PDA

View Full Version : The Yankmees Offseason Plans

hold2dibber
11-11-2003, 06:02 PM
According to Verducci (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/writers/tom_verducci/11/11/insider/?cnn=yes), the Yankees are trying to work a three-way deal in which they'd get Schilling (from the D'Backs), the D'Backs would get Sexson (from the Brewers) and the Brewers would get Nick Johnson (from the Yankees) and John Patterson (from the D'Backs). They also plan on re-signing Pettite and acquiring Vlad to play RF. That would leave them with the following lineup:

2B Soriano
SS Jeter
RF Vlad
DH Giambi
1B Sexson
CF Williams
LF Matsui
C Posada
3B Boone

And a rotation of:

Mussina
Schilling
Pettite
Contreras
Lieber

That should be good for 105 wins. Sigh.

Daver
11-11-2003, 06:05 PM
How much you wanna bet Schilling vetoes that trade?

Chisoxfn
11-11-2003, 06:40 PM
So Nick Johnson gets them Sexson and Schilling?

Jjav829
11-11-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
So Nick Johnson gets them Sexson and Schilling?

I think he accidentally added Sexson in at first. Sexson would go to the D'backs. The Yanks would only get Schilling. I doubt it happens though.

Hondo
11-11-2003, 07:50 PM
I don't think Vlad signs with them. He's not a NY sort of guy. I think he'll go to Baltimore.

StepsInSC
11-11-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Daver
How much you wanna bet Schilling vetoes that trade?

He's said he doesn't want to pitch in the AL yes, but he has also stated he wants to pitch on the big stage, possibly implying with the Yanks.

SoxxoS
11-11-2003, 08:29 PM
I don't think Sexton for Shilling is enough for the D'Backs.

StepsInSC
11-11-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
I don't think Sexton for Shilling is enough for the D'Backs.

They're trying to drop salary significantly over the coming years though. Although Sexton surely isn't that cheap.

fuzzy_patters
11-11-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
According to Verducci (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/writers/tom_verducci/11/11/insider/?cnn=yes), the Yankees are trying to work a three-way deal in which they'd get Schilling (from the D'Backs), the D'Backs would get Sexson (from the Brewers) and the Brewers would get Nick Johnson (from the Yankees) and John Patterson (from the D'Backs). They also plan on re-signing Pettite and acquiring Vlad to play RF. That would leave them with the following lineup:

2B Soriano
SS Jeter
RF Vlad
DH Giambi
1B Sexson
CF Williams
LF Matsui
C Posada
3B Boone

And a rotation of:

Mussina
Schilling
Pettite
Contreras
Lieber

That should be good for 105 wins. Sigh.

Who would be their sixth option to start? It is risky counting on John Lieber. With King George's resources, I'm sure he will sign a sixth starter for insurance, but who?

cornball
11-11-2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Hondo
I don't think Vlad signs with them. He's not a NY sort of guy. I think he'll go to Baltimore.

My guess is the Dodgers or Braves.

DSpivack
11-11-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
I don't think Sexton for Schilling is enough for the D'Backs.

It's not just Schilling; John Patterson was mentioned, not a bad young pitcher. Patterson wasn't good last year, but is not still a big prospect for Ariz.? I just don't see them dealing him, then again, they would be getting Richie Sexson. Also, would the Brewers want Nick Johnson? Sure, he's a cheap replacement, but they have more glaring needs in pitching and the outfield, no?

RichH55
11-12-2003, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
Who would be their sixth option to start? It is risky counting on John Lieber. With King George's resources, I'm sure he will sign a sixth starter for insurance, but who?

Jeff Weaver