PDA

View Full Version : Pierzinski to Giants

Hondo
11-14-2003, 12:45 PM
Levine reports he's headed to SF for Joe Nathan and a prospect.

Good Riddance

chosk8
11-14-2003, 12:46 PM
Bruce Levine just broke into the Dan Patrick show on ESPN 1000 in Chicago and reports A.J is going to the Giants for some prospects including the Giants first round pick from 2000, RHP, Boof Bonser.

Dadawg_77
11-14-2003, 12:47 PM
Good move by the Twins, this makes them better by opening a slot at catcher.

chosk8
11-14-2003, 12:49 PM
I'd imagine they think Joe Mauer is ready to step in.

Hondo
11-14-2003, 12:51 PM
I posted this thread the same time you did. Weird. Anyway. I'm glad to see him go. Unless of course Mauer turns out to be a complete stud and kills the Sox for the next 10 years.

poorme
11-14-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Hondo
Unless of course Mauer turns out to be a complete stud and kills the Sox for the next 10 years.

I think this is highly probable.

Dadawg_77
11-14-2003, 12:57 PM
I posted this thread the same time you did. Weird. Anyway. I'm glad to see him go. Unless of course Mauer turns out to be a complete stud and kills the Sox for the next 10 years.

That is what scares me.

Brian26
11-14-2003, 12:58 PM
A shame that a major league ballclub has to give talent away like this because of salaries, even though they are the enemy.

Hondo
11-14-2003, 12:59 PM
I guess we need to hope they lose both Hawkins and Guardado.

What does Pierzynski leaving do to the Twinkies payroll?

Hondo
11-14-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
A shame that a major league ballclub has to give talent away like this because of salaries, even though they are the enemy.

Yeah but when they are trading away someone to use their no.1 overall draft pick then you can't feel too bad for them.

Dadawg_77
11-14-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Brian26

Actually it isn't. Pierzinski would be only a backup if Mauer is ready. They didn't give up talent as much as they create opportunity for Mauer and prospect who might fill some other holes.

Dadawg_77
11-14-2003, 01:02 PM

A arbritration vet is replaced by someone who will make about 300K

Hondo
11-14-2003, 01:03 PM
Super.

Well there is a lot of talk about this Mauer guy but can he hit like Olivo?

I can only hope he does.

Foulke You
11-14-2003, 01:23 PM

How sad is it that we Sox fans are reduced to hoping that the Twins out do us in cutting payroll? Two AL Central contenders that plan on giving away players (i.e. Maggs) or letting players leave (Twins-Hawkins, Guardado, Sox- Gordon, Sullivan, Colon, Everett) At least the Twins have some sort of excuse. They are a small market team in a crappy stadium. What excuse does Reinsdorf have in the nation's third largest market in his luxury suite filled publicly funded stadium? None whatsoever.

:reinsy
"(Sigh) It's so hard competing in small market Chicago. We can't possibly compete! Why should we spend more than $55 million when it has always been a Cubs town anyway. It's a good thing I'm here to make sure fiscal responsibility is maintained."

duke of dorwood
11-14-2003, 01:24 PM
:KW

See, we've improved already. Our plan works

bc2k
11-14-2003, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by poorme

I think this is highly probable.

Originally posted by Dadawg_77
That is what scares me.

Hey, he's no Prior.

Tekijawa
11-14-2003, 02:07 PM
I'll Miss booing AJ next year!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=mlb&id=1661697

Shoeless Joe
11-14-2003, 02:15 PM
Everyone is overlooking the guy the Twins got in return: Joe Nathan. This guy is a pretty good righty that can easily assume either the set-up role or closer role if the Twins wanted him to.

Still getting A.J. out of our way is one of the best things I've heard all off-season.

Hondo
11-14-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
How sad is it that we Sox fans are reduced to hoping that the Twins out do us in cutting payroll? Two AL Central contenders that plan on giving away players (i.e. Maggs) or letting players leave (Twins-Hawkins, Guardado, Sox- Gordon, Sullivan, Colon, Everett) At least the Twins have some sort of excuse. They are a small market team in a crappy stadium. What excuse does Reinsdorf have in the nation's third largest market in his luxury suite filled publicly funded stadium? None whatsoever.

:reinsy
"(Sigh) It's so hard competing in small market Chicago. We can't possibly compete! Why should we spend more than $55 million when it has always been a Cubs town anyway. It's a good thing I'm here to make sure fiscal responsibility is maintained."

Wouldn't it be nice if we were worried about things other than salaries most of the time?

