PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie Wants Mágglio to Stay

Viva Magglio
11-14-2003, 10:38 PM
According to an article writen by Sully in the Tribune, Ozzie Guillen wants Mágglio to say. However, Ozzie also realizes that baseball is "a business."

For those of you Tribune-registered (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-031114soxmain,1,1119002.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

CubKilla
11-14-2003, 11:15 PM
I don't think anybody in their right mind wants Magglio to go except the Cheapskate that is supposed to pay him for '04 :angry: .

RedPinStripes
11-15-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
I don't think anybody in their right mind wants Magglio to go except the Cheapskate that is supposed to pay him for '04 :angry: .

And what pisses me off about that is, Jerry's the one who gave him that contract , but the way it looks , he had no intention of paying the full price he offered.

:reinsy
"15 million............Pay the full contract..............Keep a superstar here for his career without giving him a pay cut.......... Hmmmmmmm.............*****!"

RichH55
11-15-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
And what pisses me off about that is, Jerry's the one who gave him that contract , but the way it looks , he had no intention of paying the full price he offered.

:reinsy
"15 million............Pay the full contract..............Keep a superstar here for his career without giving him a pay cut.......... Hmmmmmmm.............*****!"

Look....if he isn't going to be here next season, then you have to look at moving him, it doesn't matter if he makes 150 million or 8 dollars, thats a concern. The fact that he is taking up a large chunk of salary is also a concern

If you sign someone to a deal, and at a certain point, the deal becomes one that is too burdensome to fielding a winning club, then paying off the end of the deal and losing the player in the offseason just to "prove something" is foolish pride

dougs78
11-15-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Look....if he isn't going to be here next season, then you have to look at moving him, it doesn't matter if he makes 150 million or 8 dollars, thats a concern. The fact that he is taking up a large chunk of salary is also a concern

If you sign someone to a deal, and at a certain point, the deal becomes one that is too burdensome to fielding a winning club, then paying off the end of the deal and losing the player in the offseason just to "prove something" is foolish pride

Yeah, fact of the matter is that Magg's contract went from 6 to 9 and now to 14 million. I remember him first signing the contract, i thought, "good, that means Jerry can sit back and collect the interest and then have enough to pay him." However, I realize now that was optimistic thinking. What Jerry was really doing was saying, "Ha, I can pay a superstar way under market value and when its time to pay the piper I'll just trade him away."

Either way its a smart business decision, but the fact of the matter is that baseball is a sport and not just a business. And as a fan all the business in the world does nothing more than piss you off, unless it results in wins.

doublem23
11-15-2003, 06:07 PM
God, can this guy open his mouth without mentioning Frank Thomas?

Jjav829
11-15-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
God, can this guy open his mouth without mentioning Frank Thomas?

Just my opinion, but I would guess a lot of this is the media baiting him. Hes not the type of guy to shrug off the question quickly. What he said in the press conference was good stuff. Now they want more out of him and want to hear him rip Frank some more so they are going to press the issue.

doublem23
11-15-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Just my opinion, but I would guess a lot of this is the media baiting him. Hes not the type of guy to shrug off the question quickly. What he said in the press conference was good stuff. Now they want more out of him and want to hear him rip Frank some more so they are going to press the issue.

Yeah, that's what I figure is going on, too. Still, man, I don't think he's gone 5 minutes in the spotlight without mentioning the Big Hurt.