyb1
11-17-2003, 01:59 AM
Frank - 1
He has 5 and 10 rights allowing him to reject any trade and most teams would be scared off by the money remaning on his contract.

Maggs - 4
We need to clear a ton of money off the payroll if we want to make any acquisitions this season and apparently the front office doesn't like our chances of resigning him.

C Lee - 3

I'm on the record as saying I think he'd be the best player on the team to trade because we could clear some salary yet his contract isn't so large to make him immovable. Also, his value on the market is most likely the largest of any player on the team when compared to his actual value. However, considering the likelyhood of a Maggs deal, clearing only 5 or 6 more million in salary isn't all that valuable and the team would likely to be hesitant to trade their two prominant outfielders in the one offseason.

Buehrle - 1
The club is forced to rely on pitching to win at this point considering the unaffordability of many of its hitters. Buerhle is arbitration elligible and should end up with a decent amount of money but a moderate salary compared to some of the higher priced players on the team. Considering the fact that he'll be just 25 next season and still has three seasons left on his contract, it'd be a huge loss to see him go.

Konerko - 1
His contract is simply too large after his dreadful '03 campaign for any team to take him off our hands unless we're willing to pick up around half his salary or take a horrendous contract in return. Paully's chances of rebounding are probably better than any other poor contract we can receive in return and I doubt JR would like the idea of paying a player so much money to play for another team.

Deadguy
11-17-2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by fquaye149
that's a little harsh....it would seem konerko's at least on the upswing from his awful last half of 2002 and first half of 2003.

we'll see...

He finished the season in a 3 for 48 slump, which doesn't bode well for next season.