PDA

View Full Version : TSN Potential Sox FA Notes

Lip Man 1
11-15-2003, 09:08 PM
This week in The Sporting News, two items about potential Sox Free Agent targets:

"Two teams interested in Todd Walker asked if he would play 3rd base. Two others asked if he would play 1st base. Walker is willing to make either move. The Devil Rays are considering him at a variety of positions."

"The acquisition of hard throwing LHP Billy Wagner, a closer, should give the team confidence. RHP Tom Gordon, who expressed a strong interest in coming to Philadelphia before Wagner's arrival, still could be wooed as a set up man."

(Interesting in that Gordon was quoted in the Chicago papers as saying he either wanted to close or wanted closer's money...)

Lip

WinningUgly!
11-15-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

"The acquisition of hard throwing LHP Billy Wagner, a closer, should give the team confidence. RHP Tom Gordon, who expressed a strong interest in coming to Philadelphia before Wagner's arrival, still could be wooed as a set up man."

(Interesting in that Gordon was quoted in the Chicago papers as saying he either wanted to close or wanted closer's money...)

Lip

Getting payed closer's money would be how they would woo him.

CubKilla
11-16-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Getting payed closer's money would be how they would woo him.

True. But will Philly be willing to dish out closer's money after acquiring Wagner and his $8-$10 million '04 salary?

I don't think they would be.

Brian26
11-16-2003, 01:57 PM
Gordon's pitching on borrowed time right now anyway. No way does he repeat his 2003 performance again. We're lucky we rode him as long as we did, but I wouldn't take another chance on him.

StockdaleForVeep
11-17-2003, 02:54 AM
Why is everyone so hard on Tom Gordon, if trends stay true, hes due to return to form. He was one of the best Closers in Boston history then went down with an elbow injury, then got tainted by the Scrubs and tore a muscle most people prob never heard of, hes shown he can close if given the chance, why not have marte\koch be set up and gordon close or gordon as setup. Sorry, im like stephen king, i like tom gordon alot