PDA

View Full Version : Building a team on a $65 million budget

JRIG
11-13-2003, 08:17 PM
1. Sign Luis Castillo for 4 years, 28 million ($6 million in year one)
2. Trade Mags to LA for Perez and Mota
3. Sign Pedro Astacio for 1 year/$2 million
4. Sign Steve Reed and Al Levine for just under $1 million each
5. Sign Matt Stairs for 1 year/$1 million
6. Re-sign Graffanino for $1 million to play SS vs. LHP
7. Assumes Garland will make about $2 million, either in long term contract or arbitration
8. Assumes between Buehrle and Lee, $10 million will be given to them in arbitration
9. Assumes Reed is ready.

Lineup vs. RHP
1. Castillo 2B ($6 million)
2. Reed CF (300,000)
3. Thomas 1B (6 million)
4. Lee LF (5 million)
5. Stairs RF (1 million)
6. Konerko DH (8 million)
7. Valentin SS (5 million)
8. Crede 3B (450,000)
9. Olivo C (400,000)

Lineup vs LHP
Castillo
Graffanino (1 million)
Thomas
Lee
Konerko
Reed
Rowand (400,000)
Crede
Olivo

Rotation: Loaiza (4 million), Buehrle (5 million), Perez (4 million), Garland (2 million), Astacio (2 million)
Bullpen: Koch (6.375), Marte (400,000), Mota (1.2 million), Wunsch (650,000), Levine (900,000), Reed (900,000)

$60.975 million with 4 bench slots open

Stairs mashes right handed pitching. As much as I dislike Rowand, I'm OK with him playing RF (not CF) against LHP only, especially if we're operating on this budget..

I hate to trade Mags and lose his offense, but I need to clear his $14 million to stay under budget. I'm hopeful the first 3 guys in the order will have .370+ OBP and Lee will do well driving them in. Stairs and Konerko are the key Stairs has to keep mashing RHP and Konerko needs to produce something.

I like the bullpen. Mota would probably close, I guess, saving Marte as needed earlier in the game. I've always liked Astacio. If he's healthy he could be a steal.

Comments welcome.

poorme
11-13-2003, 08:22 PM
I like the general idea. Personally, I'd spend everything on pitching. Get Ponson and another starter a little better than Astacio. Skip Castillo.

xil357
11-13-2003, 08:32 PM
Not bad at all, if Maggs must be traded to get under the self-imposed payroll cap.

Trying to move Koch and Konerko ought to be the first priority though, if at all possible. I'd take Weaver straight up for either or both if the Yanks are willing to do that deal.

If Trader Kenny can't move Koch or GIDPaul, then get what you can for Maggs because there is no way they sign him next offseason. Better to trade him a year too early than wait and get nothing but two draft picks.

KW ought to pursue Ventura for a part-time left handed bat off the bench, who also could spell Frank at 1B and mentor Crede at 3B. He should not be too expensive.

JRIG
11-13-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by xil357
Not bad at all, if Maggs must be traded to get under the self-imposed payroll cap.

Trying to move Koch and Konerko ought to be the first priority though, if at all possible. I'd take Weaver straight up for either or both if the Yanks are willing to do that deal.

If Trader Kenny can't move Koch or GIDPaul, then get what you can for Maggs because there is no way they sign him next offseason. Better to trade him a year too early than wait and get nothing but two draft picks.

KW ought to pursue Ventura for a part-time left handed bat off the bench, who also could spell Frank at 1B and mentor Crede at 3B. He should not be too expensive.

I really don't think dumping Koch or Konerko is a very real option. That's why I left them in the plans. I'd love to, but...it takes two to tango.

xil357
11-13-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
I really don't think dumping Koch or Konerko is a very real option. That's why I left them in the plans. I'd love to, but...it takes two to tango.

I totally understand and agree. I just hope Kenny is trying hard -- very hard -- to move Koch and Konerko before he resorts to moving Maggs.

Dadawg_77
11-13-2003, 08:49 PM
7. Assumes Garland will make about $2 million, either in long term contract or arbitration
8. Assumes between Buehrle and Lee, $10 million will be given to them in arbitration

Lineup vs. RHP
2. Reed CF (300,000)
3. Thomas 1B (6 million)
4. Lee LF (5 million)
5. Stairs RF (1 million)
8. Crede 3B (450,000)
9. Olivo C (400,000)

Lineup vs LHP
Castillo
Graffanino (1 million)
Thomas
Lee
Konerko
Reed
Rowand (400,000)
Crede
Olivo

Rotation: Loaiza (4 million), Buehrle (5 million), Perez (4 million), Garland (2 million), Astacio (2 million)
Bullpen: Koch (6.375), Marte (400,000), Mota (1.2 million), Wunsch (650,000), Levine (900,000), Reed (900,000)

Stairs mashes right handed pitching. As much as I dislike Rowand, I'm OK with him playing RF (not CF) against LHP only, especially if we're operating on this budget..

I hate to trade Mags and lose his offense, but I need to clear his $14 million to stay under budget. I'm hopeful the first 3 guys in the order will have .370+ OBP and Lee will do well driving them in. Stairs and Konerko are the key Stairs has to keep mashing RHP and Konerko needs to produce something.

