PDA

View Full Version : ESPN.com on recent hirings

MisterB
11-11-2003, 04:32 PM
Buster Olney has a piece on ESPN.com (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=olney_buster&id=1659190) looking at what the newly hired managers and GM's have to face. His comments regarding Ozzie:

Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen: He possesses a remarkable enthusiasm and knows the game. What Guillen has never had is a mute button. He has always uttered his strong opinions, and while baseball writers all over the country are celebrating the hiring of Guillen -- who instantly becomes the most quotable manager -- he cannot possibly succeed while offering blunt, day-to-day assessments of his players.

The latest generation of players is extremely sensitive to criticism, which is why the Yankees love Joe Torre (who almost never utters a negative word in public about any of his players) and why some of the Phillies are fed up with Larry Bowa (whose words and body language provide a constant barometer to his feelings). Guillen will have to swallow the truth sometimes, for his own sake.

RedPinStripes
11-11-2003, 06:01 PM
That's pretty acurate. We'll see if "Ozzie's way" works. God i hope so.

DSpivack
11-11-2003, 11:42 PM
I'm more worried about who will play for the Sox then who manages them.

Brian26
11-12-2003, 12:05 AM
Player-Manager Ozzie Guillen and the first ever Player-Third Base Coach Joey Cora. Is it possible to be a third base coach and play secondbase on the field? I guess during the Sox inning at the plate, Cora can coach at third until he's due on-deck. Then, Warren Newson can go out and take his place while Cora gets ready to bat. Kinda like how you did it in Little League.