PDA

View Full Version : King George POed by ROY selection....

StepsInSC
11-11-2003, 11:20 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1659479

SHOCKING! Although I do agree with him for a change.

Jerko
11-12-2003, 11:02 AM
I can't remember; was he bitching when Ichiro won it?

CubKilla
11-12-2003, 11:14 AM
Too bad Matsui isn't a rookie in the classic sense, huh George?

doublem23
11-12-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Too bad Matsui isn't a rookie in the classic sense, huh George?

Why isn't he? He's never played in the Major Leagues before... How is a player working in AAA different than one playing in Japan? Aren't the MLB supposed to be the cream of the crop, so wouldn't any level "below" that be less challenging than this? As was said before, Jackie Robinson played in the Negro Leagues for years (with a handful of current Hall of Famers) and was ROY when he came up with Brooklyn.

CubKilla
11-12-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Why isn't he? He's never played in the Major Leagues before... How is a player working in AAA different than one playing in Japan? Aren't the MLB supposed to be the cream of the crop, so wouldn't any level "below" that be less challenging than this? As was said before, Jackie Robinson played in the Negro Leagues for years (with a handful of current Hall of Famers) and was ROY when he came up with Brooklyn.

Matsui played professional baseball in Japan. This factoid, IMHO, doesn't make for the title "rookie" for Matsui.

Huisj
11-12-2003, 12:40 PM
Aside from all the controversy of whether or not he should have been considered, Matsui still shouldn't just be handed the award. Berroa's stats were very similar to Matsui's except for RBIs (gee wonder why) and doubles. However, Berroa plays a more important defensive position, and he played pretty good there. and a short stop who can hit .290 with almost 20 homers is more of a rarity than a left fielder who does the same. Not to mention Matsui made 8 errors, not too good for a left fielder. I think regardless of anything else, Berroa still deserved the award. so king george, wax my nosehair you big blowbag.

Hangar18
11-12-2003, 12:43 PM
IM about tired of King George

StepsInSC
11-12-2003, 01:47 PM
Matsui played professional baseball in Japan. This factoid, IMHO, doesn't make for the title "rookie" for Matsui.

That still doesn't really back up that argument...pro Japanese baseball and the MLB are not the same.

john2499
11-12-2003, 04:11 PM
Matsui played professional baseball in Japan. This factoid, IMHO, doesn't make for the title "rookie" for Matsui. Agreed !! He was a paid professional. He isn't a rookie. I know what precedent dictates, but maybe this will finally change that.

doublem23
11-12-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by john2499
Agreed !! He was a paid professional. He isn't a rookie. I know what precedent dictates, but maybe this will finally change that.

AAA baseball is professional, too. What's the point?

john2499
11-12-2003, 04:54 PM
AAA baseball is professional, too. What's the point? Yeah and so is the Silver Bullet League.

Matsui was offered a 4 YR $32 MIL. contract by his former team in Japan. How many 29 YO AAA players are offered that kind of $ ?
You are right, by definition, AAA players are professional, but they are in AAA because they are not professional enough. Matsui isn't a rookie and he shouldn't have won ROY. IMHO

Thunderstruck30
11-12-2003, 08:19 PM
:whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

Steinbrenners such a crybaby.

doublem23
11-12-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by john2499
Yeah and so is the Silver Bullet League.

Matsui was offered a 4 YR $32 MIL. contract by his former team in Japan. How many 29 YO AAA players are offered that kind of $ ?
You are right, by definition, AAA players are professional, but they are in AAA because they are not professional enough. Matsui isn't a rookie and he shouldn't have won ROY. IMHO

That's fine... I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree. I don't believe Matsui should have won it over Berroa, anyway, I'm just saying that I think Japanese professional players should be eligible for the ROY like other rookies.

john2499
11-13-2003, 02:09 PM
That's fine... I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree.
You're right, and it's not worth discussing the Yankees anyway.

Randar68
11-13-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1659479

SHOCKING! Although I do agree with him for a change.

Maybe it's just me, but why do people think it's a national story every time George get's PO'd? It's a daily occurrence and I don't care if it was fair or not, but he's the last guy in baseball who should be whining and moaning.

FarWestChicago
11-13-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Maybe it's just me, but why do people think it's a national story every time George get's PO'd? No, it's not just you.