PDA

View Full Version : Olivo named Topps All-Rookie catcher

kittle42
11-14-2003, 02:31 PM
A down year for rookie catchers, I suppose.

ondafarm
11-14-2003, 02:45 PM
I think Olivio is a solid catcher, all-around.

His batting clearly needed another year in the minors (no AAA time.)

Defensively, he has a great arm, called a good game and seemed to learn a lot from splitting time with Sandy Alomar. Not an All-Star (at least not yet) but a solid contributer to the team. I don't know of any other rookie catcher who did as well.

I say Congrats Olivio !!!

Randar68
11-14-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
A down year for rookie catchers, I suppose.

Yeah, I mean he only threw out 35.8% of attempted thiefs, as well as have a CERA of 3.81.

He has the best Arm and footwork of any catcher in the AL as a rookie.

As usual, the defensive aspect of catching is overlooked for a few points of batting average.

thecell
11-14-2003, 02:48 PM
If he learns how to hit a curve ball, I think he will be OK for years to come.

Dadawg_77
11-14-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Yeah, I mean he only threw out 35.8% of attempted thiefs, as well as have a CERA of 3.81.

As usual, the defensive aspect of catching is overlooked for a few points of batting average.

Assuming Mike is healthly, who would you rather have Pizza or Olivio?

SoxxoS
11-14-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by thecell
If he learns how to hit a curve ball, I think he will be OK for years to come.

Must be Cerrano. :smile:

cwsox
11-14-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by ondafarm
I think Olivio is a solid catcher, all-around.

His batting clearly needed another year in the minors (no AAA time.)

Defensively, he has a great arm, called a good game and seemed to learn a lot from splitting time with Sandy Alomar. Not an All-Star (at least not yet) but a solid contributer to the team. I don't know of any other rookie catcher who did as well.

I say Congrats Olivio !!!

agreed all the way -

way to go Miguel!

washington
11-14-2003, 03:06 PM
I think Olivo has the best arm of any catcher in baseball, I just hope the Sox brain trust is good enough to help him be a decent hitter.

Shoeless Joe
11-14-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Assuming Mike is healthly, who would you rather have Pizza or Olivio?

What kind of Pizza? If it's deep dish sausage then I would forget about Olivo in a second! :D:

ondafarm
11-14-2003, 03:14 PM
Here's an article complaining about Matsui being left off the Rookie All-Star team.

I, for one, am sick of the media's whining for the Yankees. Oh how terrible that they lost the World Series on their own home ground. MLB seems to think that a strong team in NY is a boon for baseball. I think just the opposite. Everybody I know of, admittedly a biased sample, hates the Yankees. In an off year for them, people still pack the road parks to seem them get beat. If anything more so. They'll always draw well at home. Of course, playing all their games in Questec parks next year virtually guarentees that they will have a down year.

ondafarm
11-14-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by ondafarm
Here's an article complaining about Matsui being left off the Rookie All-Star team.

Here it is:
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-all-rookieteam&prov=ap&type=lgns

MisterB
11-14-2003, 03:46 PM

I wish batting average were his only offensive weakness. Then again I wish we didn't have to worry about the catcher position having to supply a lot of offense. :(:

MRKARNO
11-14-2003, 06:19 PM
Who was he even competing with?

MisterB
11-14-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Who was he even competing with?

umm...Josh Bard? :?:

I don't think any other rookie catchers got enough playing time to even be noticed.

Frank the Tank
11-15-2003, 10:54 PM
Does anybody know how long Olivo is signed for? I hope the sox sign Olivo to a long-term deal. Why not sign him now for 4 or 5 years before he becomes a payroll liability when he proves himself? There is no doubt in my mind that if his bat comes around he will be the best catcher in baseball.

Daver
11-15-2003, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Frank the Tank
Does anybody know how long Olivo is signed for? I hope the sox sign Olivo to a long-term deal. Why not sign him now for 4 or 5 years before he becomes a payroll liability when he proves himself? There is no doubt in my mind that if his bat comes around he will be the best catcher in baseball.

They have four more years to decide on Olivo.

jabrch
11-16-2003, 01:32 AM
I hope you spent a lot of time in the cage this off season and you come back next year and hit even .265 for us. That would be major improvement and set a very nice trend.

Welcome to the White Sox, I'd love to see you a part of this thing for a long time to come!

dugwood31
11-16-2003, 02:11 AM
Miguel's swing seems quick and he has a decent baseball IQ. Combined with his obvious defensive skills, he should develop into a decent hitter and a very good overall player. Same goes for Crede, IMO.

Nick@Nite
11-16-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by dugwood31
Miguel's swing seems quick and he has a decent baseball IQ.

When he get's on with a base knock, I'm happy as hell for Miguel... until I realize that his base running scares the be-jesus out of me. I hope he'll be improved in that facet of the game for 04.

I do think Olivo is a heck of a backstop; cat-like reflexes, great arm, blocking balls in the dirt, etc.

Congratulations Miguel! :gulp:

Brian26
11-16-2003, 01:54 PM
Does anybody know how long Olivo is signed for? I hope the sox sign Olivo to a long-term deal. Why not sign him now for 4 or 5 years before he becomes a payroll liability when he proves himself?

This is such a catch-22, it's unbelievable.

If we offer him a long-term contract now for decent-to-big money, and two years from now he pulls a Konerko or Koch on us, then we're screwed. So he'll be tied up for millions of dollars a year but have blown out knees or can't hit a lick. That's a payroll liability.

Another option is to not pay him a dime over what he's making now until he becomes arbitration eligible, then haggle with him every year at arbitration and really piss him off. Then we've got a Jack McDowell/Mark Buehrle/Scottie Pippen situation on our hands where the guy is going to leave once he becomes a FA anyway.

Playing baseball GM isn't as easy at it looks.

Lip Man 1
11-16-2003, 02:32 PM
Brian 26 says:

"Playing baseball GM isn't as easy at it looks."

Especially when the owner of the team says things like "Chicago has always been a Cubs town," and claims the ox are a "small market" team.

Lip

Frank the Tank
11-16-2003, 04:09 PM
I think Olivo is the safest investment the sox could make for the future. He is an excellent defensive catcher, he calls a good game, and he runs very well for a catcher (speed). The only negative is that his bat might not develop. He may always be a < .250 hitter. But I'm willing to forgive a low BA for a great catcher.

Daver
11-16-2003, 04:12 PM
I think Olivo is the safest investment the sox could make for the future. He is an excellent defensive catcher, he calls a good game,

Olivo doesn't call games,Joe Nosseck does.

Randar68
11-17-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Olivo doesn't call games,Joe Nosseck does.

What did you notice or hear on that? I know Colon called his own games, but IIRC, Olivo was only checking into the dugout when runners were on. Did you notice or hear something to confirm Nossek is calling the whole game?

Daver
11-17-2003, 06:01 PM
What did you notice or hear on that? I know Colon called his own games, but IIRC, Olivo was only checking into the dugout when runners were on. Did you notice or hear something to confirm Nossek is calling the whole game?

Nosseck confirmed it himself in one of the Newspapers late in the season,he made the comment that it was something Miguel was going to have to work on harder in ST.