PDA

View Full Version : Alomar to depart?

jortafan
11-13-2003, 09:18 AM
Here's a little something to brighten up the day of the Roberto Alomar bashers around here.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/story/136290p-121248c.html

Anybody else hear anything about this?

dickallen15
11-13-2003, 09:23 AM
Evidently the "slam dunk" that Alomar would return if Guillen was named manager was crap, just like what Robbie's game has turned into.

ondafarm
11-13-2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by dickallen15
Evidently the "slam dunk" that Alomar would return if Guillen was named manager was crap, just like what Robbie's game has turned into.

I think Alomar is just covering his bases, exploring his options and not wanting to sign for a bargain basement price. He is worth at least $2 million a year to the Sox.

soxtalker
11-13-2003, 09:30 AM
Most interesting part of this article for me was the comment attributed to KW who supposedly indicated that the Sox weren't likely to sign RA.

Looks to me like a trend is developing -- Colon, Maggs, Alomar -- all want more money than the Sox are willing to pay. I wonder if similar stories are starting to come out of many of the other cities where teams have said that they don't want to increase payroll.

soxtalker
11-13-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by ondafarm
I think Alomar is just covering his bases, exploring his options and not wanting to sign for a bargain basement price. He is worth at least $2 million a year to the Sox.

I think that the Sox are just covering their bases, exploring their other options and not wanting to sign him for a price that is above whatever they think he is worth to them.

In other words, I think we are starting to see a lot of negotiating between management and players (agents) in the media.

duke of dorwood
11-13-2003, 09:45 AM
Just remember the improved play of Valentin when Robbie was there and then realize this would be a bigger loss than some think it will be

hold2dibber
11-13-2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Just remember the improved play of Valentin when Robbie was there and then realize this would be a bigger loss than some think it will be

That of course depends on who replaces him at 2B. If Aaron Miles is the new starting 2B, you're absolutely right. If Fernando Vina or Adam Kennedy is the new starting 2B, I think the Sox would come out about even.

Brian26
11-13-2003, 09:59 AM
Losing Robbie Alomar is going to hurt us a lot more than the Alomar-bashers think. We've talked about it before. Alomar's game goes beyond what his batting average is. The guy's head is in the game, he does the little things, and ultimately he raises the level of play of everyone who plays around him.

The depressing thing is this: I think very quickly we are all going to start appreciating how much talent this 2003 team had and what a total shame it was that we couldn't make the playoffs. This was the perfect situation to win big, and we couldn't get the job done. Everett, Robbie, Colon....you can't replace names and experience like that as easily as you think- especially in the playoffs. It's a total shame we couldn't beat the Twins this year.

duke of dorwood
11-13-2003, 10:13 AM
If Alomar goes, that solves the Willie Harris problem, because that's who will be given the job

soxnut
11-13-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
Losing Robbie Alomar is going to hurt us a lot more than the Alomar-bashers think. We've talked about it before. Alomar's game goes beyond what his batting average is. The guy's head is in the game, he does the little things, and ultimately he raises the level of play of everyone who plays around him.

The depressing thing is this: I think very quickly we are all going to start appreciating how much talent this 2003 team had and what a total shame it was that we couldn't make the playoffs. This was the perfect situation to win big, and we couldn't get the job done. Everett, Robbie, Colon....you can't replace names and experience like that as easily as you think- especially in the playoffs. It's a total shame we couldn't beat the Twins this year.

I didn't need any of this to happen to realize the talent the '03 team had. While watching the last game of the season, I kept saying " I can't believe this team is not in the post-sesason." I was so amazed and disgusted. Really sickening. :whiner:

ondafarm
11-13-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
. . . If Aaron Miles is the new starting 2B, you're absolutely right. . .

