PDA

View Full Version : An Idea for a trade

Dadawg_77
11-12-2003, 03:33 PM
The Yankees want a pitcher and a RF. They are willing to send out Weaver, Johnson, and Soriano.

The Sox "need" to cut payroll. Could a Mags and E Lo/Burhle for Johnson, Weaver, Soriano and cash deal work?

Risk
11-12-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
The Yankees want a pitcher and a RF. They are willing to send out Weaver, Johnson, and Soriano.

The Sox "need" to cut payroll. Could a Mags and E Lo/Burhle for Johnson, Weaver, Soriano and cash deal work?

I see no reason why we should help the Yankees reload for next year. Let Georgie-Boy go some place else for that.

No on Weaver, also.

Risk

KingXerxes
11-12-2003, 03:42 PM
Jeff Weaver stinks, and always has. I suspect the only reason he was ever deemed to be any good at all was when the Tigers started playing in Grand Canyon and all of his would-be home runs were now getting caught on the warning track (475 feet from home plate).

Iwritecode
11-12-2003, 03:47 PM

IMO, that would actually weaken our starting rotation rather than strengthen it...

Clarkdog
11-12-2003, 04:08 PM
What about Maggs & Wright for Weaver & Soriano and cash (to buy down some of Weaver's deal)?

Weaver sucked in NY no doubt, maybe a change in scenery would do him good.

I always have liked the guy competitiveness. I have never liked his inconsistency.

Randar68
11-12-2003, 04:32 PM

I like Weaver's talent, but IMO he's an injury waiting to happen. That said, Johnson and Soriano are a combination that changes the complexion of this team mightily. I would definitely give up Maggs and a lower-level player for those 2. I don't know about E-Lo and Buehrle, although I'd be tempted to parlay that long-shot move by signing E-Lo into 2 current/future All-Stars...

Maggs+E-Lo for those 3???? I think that would be awfully hard to turn down considering the cost savings and the low likelihood of Maggs returning and the questions concerning E-Lo repeating and if he does his salary demands for 2005.

Quite the decision. I would also only make the above trade if you could somehow dump Konerko's salary, allowing you a ton more flexibility in filling the CF/SP/Bullpen holes.

FanOf14
11-12-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
IMO, that would actually weaken our starting rotation rather than strengthen it...

I was thinking the same thing...

jabrch
11-12-2003, 04:49 PM
If I had the choice between losing Loaiza and Buehrle, I guess I'd give em Buehrle. He seems dead set on being a Cardinal ASAP.

Tragg
11-12-2003, 05:03 PM

WHAT!!

Maggs is much better than Johnson
E Lo or Burhle are TOP pitchers - Weaver is average AT BEST

Soriano can't play the field

What kind of deal is that? The Sox get absolutely raped

Tragg
11-12-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Clarkdog

Weaver sucked in NY no doubt, maybe a change in scenery would do him good.

And he was average in Detroit.

Why do we want him on this baseball team - especially in return for a Grade A pitcher.

Seriously, will this team be better without 2 of its 4 best players, as many of you suggest we dump?

hold2dibber
11-12-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
If I had the choice between losing Loaiza and Buehrle, I guess I'd give em Buehrle. He seems dead set on being a Cardinal ASAP.

Well, first of all, ASAP for him means no sooner than 2007, whereas Loaiza is only signed for '04. Plus, Buehrle is younger and has a better track record, despite Loaiza's awesome performance last year. And I think people greatly overstate the extent of Buehrle's desire to play for the Cardinals. Like everyone else, he'd love to play for his hometown team. But like everybody else, reality gets in the way. Dan Plesac grew up a die hard Sox and always wanted to play on the South Side - but it hasn't happened. If the Sox make Buehrle a long term deal he deems appropriate, he'll take it, just like they all do.

As to the proposed trade, I don't know. If the Sox sent Maggs and Esteban, they'd be cutting the '04 payroll by about $8 million, but they'd also be saddled with Weaver in '05 when he'll make (IIRC) about $9 mm. Plus, the Sox are awfully thin in their rotation already, without sending Esteban away. I'd definitely do it if they'd take Konerko as well (to replace Johnson), because that would give the Sox the $ to sign a FA pitcher to take Esteban's place. Otherwise, I think I'd probably have to (reluctantly) pass.

StockdaleForVeep
11-12-2003, 05:11 PM
What the hell is the big deal on Nick Johnson? He hasnt proven to do a thing yet. He spent a large chunk of the season on the DL and unless u play all star baseball 2003-2004, hes not studly. Hes not a player like prior(to use a sad cub reference) who has been touted since the second he was drafted. Im tired of Hearin all about nick Johnson, i dont want him and his high sock wearin 1st base skills

Randar68
11-12-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
WHAT!!

