PDA

View Full Version : Sox still like Erstad


mike squires
11-13-2003, 02:34 PM
According to ESPN 1000 ( Sorry for the AJ flub) the Sox are still looking into Darrin Erstad and said he is one of Williams personal favorites. I hope they don't dangle Ordonez for him!!! THey said several other teams are interested in Maggs including the Dogers. The Mets are still interested in Koch.

hold2dibber
11-13-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
According to ESPN 1000 ( Sorry for the AJ flub) the Sox are still looking into Darrin Erstad and said he is one of Williams personal favorites. I hope they don't dangle Ordonez for him!!! THey said several other teams are interested in Maggs including the Dogers. The Mets are still interested in Koch.

The good news just keeps on coming for Sox fans!

Yuck.

TaylorStSox
11-13-2003, 02:57 PM
Erstad isn't the one who scares me in that deal. I more concerned about Percival. I'd take Erstad, 2 top tier prospects and 1 middle prospect for Maggs.

There is a reason I'm not a GM though. :cool:

Foulke You
11-13-2003, 03:00 PM
I like Darin Erstad as a player but straight up for Maggs? In 2002 it was Slow Swingleton and Garland for a healthy Erstad. Now we are going to trade the franchise for an injury plagued Erstad? Jeez.

Maybe Erstad would be part of a package including Troy Percival for Maggs? Any scenario that has Maggs leaving makes me sad :whiner: but we better get more than just Darin Erstad for him!

I wonder if KW is looking into the possibility of getting Erstad without trading Maggs?

hold2dibber
11-13-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I like Darin Erstad as a player but straight up for Maggs? In 2002 it was Slow Swingleton and Garland for a healthy Erstad. Now we are going to trade the franchise for an injury plagued Erstad? Jeez.

That trade also was before Erstad signed his monster deal; he is still owed about $25 million over the next 3 years, so trading Maggs for him also makes no sense financially. I don't care how much KW likes Erstad's "grinder" mentality - he can't think he's worth that kind of money, especially with his injury problems. Right?

maurice
11-13-2003, 04:22 PM
The highest OPS posted by Erstad since his Brady-Anderson-esque 2000 season is .702. In 2003, it was .642, and he only played in 67 games.

Huisj
11-13-2003, 04:26 PM
i would piss in my pants if ordonez goes in an erstad deal. heck, i'll piss my pants if ordonez goes anywhere maybe

hold2dibber
11-13-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by maurice
The highest OPS posted by Erstad since his Brady-Anderson-esque 2000 season is .702. In 2003, it was .642, and he only played in 67 games.

Who cares about that stuff ... he's a grinder, and for only $8 mm per year for three more years!

gosox41
11-13-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
According to ESPN 1000 ( Sorry for the AJ flub) the Sox are still looking into Darrin Erstad and said he is one of Williams personal favorites. I hope they don't dangle Ordonez for him!!! THey said several other teams are interested in Maggs including the Dogers. The Mets are still interested in Koch.

Another ALERT by me. I want to keep my rights to whine and complain when KW does something obviosuly stupid. Getting Darrin Erstad and his salary 100% falls into that category...giving up any talent (let alone Mags) would be really bad.


Bob

MRKARNO
11-13-2003, 10:56 PM
What if this was the year that the Sox got the players that they've been coveting forever: Erstad and Ponson?

jeremyb1
11-14-2003, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by mike squires
According to ESPN 1000 ( Sorry for the AJ flub) the Sox are still looking into Darrin Erstad and said he is one of Williams personal favorites. I hope they don't dangle Ordonez for him!!! THey said several other teams are interested in Maggs including the Dogers. The Mets are still interested in Koch.

Acquiring Erstad, especially with the money left on his deal, is one of the few deals this organization could make that would cause me to think we're so hopelessly unintelligent that I'm unhappy at the thought of continuing to follow this team.

dougs78
11-14-2003, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
Acquiring Erstad, especially with the money left on his deal, is one of the few deals this organization could make that would cause me to think we're so hopelessly unintelligent that I'm unhappy at the thought of continuing to follow this team.

Yep, unfortunately I agree. It would signify to me that the management is more concerned with having their "favorite players" than with maximizing success. People hardly even run fantasy baseball teams this way.

jeremyb1
11-14-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by dougs78
Yep, unfortunately I agree. It would signify to me that the management is more concerned with having their "favorite players" than with maximizing success. People hardly even run fantasy baseball teams this way.

Yeah, I still shudder at the quote from Assistant GM Rick Hahn about Erstad in Baseball America, calling him one of the most underrated players in the game because he brings things to the table sabermetrics can't measure. He's just such a poor hitter by all statistical measurements that I can't possibly understand what he could bring to the table that would outweigh his offensive shortcommings. Even the best centerfielder and teammate in the game couldn't come close to making up for his offense in my opinion.

washington
11-14-2003, 03:30 PM
What scares me is that KW seems to fall in love with certain players and tends to give up more to get them than they are worth (Todd Ritchie) or eventually gets them and they suck (Todd Ritchie, D'Angelo Jiminez)

Jess1210
11-14-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Huisj
i would piss in my pants if ordonez goes in an erstad deal. heck, i'll piss my pants if ordonez goes anywhere maybe

I think I might too...Erstad really doesn't excite me at all