I disagree. Aaron Miles is a solid defensive second baseman. Good instincts and range, makes the right moves, excellent arm (for a 2B) and outstanding cut-off man. Good at turning the 6-4-3.

dickallen15
11-13-2003, 10:47 AM
There's a good chance Alomar's play will deteriorate even farther the next couple years. Good riddance.

hold2dibber
11-13-2003, 10:48 AM
I disagree. Aaron Miles is a solid defensive second baseman. Good instincts and range, makes the right moves, excellent arm (for a 2B) and outstanding cut-off man. Good at turning the 6-4-3.

I can't say I've seen him play, but of those who I have heard from who have seen him play, I've never heard that he is anything better than (at best) an average defender.

And I have severe reservations about his ability to be a good major league hitter.

But then again, what the hell do I know? :smile: *

*Property of, and alll rights reserved by, Daver

hold2dibber
11-13-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
If Alomar goes, that solves the Willie Harris problem, because that's who will be given the job

IMHO, that actually would create the Willie Harris Problem. And I think if the Sox decide to fill the 2B opening internally, Miles will get the job (whether he'd be able to keep it is another matter).

Kilroy
11-13-2003, 10:58 AM
I'm certainly no Alomar-basher, but you see me boo-hooing about him not returning. If his departure can help keep the more valuable players in the fold, then I'm all for it. Only thing is, that is not necessarily the case. We may still see Maggs and/or CLee moved.

ondafarm
11-13-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I can't say I've seen him play, but of those who I have heard from who have seen him play, I've never heard that he is anything better than (at best) an average defender.

And I have severe reservations about his ability to be a good major league hitter.

But then again, what the hell do I know? :smile: *

*Property of, and alll rights reserved by, Daver

Ondafarm is the Chicagoan version of "On the farm" as in 'where the farm system plays.' Check my location and you'll notice that I'm in perfect position to see a great deal of the farm system play.

About Miles, I have seen him play A, AA and AAA ball and more than once sat next to regular scouts while they evaluated him. His A experience was in the Astros system. He doesn't have fantastic range, which is not really a problem for most 2B-men. Strong arm and good baseball instincts. Saw him make several relay throws and nail runners. Never threw to the wrong base. Good, smart movement on the infield. Backs up plays, good at blocking the bag (hard to do at second) and hustles. The question on Miles is hitting.

When you've seen him play, you should let me know.

Frank the Tank
11-13-2003, 12:38 PM
I still think RAlomar has a lot of baseball left in him. I don't understand why management prioritized Valentin over him. I think Robbie is a much more important piece to the puzzle next year. They are paying Valentin 5MM, why are the only willing to pay 2 MM for Robbie? I don't think Willie Harris will be the next second baseman. If anything, why not sign Graffanino?

jeremyb1
11-13-2003, 12:39 PM
I think this is great news. We don't have millions to put into a player past his prime just based on the hope that he somehow returns to form. Hopefully the Angels will non-tender Kenedy and we can cash in there. If we stay in house Harris is definitely the best option at this point in my opinion.

cornball
11-13-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Brian26

I agree.

I don't think Harris is a major league player, he is not an option at second base. Your double play combo would hit a collective .230 roughly.

hold2dibber
11-13-2003, 01:09 PM
Ondafarm is the Chicagoan version of "On the farm" as in 'where the farm system plays.' Check my location and you'll notice that I'm in perfect position to see a great deal of the farm system play.

About Miles, I have seen him play A, AA and AAA ball and more than once sat next to regular scouts while they evaluated him. His A experience was in the Astros system. He doesn't have fantastic range, which is not really a problem for most 2B-men. Strong arm and good baseball instincts. Saw him make several relay throws and nail runners. Never threw to the wrong base. Good, smart movement on the infield. Backs up plays, good at blocking the bag (hard to do at second) and hustles. The question on Miles is hitting.

When you've seen him play, you should let me know.

Good to hear. And that's much more detail than the other people I've heard who claim he's a lousy defender - so your evaluation carries a little more weight.

Let me ask you this - if you were in KW's shoes, would you feel comfortable starting the season next year as the starting 2B?