PDA

View Full Version : Let's be realistic

BackInBlack
11-12-2003, 09:14 PM
The ONLY way for the ChiSox to take over the great city of CHICAGO is by placing a BRAND NEW COMISKEY PARK in some hot new happening spot on the South Side of Chicago. Is there ANY CHANCE of this happening in the near future for the Sox, or are we stuck with "The Cell" for as long as US Cellular has signed the lease? FWIW, I stopped in a US Cellular outlet just to check out their product -- just because they're a sponsor of the beloved. C'mon, someone help a brother out, will we EVER have a WORLD CLASS BALLPARK that we can call the home of the CHICAGO WHITE SOX?

Frank the Tank
11-12-2003, 09:19 PM
Were stuck. The best bet is if the city tried to gentrify the area. Highly unlikely.

Daver
11-12-2003, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Frank the Tank
Were stuck. The best bet is if the city tried to gentrify the area. Highly unlikely.

The gentrification of the south loop is going to happen,and quickly,I have seen some of the city's plans.

nut_stock
11-12-2003, 09:37 PM
A new stadium won't turn the Sox into the Chicago Favorite. Wouldn't hurt but TIME is what the Sox need. Years of consistent contending teams, years of good PR & Marketing, along with the proposed gentification etc.

RedPinStripes
11-12-2003, 09:43 PM
Wait till Wrigley is ripped down and the Cubs are 2 years into their new park that people dont like and fans are talking about "The good old days in the old park" . Sound familiar?

Wrigley never drew crouds like this until Comiskey park was leveled. All the sudden it was "the cool thing to do" by hanging around an old ball park.

CubKilla
11-12-2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Daver
The gentrification of the south loop is going to happen,and quickly,I have seen some of the city's plans.

It's already happening.

Daver
11-12-2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
It's already happening.

If you have seen the same plans I have it is going to be huge.

Frank the Tank
11-12-2003, 11:32 PM
I would forget about moving to the South Loop. There is too much invested in the Cell and JR is not even close to paying it off. I am very sure the Sox will be playing at the Cell for at least 20 years, I think their contract with U.S. Cellular is even longer. The Wrigley phenom. is pure luck. It is a combination of the destruction of all the old parks and the gentrification of the Wrigleyville area. If the city would relocate all the scum from the surrounding comiskey area, things would be okay.

doublem23
11-12-2003, 11:35 PM

Have you not taken a stroll around the park's immediate area? If you have any money and are interested in real estate, I would invest in that area soon because it's ready to bust at the seems.

Frank the Tank
11-12-2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

Have you not taken a stroll around the park's immediate area? If you have any money and are interested in real estate, I would invest in that area soon because it's ready to bust at the seems.

By "Bust at the Seams", do you mean all-out gang warfare?

doublem23
11-12-2003, 11:44 PM

By bust at the seems I mean a land value explosion. Anyone who's driven down there or walked knows it's coming. That area will be very gentrified very soon.

P.S... Since you believe the area immediately surrounding the Cell is full of gangbangers makes me believe you have not been there in a while (if ever).

Frank the Tank
11-12-2003, 11:46 PM
I hope your right. Do you know if they are tearing down the 3-flat projects just south of the ballpark?

TDog
11-13-2003, 12:42 AM

Somebody's been believing what they hear and read in the Chicago media.

soxnut
11-13-2003, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
By bust at the seems I mean a land value explosion. Anyone who's driven down there or walked knows it's coming. That area will be very gentrified very soon.

P.S... Since you believe the area immediately surrounding the Cell is full of gangbangers makes me believe you have not been there in a while (if ever).

I have been checking out the area myself. You can see the regentrification taking place. If I had the money I would invest.

Anyone who has dogged the neighborhood, hasn't been there in a while, I'd have to say. Or, they don't understand what is going on. : :cool:

Frank the Tank
11-13-2003, 01:38 AM
Have the projects across the street from the cell been demolished? (the 3 story ones, not the RT Homes). The projects are the real problem. Bridgeport itself has been nice for some time now.

soxnut
11-13-2003, 01:56 AM
Have the projects across the street from the cell been demolished? (the 3 story ones, not the RT Homes). The projects are the real problem. Bridgeport itself has been nice for some time now.

