PDA

View Full Version : Did I hear right? A.J Persinski?

mike squires
11-12-2003, 03:20 PM
I thought I heard an ESPN 1000 update that the Sox were inquiring about A.J. Are you serious? I think we have more important holes to fill. I know it's only the general manager meetings but still. Here are last years stats.

OBP .360

BA .312

Hr 11

RBI 74

SoxFanDan
11-12-2003, 03:25 PM
get him in here, better than olivo, and is a positive charachter to a team. Plus it breaks up the nucleus of the twins.

Randar68
11-12-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by SoxFanDan
get him in here, better than olivo, and is a positive charachter to a team. Plus it breaks up the nucleus of the twins.

He drives opponents nuts and calls a game very well. I think he and Olivo would make a nice pair. AJ could DH a little as well as called for...

I'm all for adding defense and OBP, and AJ/Olivo is an upgrade over Olivo/Sandy/Burke.

Although, I do agree, this team has bigger holes to fill. Save some of that money and sign Luis Castillo, KW!

poorme
11-12-2003, 03:30 PM
You'd have to give up a lot to get him. I think Olivo can be OK.

Foulke You
11-12-2003, 03:35 PM
It would be damn hard for me to cheer for AJ. I've grown to loathe him so much as a player. But he is one of those guys you hate when they aren't on your team. His stick would definitely be an upgrade over Olivo and his on field antics and comments would make for a very entertaining crosstown series. :D:

Foulke You
11-12-2003, 03:36 PM
Also, I would take this trade rumor with a grain of salt. I would highly doubt that the Twins would trade someone of AJ's calibur to their #1 competition in the AL Central. I would think more than likely if they are going to trade AJ, it will be to the NL or a team outside the AL Central.

jabrch
11-12-2003, 03:40 PM
NO WAY...smells like BS to me.

A) C is towards the bottom of our current priority list
B) The Twins would NEVER send a guy like that to us, unless they were really screwing us hard
C) There are a lot of teams with more money to spend (one located a few miles north of us) that are in desperate need of a C.

I just don't buy it. Not for one second. I can't see it happening.

Steve Bartman
11-12-2003, 04:04 PM
A.J. is up for arbitration. How could we possibly afford him since we are a "small market" team with pay-roll constraints.

doublem23
11-12-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by jabrch

A) C is towards the bottom of our current priority list
B) The Twins would NEVER send a guy like that to us, unless they were really screwing us hard
C) There are a lot of teams with more money to spend (one located a few miles north of us) that are in desperate need of a C.

I just don't buy it. Not for one second. I can't see it happening.

Note, this is not an attack on you personally, however, if you don't think we need help behind the plate you either do not understand baseball or need to take a real hard look at the entire organization. After Miggy, the cupboard is bare.

voodoochile
11-12-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Note, this is not an attack on you personally, however, if you don't think we need help behind the plate you either do not understand baseball or need to take a real hard look at the entire organization. After Miggy, the cupboard is bare.

Personally, I think Olivo deserves the starting job next year and they would be better served finding a backup catcher to start the 30 games necessary next year.

I agree that it there are other areas that are of greater concern.

hold2dibber
11-12-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

Well, the Sox clearly are thin at C throughout the organization, but the point is, Miggy is expected to become a cornerstone at the C position for years to come. His defense is already among the best in the league, and I for one think he can become a decent hitter (i.e., not too far off of AJ's numbers). In light of the Sox budgetary constraints, the fact that AJ will not be cheap, the fact that Olivo is cheap, and the fact that the Sox have much larger holes to fill (e.g., CF, 2B, SP, closer), spending money to have 2 starting-quality catchers is a luxury this team can't afford.

KingXerxes
11-12-2003, 04:26 PM
I find it hard to believe that Minnesota would trade Pierzynski to somebody in their own division - that usually doesn't happen.