Maggs is much better than Johnson
E Lo or Burhle are TOP pitchers - Weaver is average AT BEST

Soriano can't play the field

What kind of deal is that? The Sox get absolutely raped

Saying hypothetically it's E-Lo...

That's 18 million in Salary heading to the Yankees. Coming back is what, 6-8 million???

Maggs, for all his powers of being, is not anywhere near what Johnson provides in terms of OBP. Maggs is slightly better in average and power(draw, IMO) but Johnson is 5 years younger and will make less than a million bucks next year.

Soriano, for all his "defensive problems" people rant about here, has good range, but did commit 19 errors. That is a lot at second base, but IMO, he's already one of, if not the, best offensive second basemen in MLB history.

Around 40 HR's, around 40 SB's, 200 hits, and .850-.900 OPS. He's not a lead-off hitter, that's obvious, but I'm sorry, people were defending Jose for 26 or whatever errors, and he had no chance of ever getting into the same stratosphere as Soriano. He puts up rediculous numbers playing in a notoriously tough hitters park for right-handers...

Be objective, folks. If you can get 2 - 25 year-old, currently inexpensive stars for a player you're about to lose and pitcher who's status is uncertain past next year, you'd be an absolute moron not to do that deal.

And that's basically why this is completely hypothetical. Now way does NY do anything like this and give up proven young talent.

Randar68
11-12-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by StockdaleForVeep
What the hell is the big deal on Nick Johnson? He hasnt proven to do a thing yet. He spent a large chunk of the season on the DL and unless u play all star baseball 2003-2004, hes not studly. Hes not a player like prior(to use a sad cub reference) who has been touted since the second he was drafted. Im tired of Hearin all about nick Johnson, i dont want him and his high sock wearin 1st base skills

What was one of the Sox' biggest problems the past 3-4 years?

IMO, it's working counts and getting on base and not having a balance line-up. His OBP would have been first on this team by a WIDE margin this year and he's left-handed.

He was highly-thought-of in his minor league career, so there goes that notion.

Please, take a look at his production thus far and educate yourself a little before having a bout of diarrhea of the keyboard.

Randar68
11-12-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
And he was average in Detroit.

Why do we want him on this baseball team - especially in return for a Grade A pitcher.

Seriously, will this team be better without 2 of its 4 best players, as many of you suggest we dump?

His ERA decreased every season of his career until this year, when he was wildly misused and had no given role. 3 years prior to this year he had a 3:1 K:BB ratio and had ERA's of 4.32, 4.08, and 3.52.

Last year was obviously a disaster for him, but he only has 2 years left on his contract and the value in return for Maggs would be unmatched by a wide margin...

"Dump?"

Well, I like to call it reality, given that you'll get nothing in return after next season if you don't "Dump" them this offseason for 2 All-Stars in this scenario...

I thought Cubs fans wore tinted glasses.

santo=dorf
11-12-2003, 07:52 PM
I read the Angels are interested in Maggs. I say Maggs for K-Rod.
Let me dream in peace.

GregoryEtc
11-13-2003, 01:57 PM
Living in Michigan, I got to see Weaver pitch a lot. The guy was decent but what a headcase! He's the kind of guy who comes back to the dugout and throws his glove if he gave up a run.....LIKE EVERY TIME. Got really old in Detroit. Who wants that kind of guy on their team?

If you ask me (although nobody really did), the Sox should try to be steering way around players with volitile personlities. I mean, think about the players like that we've brought in and how well they worked out. It seems like the Sox are always way too willing to jump at the mental cases. (Belle, Phillips, Wells, Cordero, to name a few.) Some people said the same thing about Carl Everett but I didn't see any of that with him.

For a team that has been so inconsistant for the last....century....team chemistry is very important. The tiniest thing can ruin a season....I vote nay on Weaver.

cornball
11-13-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by GregoryEtc
Living in Michigan, I got to see Weaver pitch a lot. The guy was decent but what a headcase! He's the kind of guy who comes back to the dugout and throws his glove if he gave up a run.....LIKE EVERY TIME. Got really old in Detroit. Who wants that kind of guy on their team?

If you ask me (although nobody really did), the Sox should try to be steering way around players with volitile personlities. I mean, think about the players like that we've brought in and how well they worked out. It seems like the Sox are always way too willing to jump at the mental cases. (Belle, Phillips, Wells, Cordero, to name a few.) Some people said the same thing about Carl Everett but I didn't see any of that with him.

For a team that has been so inconsistant for the last....century....team chemistry is very important. The tiniest thing can ruin a season....I vote nay on Weaver.

Anyone can have a bad century!!