PDA

View Full Version : Barry Bonds

ChiWhiteSox1337
11-15-2003, 09:59 AM
He just opted out of the MLBPA. Now I normally wouldn't care about this, but it is annoying for videogames. I remember in the 90's the NBA games only had #23 instead of Michael Jordan, and now LaVar Arrington does it in the NFL so he's only "A Redskins Linebacker." I guess now we'll just have a generic outfielder with #25 in baseball videogames :angry:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1661883

ScottyTheSoxFan
11-15-2003, 10:39 AM
bonds is nothing but a conceded cocky ass - i hope he does not win the hr title

MarkEdward
11-15-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/columnists/dan_le_batard/6824151.htm

CubKilla
11-15-2003, 11:05 AM

Or be a part of a WS Championship team.

guillen4life13
11-15-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/columnists/dan_le_batard/6824151.htm

Very good article. Sort of makes me change my opinion on Bonds.

SoxxoS
11-15-2003, 12:18 PM
I would just like to thank him SO MUCH, for donating ALL that money to his alma-mater...ASU. Thanks a lot Barry.

I wish he would move to Tibet and never come back.

JDP
11-15-2003, 12:28 PM
I just wonder how many of his HRs were hit with the new "designer steroid."

StockdaleForVeep
11-15-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
He just opted out of the MLBPA. Now I normally wouldn't care about this, but it is annoying for videogames. I remember in the 90's the NBA games only had #23 instead of Michael Jordan, and now LaVar Arrington does it in the NFL so he's only "A Redskins Linebacker." I guess now we'll just have a generic outfielder with #25 in baseball videogames :angry:

still doesnt effect my white sox super teams i create when i play vid game baseball, terrifying note, in one season simming, joe crede scored 190 runs in the 2 hole. Gotta love stuff like that and havin players like kelly wunsch(he started a few games too) and foulke all playin into their 40's

Deadguy
11-15-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by JDP

Next year we'll really see age take a toll on Barroids.

RichH55
11-15-2003, 04:13 PM

A) Give me 10 Barry Bonds for my team any day of the week

B) I happen to be in the club that thinks Barry gets a bad wrap

Repeat after me....Not giving an interview to the press is not tantamount to being Hitler

jabrch
11-15-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
A) Give me 10 Barry Bonds for my team any day of the week

Repeat after me....Not giving an interview to the press is not tantamount to being Hitler

A) Sure I'd take 10 of the BB from the past. Do you think that you would take 10 BB in the future, if stricter anti-steroid rules are in place?

B) I don't think he does get a bad rap at all. Certainly if he is found to have been a steroid user. If that's the case, the media will have been too nice to him all these years.

and finally C) no, it is not "tantamount to being Hitler" but that is a fairly simplistic comparison - one that you would beat the heck out of if someone else made it. It makes them no more tantamount to being hitler as it makes them a candidate for sainthood. However, it is the responsibility of an athlete, IMHO, who makes such a living on the game, to from time to time, be accomodating to the media who are supposedly the agent of the fans. Barry has done nothing over recent years to lead me to believe he cares about the fans. I don't want him to be a role model for my son. I don't want him to be my friend. I don't want a Bobble head or a celebriduck of him. What I expect is that he not pretend like the fans are not what makes this entire thing possible.

WinningUgly!
11-15-2003, 07:00 PM

I'm with ya! Bonds is my favorite non-White Sox player.

WillieHarris12
11-15-2003, 10:36 PM
Nevermind. Had a change of heart.

RichH55
11-16-2003, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
A) Sure I'd take 10 of the BB from the past. Do you think that you would take 10 BB in the future, if stricter anti-steroid rules are in place?

B) I don't think he does get a bad rap at all. Certainly if he is found to have been a steroid user. If that's the case, the media will have been too nice to him all these years.

and finally C) no, it is not "tantamount to being Hitler" but that is a fairly simplistic comparison - one that you would beat the heck out of if someone else made it. It makes them no more tantamount to being hitler as it makes them a candidate for sainthood. However, it is the responsibility of an athlete, IMHO, who makes such a living on the game, to from time to time, be accomodating to the media who are supposedly the agent of the fans. Barry has done nothing over recent years to lead me to believe he cares about the fans. I don't want him to be a role model for my son. I don't want him to be my friend. I don't want a Bobble head or a celebriduck of him. What I expect is that he not pretend like the fans are not what makes this entire thing possible.

A) He could come to camp with his arm muscles atrophied....as long as his eyes still work he's a dangerous dangerous hitter. He has a hardcore training regiment in the offseason, which does help him though

RichH55
11-16-2003, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by jabrch

Lets try this again

B) Being a Steroid user does not make you evil incarnate(Im back to hyperbole:) )

The tantamount to hitler comment was of course hyperbole, but the point is there.......Simply because a guy doesnt make the press's job easier that is NO excuse for them to villify him

They always report the locker room stuff(*almost always fail to mention that it was the same treatment Cal Ripken got)

They were quick to jump on Barry for the Kent incident(especially after Sosa jump in the fray with his Ivy League warranted opinion)...turns out Barry was right

I simply think he gets a bad wrap, and the fact that he isn't easy to interview is a main part of that IMHO

guillen4life13
11-16-2003, 06:07 PM
Lets try this again

B) Being a Steroid user does not make you evil incarnate(Im back to hyperbole:) )

The tantamount to hitler comment was of course hyperbole, but the point is there.......Simply because a guy doesnt make the press's job easier that is NO excuse for them to villify him

They always report the locker room stuff(*almost always fail to mention that it was the same treatment Cal Ripken got)

They were quick to jump on Barry for the Kent incident(especially after Sosa jump in the fray with his Ivy League warranted opinion)...turns out Barry was right

I simply think he gets a bad wrap, and the fact that he isn't easy to interview is a main part of that IMHO

I agree.

Deadguy
11-16-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by JDP

There's little to no doubt that Barroids has been using performance enhancing drugs since 2000. But the only question is, why?

He was already the best player in baseball before his recent mind boggling performance.

Back in 1992, when he had a completely different build, he still managed to have an OPS of 1.080, which was more than 100 points higher than anyone else in all of baseball had that year (Frank was second at .975).

So the only possible reasons for him to start taking steroids were to try to steal away some of the glory that guys like Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa got in the late 90's, and to try and possibly get one more lucrative contract out of the Giants before he retired.

joepoe
11-16-2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337

Good lord, it is the end of the world!

MarkEdward
11-16-2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Deadguy
There's little to no doubt that Barroids has been using performance enhancing drugs since 2000. But the only question is, why?

Really? No doubt?

So the only possible reasons for him to start taking steroids were to try to steal away some of the glory that guys like Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa got in the late 90's, and to try and possibly get one more lucrative contract out of the Giants before he retired.

Yeah, or maybe he's just not taking steroids...