Are you talking about Wentworth Gardens at Pershing and Wentworth? Those are still there. I'm not sure what is going on with those. It would seem odd if nothing is done there, considering that everything surrounding it is going through a transformation.

There are new townhomes going up just down the street from WG on 37th and 39th, just on the other side of the tracks. Also, along Pershing, there is a new building going up near the corner of Wenworth and Pershing. And down Pershing, and about a block south, they are tearing down warehouses. I think that land was purchased by a plumbing businessman in the neighborhood in order to build residential.

So, things are looking up. :smile:

maurice
11-13-2003, 01:46 PM
Interesting to learn that the area around the Cell is bad. Somebody should tell the fellow across the street from me (3 blocks from the park) who lives in the brand new mansion with the indoor pool.

john2499
11-13-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Interesting to learn that the area around the Cell is bad. Somebody should tell the fellow across the street from me (3 blocks from the park) who lives in the brand new mansion with the indoor pool.

There is also a house like that across the street from my aunt's house on 44th PL, in Canaryville. The city put in all new sewers and streets 4 years ago. I was looking to buy a new house there at that time, but $350,000 for new construction is out of my price range, way out actually. There are whole blocks of new construction on Emerald at 39th.
My uncle told me that all the lots on Halsted ( in Canaryville ) were sold for new home construction. Where we tailgate in lot G, those are brand new homes. The surrounding area is only going to improve, much like Wrigleyville did.
Now if we can only regain the generation of fans we lost in the early 80's, that did not watch the Sox because alot of games were on Sportsvision, and not free TV.

nasox
11-13-2003, 05:33 PM

What plans? How did you see them and do you have pics/ diagrams/ anything?

xil357
11-13-2003, 09:13 PM

Do the city's plans include a Metra rail stop at 35th and the Ryan that also would serve IIT and the new construction? Do you have any diagrams or drawings that you could upload to the photo gallery? This is exciting. If I ever were to move back to Chicago I would want to live within a few blocks of the Cell. Details please!
:)

poorme
11-13-2003, 09:18 PM
Why didn't JR develop the surrounding area himself?

Daver
11-13-2003, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by poorme

There was the small obstacle of the fact that Stateway Gardens were occupying the property.

Daver
11-13-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by xil357
Do the city's plans include a Metra rail stop at 35th and the Ryan that also would serve IIT and the new construction? Do you have any diagrams or drawings that you could upload to the photo gallery? This is exciting. If I ever were to move back to Chicago I would want to live within a few blocks of the Cell. Details please!
:)

I have seen architectural and civil engineer drawings,I saw nothing on a Metra stop.

If you want to live east of the Ryan near Comiskey in the next ten years bring lots of money.

GoSox2K3
11-14-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by BackInBlack
The ONLY way for the ChiSox to take over the great city of CHICAGO is by placing a BRAND NEW COMISKEY PARK in some hot new happening spot on the South Side of Chicago. Is there ANY CHANCE of this happening in the near future for the Sox, or are we stuck with "The Cell" for as long as US Cellular has signed the lease? FWIW, I stopped in a US Cellular outlet just to check out their product -- just because they're a sponsor of the beloved. C'mon, someone help a brother out, will we EVER have a WORLD CLASS BALLPARK that we can call the home of the CHICAGO WHITE SOX?

Do you really think the Sox would move from 35th & Shields right after spending tens of millions of dollars to renovate the Cell? US Cellular will be the Sox home for at least another 20 years. Sox fans are better off hoping for Bridgeport gentrification than clinging to a south loop pipe dream.

Anyway, if the Sox had managed to move to the South Loop, I think the Cub-dominated Chicago area would still find some reason to complain and find a reason to not support the Sox. The park is too close to downtown, it's not in one of the neighborhoods, I like the old location better, etc.

