PDA

View Full Version : Odalis Perez for CLee or PK

fledgedrallycap
11-12-2003, 09:50 AM
Found this little tidbit in the LA Times, mentions St. Louis and the Sox are pursuing Perez with the Sox being slightly more appealing due to Jim Edmonds' age, injury problems, and left bat.

Los Angeles Times: "Odalis Perez is among the top pitchers on the St. Louis Cardinals' wish list, and they would be willing to trade All-Star center fielder Jim Edmonds to the Dodgers for the left-hander, baseball officials said Tuesday. The Chicago White Sox are also pursuing Perez at the general managers' meetings here, offering either left fielder Carlos Lee or first baseman Paul Konerko, a two-time Dodger minor league player of the year."

"The White Sox, Evans' employer for 19 years, and Dodgers might be a better match.

Lee, 27, is coming off a career year, batting .291 with 31 homers and 113 runs batted in as the club's everyday left fielder. He had a salary of $4.2 million, is arbitration eligible and can become a free agent after the 2004 season.

First baseman Konerko, whom interim general manager Tom Lasorda traded in 1998, batted .234 with 18 homers and 65 RBIs. Konerko, also 27, hit .304 with 27 homers and a career-high 104 RBIs in 2002. He is guaranteed $8 million in 2004 and $8.75 million in 2005."

Wanne
11-12-2003, 10:57 AM
Odalis Perez for Paul Konerko....OK....where do I sign!!!! In a friggen heartbeat!!!

Randar68
11-12-2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Wanne
Odalis Perez for Paul Konerko....OK....where do I sign!!!! In a friggen heartbeat!!!

Amen, Hell, if we have to trade Lee to dump Kone-head's salary, and we could get a decent pitcher out of it, I'd be tempted. It's only a couple more years before Lee is too expensive for us anyways...LOL!

CubKilla
11-12-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
Amen, Hell, if we have to trade Lee to dump Kone-head's salary, and we could get a decent pitcher out of it, I'd be tempted. It's only a couple more years before Lee is too expensive for us anyways...LOL!

With the current state of the team, especially with the Maggs being dealt rumors because JR is cheap, no way do I do a Lee-Konerko/Perez trade. Konerko for Perez straight up? Yeah.

Randar68
11-12-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
With the current state of the team, especially with the Maggs being dealt rumors because JR is cheap, no way do I do a Lee-Konerko/Perez trade. Konerko for Perez straight up? Yeah.

Sorry, I should have specified that comment was made toungue-in-cheek. I too would only do PK-Perez straight-up.

crector
11-12-2003, 12:19 PM
Why is KW even thinking of trading Lee? His salary, reletive to what he contributes to the team, is not too great. Konerko, on the other hand, is a complete waste of money.

Bottom line: Trade Konerko, keep Lee.

moochpuppy
11-12-2003, 12:23 PM
Keep Lee, trade Konerko.

Also, if we do dump Maggs for Percival and Erstad, I think the Sox will bring back Everett.

Wanne
11-12-2003, 12:28 PM
I think trading Lee is merely speculation from outside media...given his salary and value (which is exactly why you DON'T trade him). Unless somebody offers something ridiculous (which ain't happenin')....Lee's not going anywhere.

Rocky Soprano
11-12-2003, 12:32 PM
I agree, we keep Lee and trade Konerko.

I would like getting Perez for Konerko, I hope it happens.

An added bonus is that my last name is Perez as well, so would be nice to get that jersey.

CubKilla
11-12-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
Also, if we do dump Maggs for Percival and Erstad, I think the Sox will bring back Everett.

Unless Everett is willing to take a substantial paycut, I don't see that happening.

voodoochile
11-12-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Unless Everett is willing to take a substantial paycut, I don't see that happening.

Everett is going to HAVE to take a substantial paycut, IMO. No one is going to offer him $9M a year again.

hold2dibber
11-12-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy

There is no way in all hell the Sox are going to move Maggs for those 2. The reason they'd trade Maggs is to free up salary. Maggs has $14 mm left on his contract. Percival and Erstad combined will make $15 mm in '04, plus Erstad is owed $8 mm for '05 and $8.5 mm for '06. Plus, Erstad is vastly overrated. KW better not be that dumb - he could sign Cameron, who is just as good defensively, much better offensively, and not as injury prone, for (far) less than Erstad will cost.

Chisoxfn
11-12-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Everett is going to HAVE to take a substantial paycut, IMO. No one is going to offer him $9M a year again.

5 Mill would be a very fair dollar figure for Everett. I don't see Lee getting more then 6 mill if he signed or went to arb and I think that would be a fair amount. IMO, Lee is worht more then Everett so I'd slate Everett a little cheaper then Lee, especially when you consider how he's a bit older.

The teams going after him are mainly bottom feeders from what I've read, so IMO, if the Sox were to have an opening for him, he'd come back at a very fair price.

gosox41
11-12-2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
Found this little tidbit in the LA Times, mentions St. Louis and the Sox are pursuing Perez with the Sox being slightly more appealing due to Jim Edmonds' age, injury problems, and left bat.

Los Angeles Times: "Odalis Perez is among the top pitchers on the St. Louis Cardinals' wish list, and they would be willing to trade All-Star center fielder Jim Edmonds to the Dodgers for the left-hander, baseball officials said Tuesday. The Chicago White Sox are also pursuing Perez at the general managers' meetings here, offering either left fielder Carlos Lee or first baseman Paul Konerko, a two-time Dodger minor league player of the year."

"The White Sox, Evans' employer for 19 years, and Dodgers might be a better match.

Lee, 27, is coming off a career year, batting .291 with 31 homers and 113 runs batted in as the club's everyday left fielder. He had a salary of $4.2 million, is arbitration eligible and can become a free agent after the 2004 season.

First baseman Konerko, whom interim general manager Tom Lasorda traded in 1998, batted .234 with 18 homers and 65 RBIs. Konerko, also 27, hit .304 with 27 homers and a career-high 104 RBIs in 2002. He is guaranteed $8 million in 2004 and $8.75 million in 2005."

I'll say this now so I can complain about it all season if it does happen:

Lee for Perez is STUPID STUPID STUPID.

I hope that's clear to those who think I dislike trades after the player fails here and not before they're even made.

Now PK for Perez would be good.

Bob