PDA

View Full Version : Updated Renovation Pics!

dllrbll7
11-14-2003, 08:21 PM
If you go to the Soxs official website click on the Upper deck renovation pic link and they have new pictures from 11/8 to 11/14. When you first click on the link the old pics come up but go to the scroll down menu and click on the news date.

Chicago White Sox (www.whitesox.com)

ChiWhiteSox1337
11-14-2003, 09:27 PM
thanks for the link. pretty amazing how fast they're doing this

nasox
11-14-2003, 10:00 PM
if u look at the oldest pics and then the most recent pics, you can see immediatelly what a difference this has made.

Realist
11-14-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by nasox
if u look at the oldest pics and then the most recent pics, you can see immediatelly what a difference this has made.

I heard that the pitch in the upper deck at New Comiskey is about the same as most of the newer parks built after it, but the extra rows at the top and the old roof created an illusion that the upper deck shot straight up into the sky. Now that I can see it with the roof and top rows removed, it makes sense. You can really see how much better it's going to look in that last pic.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-15-2003, 08:04 AM
Nice sig file, Realist. I love The Jam.

:gulp:

PaleHoseGeorge
11-15-2003, 08:44 AM
I have two thoughts as I look at these renovation pictures.

1.) Removing the top six rows and that stupid cantilevered roof has made a HUGE difference in the scale of the upper deck. It doesn't seem nearly so intimidating any longer.

2.) The decision to put the entrance ramps at the bottom of the deck is looking more stupid than ever. Those are choice front row seats that were sacrificed for no good reason. The Sox were stoned ****ing idiots when they designed this ballpark.

More to follow, I'm sure.

Realist
11-15-2003, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Nice sig file, Realist. I love The Jam.

Thank you very much. I love 'em too. Besides, I didn't think using the lyrics of The Mentors would get past the language filters.

Hey, the Guiness is yummy, but I think a double Jameson/rocks/splash o'soda would be better. I like the bubbles. :cool:

joecrede
11-15-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I have two thoughts as I look at these renovation pictures.

1.) Removing the top six rows and that stupid cantilevered roof has made a HUGE difference in the scale of the upper deck. It doesn't seem nearly so intimidating any longer.

Is it the top six rows as reported in the Southtown or top eight rows as I've seen everywhere else(including the Sox website (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20031024&content_id=592474&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp)?)

At any rate, it does make a huge difference. It brings the UD in line with the UD's at the parks that were built after it in terms of steepness (the Cell's still might be a couple degrees steeper, but taking into account that the lower deck provides the best views of any of the parks built after it I've been to, that trade-off is more than acceptable for me.)

2.) The decision to put the entrance ramps at the bottom of the deck is looking more stupid than ever. Those are choice front row seats that were sacrificed for no good reason. The Sox were stoned ****ing idiots when they designed this ballpark.

I have a lot of family members in the construction business and the design of New Comiskey has been a great topic of conversation at family gatherings over the years and the placements of the entrance ramps is usually the first thing that comes up. :D:

Some of them were part of the crew that built New Comiskey and one theory on why the ramps are at the bottom has to do with design limitations of the park being built above ground coupled with the desire for the UD not to overhang the LD.

Don't know how valid that is, but Soldier Field which is also above ground has entrance ramps on the west side that are at the bottom of the UD, the difference is it has a "club level" section that overhangs the deck directly underneath.

voodoochile
11-15-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by joecrede
Is it the top six rows as reported in the Southtown or top eight rows as I've seen everywhere else(including the Sox website (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20031024&content_id=592474&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp)?)

At any rate, it does make a huge difference. It brings the UD in line with the UD's at the parks that were built after it in terms of steepness (the Cell's still might be a couple degrees steeper, but taking into account that the lower deck provides the best views of any of the parks built after it I've been to, that trade-off is more than acceptable for me.)

I have a lot of family members in the construction business and the design of New Comiskey has been a great topic of conversation at family gatherings over the years and the placements of the entrance ramps is usually the first thing that comes up. :D:

Some of them were part of the crew that built New Comiskey and one theory on why the ramps are at the bottom has to do with design limitations of the park being built above ground coupled with the desire for the UD not to overhang the LD.

Don't know how valid that is, but Soldier Field which is also above ground has entrance ramps on the west side that are at the bottom of the UD, the difference is it has a "club level" section that overhangs the deck directly underneath.

They took 10 out to do the work, but supposedly they are putting 4 of them back

chisoxfanatic
11-15-2003, 01:20 PM
Those pictures look quite nice...The Ballpark's gonna be one hell of a place to watch a baseball game when all rennovations are finished (as if it isn't already).

I've heard that next offseason, they will be putting in a home run porch in right field!

RedPinStripes
11-15-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
They took 10 out to do the work, but supposedly they are putting 4 of them back

Now that's dumb imo. The shorter they make that UD look, the less people will complain about how high it is. Replace those rows with another hr porch in LF!

That's how we judged a hr growing up. Lower deck, Upper deck bomb and the mother of all homers was a roof shot. Now the only real mental measureing tape you have is a concourse shot and i think there has been about 5 of those in 13 years.

CubKilla
11-15-2003, 02:19 PM
What was dumb was to let a cheapskate dictate to the taxpayers of Illinois the stadium that he wanted..... but wouldn't pay for himself.

RedPinStripes
11-15-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
What was dumb was to let a cheapskate dictate to the taxpayers of Illinois the stadium that he wanted..... but wouldn't pay for himself.

If Daley see that he'll snap. :D:

nasox
11-15-2003, 03:31 PM
ME CANT WAIT