I like the bullpen. Mota would probably close, I guess, saving Marte as needed earlier in the game. I've always liked Astacio. If he's healthy he could be a steal.

Comments welcome.

Stairs replaces Konerko vs righties.

bestkosher
11-13-2003, 08:54 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

the man with the straightest fastball i seen, talk about someone who needs to see queer eye, then at least something on him would move, (thats right girlfriend and don't forget to zuzsh)

JRIG
11-13-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by bestkosher
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

the man with the straightest fastball i seen, talk about someone who needs to see queer eye, then at least something on him would move, (thats right girlfriend and don't forget to zuzsh)

First of all, no one's fastball is straighter than Billy Koch's.

Secondly, Levine has been an excellent guy out of the pen since he left the Sox and has overcome his lack of strikeouts by getting a ton of ground ball outs.

nasox
11-13-2003, 11:20 PM
i have doubts about stairs but astacio could be a huge steal if he lives up to potential (big if)

StillMissOzzie
11-14-2003, 01:17 AM
First of all, no one's fastball is straighter than Billy Koch's.

I'd throw Alan Embree into this competition...

SMO
:gulp:

joeynach
11-14-2003, 12:58 PM
Too bad for you that the teams project budget is around 57 or 58 million not 65 million. Back to the drawing board.

Hangar18
11-14-2003, 01:07 PM
WOW JRig....interesting Concept.
But that LINEUP against RHP's is Very Uninspiring.
We would have 3rd Place Locked up for years to come with that
Squad ..........

hold2dibber
11-14-2003, 01:25 PM

Lineup vs. RHP
2. Reed CF (300,000)
3. Thomas 1B (6 million)
4. Lee LF (5 million)
5. Stairs RF (1 million)
8. Crede 3B (450,000)
9. Olivo C (400,000)

Lineup vs LHP
Castillo
Graffanino (1 million)
Thomas
Lee
Konerko
Reed
Rowand (400,000)
Crede
Olivo

Comments welcome.

I like it, but I'd make a few minor alterations. Instead of signing Steve Reed or Levine, I'd give those last two bullpen spots to Wright (who is actually pretty good in the pen) and either Rauch or Ginter. That would save about $1.2 million. I'd use that $1.2 million and the $1 million for Stairs and try to sign Raul Ibanez, Reggie Sanders, or Jose Cruz, Jr. Also, I'd rather have Hentgen or Brian Anderson than Astascio, who hasn't been very good in the NL - I'm afraid he'd get lit up in the AL, whereas Hentgen and B. Anderson have both fared pretty well.

I also notice you don't have Shoenweiss anywhere - was that an oversight, or do you think they should non-tender him?

JRIG
11-14-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I like it, but I'd make a few minor alterations. Instead of signing Steve Reed or Levine, I'd give those last two bullpen spots to Wright (who is actually pretty good in the pen) and either Rauch or Ginter. That would save about $1.2 million. I'd use that $1.2 million and the $1 million for Stairs and try to sign Raul Ibanez, Reggie Sanders, or Jose Cruz, Jr. Also, I'd rather have Hentgen or Brian Anderson than Astascio, who hasn't been very good in the NL - I'm afraid he'd get lit up in the AL, whereas Hentgen and B. Anderson have both fared pretty well.

I also notice you don't have Shoenweiss anywhere - was that an oversight, or do you think they should non-tender him?

My hope is that they non-tender Schoenweiss. I gave a lot of thought to Jose Cruz, especially with the 100 walks this year. I'm worried someone might overpay for him though. A lot of Astacio's bad years came in Colorado. Other than that I think he's an above average pitcher, assuming he's healthy.

Ginter should have a spot in the pen. I think I'd rather see rAuch keep starting in case one of the rotation guys is ineffective or hurt. But Ginter deserves a spot.

JRIG
11-14-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
WOW JRig....interesting Concept.
But that LINEUP against RHP's is Very Uninspiring.
We would have 3rd Place Locked up for years to come with that
Squad ..........

Well, I'm hoping Reed is ready. He could be a very good 2 hitter. Stairs kills RHP, as does Valentin. The key is getting production from Konerko and hoping Lee can stand up in the 4 hole. I think it's a lineup that can get on base at the top with some power in the middle and question marks at the end in Crede and Olivo. But, they've got to be there.

Foulke You
11-14-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by joeynach
Too bad for you that the teams project budget is around 57 or 58 million not 65 million. Back to the drawing board.

BINGO! The White Sox are going to be the pinnacle of "fiscal responsibility" and are not going to spend $65 million.

:reinsy
"65 million dollars? Outrageous!! We don't need players because we have plenty of fun fan activities planned for next year."

:gallas
"That's right J.R., we are planning on increasing the size of the Jimmy Buffett cover band on Caribbean Night to include 4 extra singers and 6 extra trumpet players! Not only that, the free Jose Cuervo beach towels will be 25% larger than the 2003 version!"

bc2k
11-14-2003, 02:05 PM
The key is ... hoping Lee can stand up in the 4 hole.

Lee has been very successful while batting in the 3 hole. Lee has also been successful in the 2 hole. Some contribute that success to batting in front of Thomas. Assuming the veteran Thomas is able to hit wherever he's put, why not put Lee - where he's proven to have most success - in front of Thomas in the 3 spot, with Thomas batting cleanup?