PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie interview on Jim Rome show!

joeynach
11-14-2003, 01:53 PM
Did anyone else catch the ozzie interview on Jim rome. It was on ESPN 1000 aboout an hour ago. It was such a good interview is going kick this team in the pants until they win every game they can. Its about time the sox have a guy who will get this team some exposure. We cant let our city be over run by lovable losers fans. The sad part was when ozzie comented on maggs. He said of course they want to keep him, everyone loves him. Hes home grown and a superstar, our star. But he said Williams told him at this point he jsut simply cant afford him. Unless a miracle occurs in the finnancial situation ozzie, us, and everyone else will be sad to see him go. Anyway did anyone else catch the interview.

Hondo
11-14-2003, 01:57 PM
No I hate Rome but if Ozzie isn't talking out of his arse and Maggs is gone I just hope we get some prospects and guys we can use now.

joeynach
11-14-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Hondo
No I hate Rome but if Ozzie isn't talking out of his arse and Maggs is gone I just hope we get some prospects and guys we can use now.

His arse what are you talking about??

Hondo
11-14-2003, 02:05 PM
I guess what I meant was I wonder if he misconstrued what Williams said.

I don't know. I love Maggs but I'm sort of ambivilent towards him getting traded. I'd rather see them keep CLee. I think he's coming around with the bat and is undervalued as an OF.

Huisj
11-14-2003, 02:50 PM
It was an excellent interview. Say what you will about Rome, but he's an excellent interviewer. He knows when to let the other person talk, and lets them shape the interview rather than the obnoxious way most sports talk people do interviews now days.

Ozzie's big emphasis is how he wants the team to have fun playing because that's the way to get the most out of guys, implying that last year no one was having fun, also implying that Thomas doesn't have fun playing anymore and that in order for him to get back to the level he used to play at, he needs to have fun (does this mean playing in the field???) He said the sox have as much or more talent than Florida had, so why can't they put it all together and surprise everyone too? If nothing else, at least he seems excited and passionate about what he's getting into.

Unfortunately, the way he talked about the Ordonez situation didn't sound so good. He kept saying stuff like even if they don't have the most talented players on the field, he at least wants ones who play their hardest all the time and will try to do whatever it takes to win a game. While he said right before that that he has Ordonez written in as his right fielder and #3 hitter (yes, he said #3), this almost sounds like a bit of a rip on him like what some people around here were implying last week that Ordonez kind of dogged it last year.

indysoxfan
11-14-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Huisj
It was an excellent interview. Say what you will about Rome, but he's an excellent interviewer. He knows when to let the other person talk, and lets them shape the interview rather than the obnoxious way most sports talk people do interviews now days.

Ozzie's big emphasis is how he wants the team to have fun playing because that's the way to get the most out of guys, implying that last year no one was having fun, also implying that Thomas doesn't have fun playing anymore and that in order for him to get back to the level he used to play at, he needs to have fun (does this mean playing in the field???) He said the sox have as much or more talent than Florida had, so why can't they put it all together and surprise everyone too? If nothing else, at least he seems excited and passionate about what he's getting into.

Unfortunately, the way he talked about the Ordonez situation didn't sound so good. He kept saying stuff like even if they don't have the most talented players on the field, he at least wants ones who play their hardest all the time and will try to do whatever it takes to win a game. While he said right before that that he has Ordonez written in as his right fielder and #3 hitter (yes, he said #3), this almost sounds like a bit of a rip on him like what some people around here were implying last week that Ordonez kind of dogged it last year.

i thought is was a good interview also...

did you notice the change in ozzie's voice when rome asked him about maggs? Ozzie was pretty upbeat until the subject of maggs came up.... then he got quiet and you could tell he was not comfortable talking about maggs. :?:

nasox
11-14-2003, 05:43 PM
Jim Rome is the worst guy on radio ever. How anyone can listen to him is beyond me. THis is him:
I think Alomar.........was jaking it............30 seconds later.........with the mets..........yes he was

fquaye149
11-14-2003, 08:10 PM
that's a little bit of an exaggeration...yeah rome is repetitive and pauses to think sometimes...but he does a good interview

Huisj
11-14-2003, 08:39 PM
20 minutes after the interview, he talked about people not liking his show. he says you gotta give it time, listen to it some for a week or two, because at first you don't get it and it doesn't make sense because it's different. He was saying this in reference to broadcasting live from chicago (which he was doing today) and having his market in chicago be increasingly supportive as they came to enjoy the show since he's only been on ESPN 1000 for 5 or 6 months now. I used to hate him, and then I listened to him at work all summer this year because it was the only show I could pick up where I worked. He grew and grew on me, I love his show now.

flo-B-flo
11-14-2003, 09:40 PM
Rome is a pompous, arrogant, blow hard, who is one of the great sports interviewers of this time. Ask Chris Everett.

Twin Killing
11-14-2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by flo-B-flo
Rome is a pompous, arrogant, blow hard, who is one of the great sports interviewers of this time. Ask Chris Everett.

Or Jim Everett

jordan23ventura
11-15-2003, 03:26 PM
I have to agree that Jim Rome has the same sort of endearing presence that could only be rivaled by a select few. N'Sync, Courtney Love, Depeche Mode, and Tony Little are examples. Nonetheless, despite the fact that he often seems to prefer gravitating to the toilet bowl stories of the sports world rather than the actual gameplay, and his opinions are often so ridiculous and poorly founded that you'd swear you were listening to Jose Canseco preach to children at a DARE rally, he is one of the best that there is bar none. The only difference, in my eyes, between a "Truth" anti-smoking ad and "Rome is Burning" is that somehow I can't change the channel when he sickens me.

fquaye149
11-15-2003, 04:59 PM
^scathing