PDA

View Full Version : Sox to make 2 trips to Oaktown in 04

Bisco Stu
11-13-2003, 12:07 AM
June 1st & 2nd and July 15-17 (immediately following the AS break).

June 2nd and July 17 are day games.

A's visit the Cell on Aug 31, Sept 1 & 2, 2nd is day.

The A's will be at the Urinal June 18-20 as well.

Wish they'd release our schedule sometime this century.

CubKilla
11-13-2003, 11:43 AM
I hear the Sox schedule is being held up due to the fact that the Sox have to play Montreal as visitor this season and no one knows yet where exactly Montreal is going to be playing.

anewman35
11-13-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
I hear the Sox schedule is being held up due to the fact that the Sox have to play Montreal as visitor this season and no one knows yet where exactly Montreal is going to be playing.

That theory doesn't work, though - plenty of other teams are playing Montreal, including the entire National League, and yet they've posted their schedules...

Hangar18
11-13-2003, 12:39 PM
Isnt this the 3rd or 4th year in row Weve Played the A's & Mariners TWICE in a season?

anewman35
11-13-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Isnt this the 3rd or 4th year in row Weve Played the A's & Mariners TWICE in a season?

Well, even with the unbalanced schedule, you still play at least 6 games against teams in the other divisions, and you tend to play even more than that against West teams, because they only have 4 teams. So it's not that unusual.

washington
11-13-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18

Seems like it. Shouldn't they get to play Anaheim and Texas twice once in a while? Should be interesting to see if Guillen figures out how to win a West Coast game or 2.

xil357
11-13-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
Well, even with the unbalanced schedule, you still play at least 6 games against teams in the other divisions, and you tend to play even more than that against West teams, because they only have 4 teams. So it's not that unusual.

If Bus Selig and the other owners are crying poor, and if the players hate travelling so much, why don't the just schedule all six Oakland games in one trip?

Saves time. Reduces travel costs. Reduces number of cross-country flights. Makes sense. Thats why it won't happen.

Seriously, can anyone come up with any legitimate reason why not to have all six games at Oakland scheduled for one series?

Put all the West Coast games in one massive road trip already!

anewman35
11-13-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by xil357
If Bus Selig and the other owners are crying poor, and if the players hate travelling so much, why don't the just schedule all six Oakland games in one trip?

Saves time. Reduces travel costs. Reduces number of cross-country flights. Makes sense. Thats why it won't happen.

Seriously, can anyone come up with any legitimate reason why not to have all six games at Oakland scheduled for one series?

Put all the West Coast games in one massive road trip already!

But that's not how baseball has ever been scheduled. If you're going to say they should do that, why not just play 81 straight home games followed by 81 straight road games and play every team just 2 series, even if it's a 9 game series. I'm sure it would save money, but, come on, does anybody really want that?

thepaulbowski
11-13-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Bisco Stu
Wish they'd release our schedule sometime this century.

The home portion is on Whitesox.com.

nasox
11-13-2003, 05:29 PM
they are only one of two teams to not release their entire schedule, them and the pirates.

xil357
11-13-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
But that's not how baseball has ever been scheduled. If you're going to say they should do that, why not just play 81 straight home games followed by 81 straight road games and play every team just 2 series, even if it's a 9 game series. I'm sure it would save money, but, come on, does anybody really want that?

That's taking what is a good idea and turning it into its extreme. Of course I would never advocate that.

But it would be nice to reduce the number of road trips for all the teams, and make them more geographically logical. For example, the Sox should not start a trip in Seattle, then fly to Toronto, then to Kansas City. All their West Coast games should be taken care of in one fell swoop. Spreading this model to the whole league would help the West Coast teams as well.

Also, with interleague play, when a team comes to play the Sox, they ought to play the Cubs for the next series or the preceeding series if their schedule calls for them to play both teams. It only makes sense. Less travelling, fewer plane trips, fewer hotels to check in and out of.

I would have no problem if teams had 18 or 21-game road trips; it would mean long homestands as well. And April and October games ought to be played exclusively in dome and warm-weather cities. It would even out for all MLB teams while reducing travel costs league-wide.

I also like the idea of teams playing their interleague and non-division games earlier, leaving division play weighted more toward the second half of the season. That would make for exciting pennant races.

Baseball ought to wise up and make sure that there is a full schedule of games on Memorial Day and Labor Day Mondays. Also, make the All-Star Break a four-day break by extending it to the Thursday. Then they can start normal three game weekend series on Friday.

If they are serious about fixing the attendance gaps in some Midwest and Northeast markets, they need more games there during the summer when the weather is better. Early season games, when the weather is worse, is better played where weather is more predictable and better.

thepaulbowski
11-14-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by xil357
I would have no problem if teams had 18 or 21-game road trips; it would mean long homestands as well. And April and October games ought to be played exclusively in dome and warm-weather cities. It would even out for all MLB teams while reducing travel costs league-wide.

I think the players would have something to say about this idea. There is no way they should play road trips that long. Granted sometimes these roadtrips are wacky, but I really don't care what the teams travels budget and/or plans are. That doesn't concern me, nor should it. And limiting where teams in certain months takes away the home field advantage of certain teams. If a teams plays 21 games at home in a row, people are less likely to go to that many games in that short of a time span. It's marketing, if you spread the games out more, people are more likely to be able to find a date and/or dates they could attend. It's maximizes your ability to draw crowds.

CubKilla
11-14-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by nasox
they are only one of two teams to not release their entire schedule, them and the pirates.

Interesting considering both teams are being run the same way :D:

Brian26
11-14-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Bisco Stu
June 1st & 2nd and July 15-17 (immediately following the AS break).

June 2nd and July 17 are day games.

Ok, so we're guaranteed to be 0-5. Who else do we play next year?

:D: