PDA

View Full Version : Mags - trade suggestion thread

Stoky44
11-13-2003, 04:14 PM
You know I had this huge thing written about why we can't trade away mags. And I really don't want to lose him. I wish we had different ownership and would spend more money, but we don't. The other fact is that I am a die hard fan, and though I might not agree with some decisions I will always come back (no matter how much I say I won't) and try to look at the positives.

So say we lose mags: we lose a .300+ AVG and 30HRs and 100RBI. And yes most teams will do pretty much anything to get a guy like this on their team. But the fact is if we can't afford him we can't afford him.

To be positive... What is it that makes a team a winner and go far in the post season? PITCHING, particularly starting pitching. So we trade away mags and we have created another hole in our team. To be honest, if we trade mags, I really don't want to get another major league position player. Yes say we get Soriano in return for less money. Great... then we have filled the gap at 2B but gained a gap in rf. SO then you say the money we save in dumping some of mags contract we can put into filling another gap. But this is just a temp solution. B/c Soriano will want big money soon(or at least more $ that we can't pay) and theres the same problem. Also that money we saved with ridding ourselves of mags contract, we will end up putting into a player like Carl. Where did that get us last year? Close to the playoffs. Yet even if this move puts us in the playoffs, we won't go too far b/c its truly pitching that will win the world series. Then there are those who say the money the sox saved in Mags contract will be put into to pitching and not a guy like Carl, my answer to that is we won't get a Colon for that little money we saved. Which puts us back in the same place.

To sum it up: If we trade mags, make damn sure we get many young minor league stud pitchers, so that one or two might become another Buerhle, Prior, or Zito. And then in 2 years we are not hoping to just make the playoffs but go far into the playoffs.

Maybe this makes no sense to anyone. I mean I can't stand the idea of us losing MAgs, but I am trying to make the best of giving up an All star.

nasox
11-13-2003, 04:17 PM
the bottom line is that
JR IS A SWINDLER, DISHONEST, A-HOLE OF A MAN AND SHOULD BE BANISHED FROM THIS TOWN AND KICKED ALL THE WAY BACK TO BROOKLYN WHERE HE CAME FROM!

Tragg
11-13-2003, 04:25 PM
The bottom line is we're defensive.
Instead of addressing our real needs - 2nd base, SS, and CF (certainly can't have enough pitching, but it isn't a weakness on this club) we screw around with creating 2 other holes (lf - lee or rf - Konerko), without filling the ones we had.

And please, KW, forget the "closers" - these guys are way overvalued (one thing I agree with billy beane about - that and obp) and a live arm can become a closer - they also frequently go downhill and fast.

I didn't hear if we picked up Valentine's option or what, but if we really are paying him $5 mill a year, that is positively ridiculous. We could an adequate shortstop for much less and use the difference to help in other positions - because even with spending $5 mill at SS, WE REMAIN BELOW AVERAGE AT THAT POSITION. He's got some streak power, but his OBP is horrific and as for his "clubhouse skills", isn't that really why we hired Guillen?

JDP
11-13-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Stoky44
Yes say we get Soriano in return for less money. Great... then we have filled the gap at 2B but gained a gap in rf. SO then you say the money we save in dumping some of mags contract we can put into filling another gap. But this is just a temp solution. B/c Soriano will want big money soon(or at least more $ that we can't pay) and theres the same problem.

That has got to be the most depressing and pessimistic thing I have heard in quite some time. Why even field a team at all? I mean, in 6 years, the next Sox rookie won't be affordable so we may as well not play, right? If you're advocating always keeping rookies here because "eventually" we cannot afford them, why be a MLB team at all? Why not just cut our losses now and become someone's minor league affiliate...

We can just take the approach that Chevy Chase was given in Vegas Vacation at the black jack table: How about we go into the alley, get kicked in the junk and just say "we'll take 85 wins and no post season -- see ya next year."

john2499
11-13-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by nasox
the bottom line is that
JR IS A SWINDLER, DISHONEST, A-HOLE OF A MAN AND SHOULD BE BANISHED FROM THIS TOWN AND KICKED ALL THE WAY BACK TO BROOKLYN WHERE HE CAME FROM! I get the U-Haul.

SoxxoS
11-13-2003, 07:54 PM
I would take 13 million, Soriano, and Reed for Maggs. That is basically what the trade comes down to. I would take that and run.