PDA

View Full Version : What are the Sox payroll limitations?

fuzzy_patters
11-12-2003, 04:58 PM
I know that KW has claimed that the Sox will be around $58 million this year, but his actions belie his statements. First, he offers Colon a $12 million per year contract. Then, he opted to bring back Valentin at $5 mill. Now, we hear that the Sox are inquiring about A.J. Pierzynski. These do not sound like the actions of a general manager trying to maintain the previous years budget, so what is going on?

It could be that KW does not want to tip his hand to the players' agents and the other general managers. This was the approach taken by former Bulls G.M. Jerry Krause when he was given the moniker "The Sleuth" to describe his unpredictable managerial habits. KW's actions suggest that the Sox might actually prefer to raise their payroll for the 2004 season, but they might be trying to low-ball Colon, Maggs, and any general mangers willing to trade with them.

Lip Man 1
11-12-2003, 05:38 PM
Remember before you use the Colon example too much, it appears that at least a portion of his deal was in deferred money or incentive clauses.

How much? who knows and the Sox aren't telling. (Perhaps because the truth might embarass them...) I would think if the Sox made that legit and genuine of an offer to Bartolo they'd be shouting it from the rooftops to off set the talk at least from the fans, that the organization is cheap.

In this case silence may be very revealing don't you think?

Lip

Champs2004
11-12-2003, 05:47 PM
KW's actions suggest that the Sox might actually prefer to raise their payroll for the 2004 season, but they might be trying to low-ball Colon, Maggs, and any general mangers willing to trade with them.

Good point. that may just be exactly what he's doing. KW is the silent type of GM that hits you with something you wouldn't expect. Any Sox fan in here within the last 2 years cannot say that KW could pull off those trades before he did them. Personally, i think with KW's nature we will be in contention next year. Who knows? Uncle Jerry could finally have some sense as to what money he can make when investing his money into the team.

mac9001
11-12-2003, 05:55 PM
They probably planed on trading Koch and Magz (maybe even PK if they can find a taker), while saving 20 mil. That's how they'll fit the payroll limitation.

SoxxoS
11-12-2003, 06:02 PM
I hate this payroll crap.

poorme
11-12-2003, 07:24 PM
I thought the same thing. I bet the payroll is something like $65 million.

duke of dorwood
11-12-2003, 07:52 PM
:reinsy

Our payroll limitation