PDA

View Full Version : Rosenthal TSN Column On Ozzie

Lip Man 1
11-15-2003, 08:02 PM
Folks:

This week in the printed version of The Sporting News, Ken Rosenthal has a column on the Sox hiring Ozzie Guillen.

Itís possible you may be able to read the column on TSNís web site, it might be worth checking.

In case it isnít here is a summery.

Headline: Playing With Fire In Chicago.

ďCito Gaston would have been a safe choice, but the White Sox couldnít play it safe. They remain second class citizens in the Second City, and the gap threatens to grow wider. That, above all, is why their hiring of Ozzie Guillen as manager makes sense. His passion will transform a fractious team and restless fan base, presuming he is competent enough-and levelheaded enough-to handle the job.Ē

Ken goes on to discuss the fact that the Sox donít have a Mark Prior, Sammy Sosa or Dusty Baker and they donít have a Wrigley Field, but Ozzie immediately makes them more interesting.

He says Gaston would have been too similar to Manager Gandhi evoking yawns from both players and fans.

He says Ozzie will need help from his coaching staff until he gets the needed experience.

He mentions a very interesting stat. Of the 20 active managers hired since the end of the 2001 season, 12 hadnít managed in the majors.

He says today teams would rather hire younger communicators because itís cheaper, but says the success of guys like Tony Pena, Mike Scioscia, Ron Gardenhire and Grady Little can not be overlooked.

He says Ozzie has shown manager potential since he was in the Padres organization but ďhe needs to tone down his act.Ē

ďGuillen is such an effervescent, forceful personality maybe nothing can stop him. He will inject a positive current into a team that in recent years has been drained by the negative energy of Frank Thomas, Albert Belle and David Wells. The Sox lacking better options, are taking a calculated risk. Their ballpark is boring. Their team is uninspiring. Someone has to provide a spark.Ē

(And before you ask... yes Ken has been to Comiskey Park in recent years including this past July for the All Star Game...I already asked him that question...)

Lip

ChiWhiteSox1337
11-15-2003, 08:47 PM
I read this earlier in the week, it's on yahoo:
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=playingwithfireinchicago&prov=tsn&type=lgns

TDog
11-15-2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
He mentions a very interesting stat. Of the 20 active managers hired since the end of the 2001 season, 12 hadnít managed in the majors.

He says today teams would rather hire younger communicators because itís cheaper, but says the success of guys like Tony Pena, Mike Scioscia, Ron Gardenhire and Grady Little can not be overlooked. ...

When was the last time the Sox hired a manager with major league managerial experience? I believe you have to go back to the Jim Fregosi, Doug Radar and Torborg years. Before that, I think, you have to go back to Bob Lemon and the return of Paul Richards, who rode in on the same horse as Bill Veeck. And before that, I think you have to go back to the return of Al Lopez. Most of those seasons were managed by men who got their first shot with he Sox. I may have left someone out, but going back to Don Gutteridge, the Sox have hired eight rookie managers who have averaged more than three years with the team.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the Sox hiring rookie managers. I'm saying it was the norm for the franchise even under previous management and should have been expected.

Some scoffed when Chuck Tanner emerged from Hawaii, but he led the Sox to the third best record in baseball two seasons after they lost 106 games.

Maybe young managers interview better, exuding more enthusiasm. Even Jerry Manuel probably had enthusiasm during his interview.

thezeker
11-15-2003, 10:10 PM
That is probably the best column on the Guillen hiring yet. If there ever was a franchise and team that needed a shot in the arm this is it.

Let's face it since the first half of 2000 this team has wrote the book on underachievment! Gandhi was a big part of that but sometimes a team needs to overcome bad managing. This team has never been capable of that.

Ozzie will learn on the job and make some mistakes. Yet I believe we will see big change in attitide and fundamentals.

Now as the article stated we need to look for some guys who take pride in their work and can pass that feeling onto the rest of the team. Many say chemistry is overrated but I say baloney.
If the Sox would have had any chemistry the last 3 years they would have won at least 2 division championships and maybe more.

I'm sick of getting beat by teams with less talent but more heart. The Sox are taking a chance. Life is a chance. Ozzie is a White Sox. I loved when he said it was the only job he wanted! That's what we need. Someone whose first option is the White Sox; not hjis last option.

So Ozzie, take us for a ride. Bring back the pride that some of the old greats had for this organization. We, as White Sox fans, deserve that! It's been missin for too long!!!!

idseer
11-15-2003, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by thezeker
That is probably the best column on the Guillen hiring yet. If there ever was a franchise and team that needed a shot in the arm this is it.

Let's face it since the first half of 2000 this team has wrote the book on underachievment! Gandhi was a big part of that but sometimes a team needs to overcome bad managing. This team has never been capable of that.

Ozzie will learn on the job and make some mistakes. Yet I believe we will see big change in attitide and fundamentals.

Now as the article stated we need to look for some guys who take pride in their work and can pass that feeling onto the rest of the team. Many say chemistry is overrated but I say baloney.
If the Sox would have had any chemistry the last 3 years they would have won at least 2 division championships and maybe more.

I'm sick of getting beat by teams with less talent but more heart. The Sox are taking a chance. Life is a chance. Ozzie is a White Sox. I loved when he said it was the only job he wanted! That's what we need. Someone whose first option is the White Sox; not hjis last option.

So Ozzie, take us for a ride. Bring back the pride that some of the old greats had for this organization. We, as White Sox fans, deserve that! It's been missin for too long!!!!

i second that!

soxnut
11-16-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by idseer
i second that!

I third that! :D:

I also wanted to comment on what he said about the ballapark. He thinks it is boring? It's that bad to him? What is the guy looking for in a ballpark? Will the renovations make the ballpark un-boring for him? I wonder...... :?:

joepoe
11-16-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
I third that! :D:

I also wanted to comment on what he said about the ballapark. He thinks it is boring? It's that bad to him? What is the guy looking for in a ballpark? Will the renovations make the ballpark un-boring for him? I wonder...... :?:

It is the obligatory cheap shot at the Cell. You know, it is boring. It is clean, there are no posts or Terrace seats where you can't see the sky because of the skyboxes and it doesn't smell like urine.

Best lower bowl in baseball is at 35th and Veeck Drive...and they are re-doing the cheap seats, too.