I want to live in a world where there is no such thing as small market and big market. And in this world there would be beer springs, Work would be optional, Deep Dish Pizza would be good for you and all girls would be hot WITH personalites.. It be like an adult version of the factory in Willy Wonka

jeremyb1
11-14-2003, 02:58 PM
Wow, Nathan and Bosner? I really like that deal for the Twins.

john2499
11-14-2003, 02:59 PM
Yeah but when they are trading away someone to use their no.1 overall draft pick then you can't feel too bad for them.

You're right, I actually feel "good" for them.
I think they only reason they took Mauer was because they could not have signed Mark Prior. I'm glad Prior is not in our division, I'd rather take our chances against Mauer.

jabrch
11-14-2003, 03:35 PM
he leaves the Twins...and he doesn't go to the Cubs? I think that is a win/win for the Sox. Mauer was coming - like it or not. Nathan and Biff is a lot of talent - but those guys just help to replace the soon-to-happen losses of Guardado and Hawkins.

This is nothing but good for us...

minastirith67
11-14-2003, 03:52 PM
This is one Sox killer we may never see again, except maybe in the postseason.

MisterB
11-14-2003, 05:10 PM
Latest update from the bay area: A.J. Pierzinski and PTBNL or cash for Joe Nathan, Boof Bonser and Francisco Liriano.

Foulke You
11-14-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Shoeless Joe
Everyone is overlooking the guy the Twins got in return: Joe Nathan. This guy is a pretty good righty that can easily assume either the set-up role or closer role if the Twins wanted him to.

I think the deal for Nathan pretty much guarantees that Latroy Hawkins is not going to re-up with the Twins. C'mon KW, figure out how to fit Hawkins into the Reinsdorfian Ebeneezer Scrooge budget.

ma-gaga
11-14-2003, 05:22 PM
Dammit.
It's a good move for the Twins, but I don't like it.

I just don't like the idea of trading an established position player for a relief pitcher and pitching prospects. "There's no such thing as a pitching prospect." I guess it's Mauer time.

Lip Man 1
11-14-2003, 09:10 PM
Ken Rosenthal was talking about Nathan on TSN radio.

Said he has closer stuff, is two years removed from arm surgery so he should finally be back up to full speed, and can replace either Guardado or Hawkins in the Twins bullpen set up. He said if somehow the Twins keep those guys plus Nathan they'll have one of the top bullpens in all of baseball.

Lip

RichH55
11-14-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Ken Rosenthal was talking about Nathan on TSN radio.

Said he has closer stuff, is two years removed from arm surgery so he should finally be back up to full speed, and can replace either Guardado or Hawkins in the Twins bullpen set up. He said if somehow the Twins keep those guys plus Nathan they'll have one of the top bullpens in all of baseball.

Lip

They don't need to keep those guys....you can build a great bullpen for cheap...and getting Nathan is a great Chess move

If you can get the same result for 10 million less, why not?

I know your thing is spend money just to spend it, to prove something, but this is a great great move by the Twins

You deal a guy when you already have his replacement, you get a cheap replacement for at least one of the bullpen arms you are going to lose via FA(And gain draft picks for those guys)

AND you get a great prospect(his great name being just a nice little ancilliary benefit)

Simply a great move by the Twins

Dub25
11-14-2003, 10:13 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Foulke You
[B]How sad is it that we Sox fans are reduced to hoping that the Twins out do us in cutting payroll? Two AL Central contenders that plan on giving away players (i.e. Maggs) or letting players leave (Twins-Hawkins, Guardado, Sox- Gordon, Sullivan, Colon, Everett)

I think the Sox and Twins are in a race to see who can be worse than the Tigers or the AL Central as a whole is trying to become the worst division of all time.

hold2dibber
11-15-2003, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
They don't need to keep those guys....you can build a great bullpen for cheap...and getting Nathan is a great Chess move

If you can get the same result for 10 million less, why not?

I know your thing is spend money just to spend it, to prove something, but this is a great great move by the Twins

You deal a guy when you already have his replacement, you get a cheap replacement for at least one of the bullpen arms you are going to lose via FA(And gain draft picks for those guys)

AND you get a great prospect(his great name being just a nice little ancilliary benefit)

Simply a great move by the Twins

I completely agree, Rich. I think the Twinkees completely ripped 'em off here. A.J. is good, but not great and they got some serious talent in return. Plus, they have a great replacement waiting in the wings. The only question is whether Mauer is ready now, or in '05. I would expect them to sign a decent stop-gap catcher like the Sox did last year so Mauer can get his 85-100 games in without the weight of the world on his shoulders. I don't really understand the move from the Giants perspective.