I have no problem believing that the White Sox are inquiring as to his availability, but that is far different from actually making a deal.

jeremyb1
11-12-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Steve Bartman
A.J. is up for arbitration. How could we possibly afford him since we are a "small market" team with pay-roll constraints.

KW must really feel he has some secure plan in tact to be discussing adding payroll when we have several large immovable contracts and are already supposedly about 8 million over budget.

Gammons Peter
11-12-2003, 04:40 PM
There has been talk of him signing with the cubs

mandmandm
11-12-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Gammons Peter

That was what was just reported on ESPN. Thread starter did not hear right.

Lip Man 1
11-12-2003, 04:59 PM
Actually last night Gammons said on SportsCenter that A.J. would be moved to San Diego by the end of the week in a cost cutting move.

Lip

hold2dibber
11-12-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Gammons Peter

He's not a free agent - he can't sign with the Cubs unless the Twins non-tender him (which they will not do, since he is a very tradeable commodity). Possible they could trade him to the Cubs, though.

soxwon
11-12-2003, 06:50 PM
i heard the cubs have the inside on aj along with hawkins, who i think the sox want to

WillieHarris12
11-12-2003, 07:10 PM
Pierzynski would be a great aquisition. We can just aquire the Twins and then win the division. ;)

duke of dorwood
11-12-2003, 07:51 PM
THey'd trade him here as a last resort, and many others will get a shot before it came to that.

Frank the Tank
11-12-2003, 08:15 PM
Speaking of the twins. Does anybody think the sox would have a chance to trade for Mientkiewicz?

RedPinStripes
11-12-2003, 08:45 PM
Get AJ here and i wont hate the **** head anymore.

bobj4400
11-13-2003, 12:19 PM
The only team in Chicago that may have Pierzynski on their roster next season is the Cubs.

Just another reason to hate the bastard.

Hokiesox
11-13-2003, 01:14 PM
Do we really want the guy we've made fun of for the last few years?

Peerzoojunooski in a sox uniform? That makes me a little uneasy.

thepaulbowski
11-13-2003, 01:53 PM
The Twins are not going to make any deals with the Sox, period.

Hangar18
11-13-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by jabrch

B) The Twins would NEVER send a guy like that to us.....

I know its Divisional Suicide for teams to trade WITHIN their own divisions, But It Didnt Stop the Pirates from filling THREE Major
Holes for the cubs did it? :angry: I wonder what bud thinks?

Iwritecode
11-13-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I know its Divisional Suicide for teams to trade WITHIN their own divisions, But It Didnt Stop the Pirates from filling THREE Major
Holes for the cubs did it? :angry: I wonder what bud thinks?

In all fairness, that's comparable to the Tigers trading with the Sox. There was no way the Pirates were going to compete with the Cubs last year.

On the other hand, I agree it was pretty dis-heartening to see them trade anything to an inter-divisional rival...

thepaulbowski
11-13-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
In all fairness, that's comparable to the Tigers trading with the Sox. There was no way the Pirates were going to compete with the Cubs last year.

On the other hand, I agree it was pretty dis-heartening to see them trade anything to an inter-divisional rival...

I don't think the Yankees & Red Sox and talking about deals right now. The only way they would do this is if George would take on Manny's contract and we realized he won't after Manny went untouched on the waiver wire.

Lip Man 1
11-13-2003, 10:05 PM
hanger:

You're forgetting one very important point.

These were waiver deals! ANY club below the Cubs in the standings could have claimed them. (Including Houston) they didn't because they either didn't need those players or didn't WANT TO PICK UP SALARY.

I don't like saying this but you have to give the Cubs credit, they put their money where their mouths are. They took on the salary and the other club didn't pay for it.

Lip

Lip Man 1
11-14-2003, 12:46 PM
Ken Rosenthal of The Sporting News radio has just reported that A.J. has been traded to the Giants for a package of minor league prospects including the guy with the funny name...Bonzi or Bozo something like that.

Looks like rookie and former #1 pick in the draft Joe Mauer is the new Twins starting catcher.

Lip