PDA

View Full Version : Sox Bullpen

MHOUSE
11-14-2003, 09:34 AM
I saw in the ESPN.com notes that Kerry Ligtenburg's option has been declined by Baltimore. He's 32 and has a solid 3.09 career ERA in 322 games for Atlanta and Baltimore. He did well against us when we played the Os and I think he would strengthen our bullpen a lot.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1661277)

What are some other names you'd like to see in the Sox 'pen for 2004??

kittle42
11-14-2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE

Tony Fossas, Jesse Orosco, and Mike Magnante. Oh, and Rich Garces and Jose Paniagua.

Now there's a pen!

Gumshoe
11-14-2003, 10:20 AM
I've said it before. I'd like to keep Marte at an elevated position, he is OUR BEST RELIEVER. I'd love to get a guy like Hawkins, keep sullivan. If we had those three, WOW, that would be sweet. I think Gordon is OK but very overrated, and he might be ready for an injury --- he's DEFINITELY not worth more than 2 MIL either. Ligtenberg could be useful. I'd go after Hawkins though.

Gumshoe

hold2dibber
11-14-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
I've said it before. I'd like to keep Marte at an elevated position, he is OUR BEST RELIEVER. I'd love to get a guy like Hawkins, keep sullivan. If we had those three, WOW, that would be sweet. I think Gordon is OK but very overrated, and he might be ready for an injury --- he's DEFINITELY not worth more than 2 MIL either. Ligtenberg could be useful. I'd go after Hawkins though.

Gumshoe

Hawkins would be great, but he's going to be expensive and the Yankees are rumored to be going after him. I like Gordon more than you do, but I agree his injury history makes me nervous. If the Sox could get Sullivan back in the fold and then sign Lightenberg or Timlin, I'd be thrilled. But I wouldn't mind bringing Gordon back, either. With Marte as closer and Wunsch and Schoenweis as well, I don't see any need for another lefty.

Marte
Sullivan (RH set-up)
Lightenberg (middle innings)
Wunsch (LH set-up)
Wright (long relief)
Schoenweiss (middle innings/long relief)
(Rauch) (long relief)

I think that'd be a pretty good pen.

CubKilla
11-14-2003, 10:48 AM
Lightenburg would be a nice additon. I'd also like to the the Sox pursue Hawkins and Kline.

jeremyb1
11-14-2003, 02:59 PM
I saw in the ESPN.com notes that Kerry Ligtenburg's option has been declined by Baltimore. He's 32 and has a solid 3.09 career ERA in 322 games for Atlanta and Baltimore. He did well against us when we played the Os and I think he would strengthen our bullpen a lot.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1661277)

Wow, I didn't know his option expired. I really wanted us to sign him last offseason. We should pounce on him when the time is right.

washington
11-14-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
I've said it before. I'd like to keep Marte at an elevated position, he is OUR BEST RELIEVER. Gumshoe

I just hope The Tinkerer didn't blow his arm out by using him in so many games the past 2 years.

kittle42
11-14-2003, 04:21 PM
Here's one idea *not* to employ:

Cleveland Indians: declined to exercise their 2004 option on P Danys Baez.

hold2dibber
11-14-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
If the Sox could get Sullivan back in the fold and then sign Lightenberg or Timlin, I'd be thrilled.

Timlin's off the market - Red Sox re-signed him today; $2.5 mm for '04 with an option for $2.7 mm for '05. It'll be interesting to see how the market plays out for other non-closers. My guess is guys like Lightenberg and Sullivan won't fare quite as well.

MarkEdward
11-14-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
Wow, I didn't know his option expired. I really wanted us to sign him last offseason. We should pounce on him when the time is right.

Kerry Ligtenberg would be a very nice acquisition. Career ERA+ of 140 on about 330 innings. Plus, since he didn't put up those magical save numbers this year, he'll probably fly under the radar.

I'm not a big fan of Kenny's moves, but (and I've said this before) he's very proficient at picking up cheap bullpen talent, Foulke trade notwithstanding.

kittle42
11-14-2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
I'm not a big fan of Kenny's moves, but (and I've said this before) he's very proficient at picking up cheap bullpen talent, Foulke trade notwithstanding.

His best pickup being Joe Bread and Water.

RichH55
11-14-2003, 09:58 PM
You have Marte...maybe take a run at having Gordon back

Wunsch will be there, Wright too

Non Tender Schoenweiss(2 million is too much for him IMHO)

Bring up Ginter and Pacheco(however you spell it)

Maybe sign Corey Thurman or Pete Munro very cheaply

Trade Koch(though keep him if the only offer in the world is Cedeno)--> if you keep Koch then obviously no Gordon

Bullpen doesn't have to ben expensive to be good

MarkEdward
11-14-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
You have Marte...maybe take a run at having Gordon back
Wunsch will be there, Wright too
Non Tender Schoenweiss(2 million is too much for him IMHO)
Maybe sign Corey Thurman or Pete Munro very cheaply
Trade Koch(though keep him if the only offer in the world is Cedeno)--> if you keep Koch then obviously no Gordon

Here's what I'd try:
Ace reliever: Marte.
Long reliever: Schoeneweis (I can't see him getting released).
Lefty #1: Wunsch.
Lefty #2: hm... Felix Heredia? (Remember, we're on a budget).
Righty #1: Ligtenberg?
Righty #2: Koch; if traded, Ginter or Wright.

Then, we can have a rotation of, say:
Loaiza
Buehrle
Garland
Miguel Batista (132 ERA+ this year, though at age 32 I'm afraid he's going to fall off this cliff real soon)
Rauch

Bullpen doesn't have to ben expensive to be good

Exactly.

StillMissOzzie
11-14-2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
Tony Fossas, Jesse Orosco, and Mike Magnante. Oh, and Rich Garces and Jose Paniagua.

Now there's a pen!

You forgot the teal on this post ( I hope! )

SMO

StillMissOzzie
11-15-2003, 12:06 AM

Odder yet, his option was for only $1.2 million. Ligtenburg may think that this is a blessing.

SMO

JDP
11-15-2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by RichH55

Are we ever going to see Gary Majewski?

RichH55
11-15-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by JDP
Are we ever going to see Gary Majewski?

Of course we will......if you are from the area, he will be at the IHOP off the highway...normally tuesday through friday night, the late shift.....please tip generously

MRKARNO
11-15-2003, 04:38 PM
What about Wylie? His ERA is in the 3's as a reliever in the AFL