CubKilla
11-14-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by poorme

He's waiting for the price of the land that we know he owns (i.e., parking lots) to become premium. I am of the opinion that, in 20 or so years, USCF will be like Wrigley Field in so much as that it will be a pain to go to a game and find a place to park because JR will eventually sell the land where the lots currently are to prospective restaurant, bar, and home owners.

Brian26
11-14-2003, 12:47 PM
I have seen architectural and civil engineer drawings,I saw nothing on a Metra stop.

Where did you see the civil plans? Who is the engineer? Are we talking about strictly private development, or are there City of Chicago municipal improvements too?

rdivaldi
11-14-2003, 12:48 PM
The South Loop is already full, there's nowhere to build a new ballpark anywhere north of Cermak. Being a resident of the area, I am consistently amazed by the constant development of the area.

I fully agree with the assertations that the area around the Cell is going thru a renaissance of sorts. You can go to the CHA's website and see the plans for what they're going to do with the land where Robert Taylor and Stateway Gardens used to be.

Plans for transformation... (http://www.thecha.org/transformplan/reports.html)

Pretty exciting stuff.

Brian26
11-14-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
I am of the opinion that, in 20 or so years, USCF will be like Wrigley Field in so much as that it will be a pain to go to a game and find a place to park because JR will eventually sell the land where the lots currently are to prospective restaurant, bar, and home owners.

Well, Dianne Burns told everyone on the 10 pm news that the neighborhood "needs a cafe". Like her fat ass needs to be eating anymore muffins or cappucinos. Talk about someone who an inflated level of self-worth.

nlentz88
11-14-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by john2499

Now if we can only regain the generation of fans we lost in the early 80's, that did not watch the Sox because alot of games were on Sportsvision, and not free TV. [/B]

I am a member of that lost generation that did not have the privilege of watching the Sox on Sportsvision. In my opinion, the TV situation with the WGN Superstation and Sportsvision is the direct reason why Chicago is now a Flubbie town. My generation seems to have very few Sox fans. Some of the most diehard Scrub fans of my generation tell me that they became fans of the Big Blue Empire simply because the Flubs were always on TV during the summer when they weren't in school. It's that simple. Why don't you think the Blackhawks have a strong following in this northerly city of ours? Might it have something to do with the fact that Mr. Wirtz won't broadcast home games?

If the Sox organization wants to recapture the hearts of Chicagoans from the clutches of the evil TribCo, they must start fighting the TV rights battle. Oh sure, the gentrification of the area around the park and a few back to back seasons of winning would do wonders, but I think that the TV screen is the most important battleground. The Sox MUST put as many games as possible on free tv. I suggest WCIU since WPWR is owned by the Tribune Company (I think). I don't like watching Sox games on WGN anyway; that opening animation of the stitched WGN Sports logo makes me want to puke.

poorme
11-14-2003, 03:06 PM
Well, the TV thing really hurt us, but that's water under the bridge. Not sure what can be done now.

maurice
11-14-2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Well, Dianne Burns told everyone on the 10 pm news that the neighborhood "needs a cafe". Like her fat ass needs to be eating anymore muffins or cappucinos.

LMAO.

But seriously, commerce in the South Loop is trying desperately to catch up with the residential development. Grocery stores, restaurants, daycare centers, etc. are popping up left and right, and they shouldn't have any trouble making money.

As for Bridgeport, it had two yupperiffic coffee shops about five years ago. They both went out of business in favor of old neighborhood diners. Could Bridgeport/Bronzeville be experiencing non-yuppie gentrification?

jordan23ventura
11-15-2003, 04:03 PM
I know this is stupid and completely unrelated, but I would pay big money to see Frank Thomas drive through the South Side in a low-rider bumpin' to Snoop. I mean, BIG HURT does fit on a license plate.

Daver
11-15-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by jordan23ventura
I know this is stupid and completely unrelated, but I would pay big money to see Frank Thomas drive through the South Side in a low-rider bumpin' to Snoop. I mean, BIG HURT does fit on a license plate.

Frank's liscense plate was IIXMVP at one time.