PDA

View Full Version : AL Cy Young Announced Today 11-11-03

SouthSideGuy21
11-11-2003, 09:29 AM
Does anyone know what time at all?
I checked on MLB.com all they give is the date.
Just wondering if anyone heard something elsewhere.

chisoxjk
11-11-2003, 11:44 AM
1:00 Central.

Although it looks like the bad finish is going to cost Loaiza.......

washington
11-11-2003, 11:55 AM
I looked on espn.com (dunno why) and every one of their experts picks Halladay over Loaiza. I think there are legitimate arguments on behalf of Halladay, but come on: His team was out of contention before July, he had only 1 more win than Loaiza (22-21) a higher ERA (3.25 v.2.90 ) & fewer strikeouts (204 v. 207). And Loaiza excelled when he started the All Star Game and his team stuck him with two 1-0 losses to the Tigers.

So why should it be a landslide for Halladay?

FanOf14
11-11-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by washington
I looked on espn.com (dunno why) and every one of their experts picks Halladay over Loaiza. I think there are legitimate arguments on behalf of Halladay, but come on: His team was out of contention before July, he had only 1 more win than Loaiza (22-21) a higher ERA (3.25 v.2.90 ) & fewer strikeouts (204 v. 207). And Loaiza excelled when he started the All Star Game and his team stuck him with two 1-0 losses to the Tigers.

While I agree with what is in your post, chances are they will think about the most recent happenings instead of overall.

Foulke You
11-11-2003, 11:59 AM
and his team stuck him with two 1-0 losses to the Tigers.

It's a damn shame that those two 1-0 losses, not only ransacked our division title hopes but will also will probably cost Loaiza the Cy Young. If Esteban had 23 wins opposed to 21 wins he would be a slam dunk for the Cy Young.

Brian26
11-11-2003, 01:00 PM
I think the vote is swayed by what kind of team each of these guys was on. Toronto actually played pretty decent ball in the first half, but the White Sox had far more talent in every department. For Halladay to get that many wins on a team with inferior talent to the Sox says a lot for him. I hope Loaiza gets it, but I think it's Halladay's. I don't think it helps that Loaiza won comeback player of the year also. I think it hurts his chances to win both awards.

Brian26
11-11-2003, 01:01 PM
That Thursday afternoon loss to the Twins killed too since he was squeezed by the umps in the first inning and should have been out of there without a scratch.

DonkeyKongerko
11-11-2003, 01:03 PM
Halladay wins.

washington
11-11-2003, 01:04 PM
4th time a Toronto pitcher has won in the last 8 years (Clemens and Hentgen were the others)

FanOf14
11-11-2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by DonkeyKongerko
Halladay wins.

Not surprised, but yet I am still disappointed.

washington
11-11-2003, 01:08 PM
From espn.com:

Halladay...received 26 first-place votes and two seconds for 136 points in balloting by the Baseball Writers' Association of America.

Loaiza, who went to spring training with a minor league contract, got two firsts, 16 seconds and five thirds for 63 points.

duke of dorwood
11-11-2003, 01:15 PM
Halladay on a holiday

CONSPIRACY

Foulke You
11-11-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
I think the vote is swayed by what kind of team each of these guys was on. Toronto actually played pretty decent ball in the first half, but the White Sox had far more talent in every department. For Halladay to get that many wins on a team with inferior talent to the Sox says a lot for him. I hope Loaiza gets it, but I think it's Halladay's. I don't think it helps that Loaiza won comeback player of the year also. I think it hurts his chances to win both awards.

The Blue Jays were a bad team because of their starting pitching not their hitting. You are forgetting that Halladay had a smokin' Toronto offense to back him up with a lot of runs while in the first half Loaiza had basically zero run support from the Sox yet still won. Loaiza kept winning and kept his team in the thick of the pennant race while the Jays were all but buried by the time July rolled around. Esteban had more strikeouts and a better E.R.A. than Halladay.

The fact that the vote was as swayed in Halladay's favor in a landslide is absolutely ridiculous and an insult to the season Loaiza had. White Sox get hosed again. What else is new?

idseer
11-11-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
It's a damn shame that those two 1-0 losses, not only ransacked our division title hopes but will also will probably cost Loaiza the Cy Young. If Esteban had 23 wins opposed to 21 wins he would be a slam dunk for the Cy Young.

otoh, loaiza was lucky to have 21. remember the start he was given at the end. i don't think he should have even HAD that opportunity.

besides .... he doesn't need any stinking badges!

washington
11-11-2003, 02:10 PM
The Blue Jays were a bad team because of their starting pitching not their hitting. You are forgetting that Halladay had a smokin' Toronto offense to back him up with a lot of runs while in the first half Loaiza had basically zero run support from the Sox yet still won.

Excellent points, Toronto was much better than the White Sox offensively last year: they were #2 in runs scored in the AL (Sox were 8th) and led the Sox in slugging %, OBP, avg., BB, hits, doubles & triples.

poorme
11-11-2003, 02:16 PM
T Hudson OAK 23.17
E Loaiza CWS 23.06
R Halladay TOR 23.01
K Foulke OAK 21.35
P Martinez BOS 19.85
M Mussina NYY 18.62

bc2k
11-11-2003, 02:27 PM
From espn.com:

Halladay...received 26 first-place votes and two seconds for 136 points in balloting by the Baseball Writers' Association of America.

Loaiza, who went to spring training with a minor league contract, got two firsts, 16 seconds and five thirds for 63 points.

That's what stood out of the entire article. *** is with 2 first place votes?

Do we know who these writers are? Any Chicago writers? Moronotti? Chicago writers alone should have outvoted 2 damn first place votes.

I wish we knew how many of those 266 innings Halladay pitched were with huge leads in blowouts. His 266 were the only reason he won this. That's all he had over Loaiza.

This reminds me of Chicago writers who voted Karl Malone over Jordan for MVP. ***

Halladay should give the assist to Chicago's piss-poor offense. Sox hitters ****ing suck. They're the reason we didn't make the playoffs and now the reason Loazia didn't win the award he earned despite them.

CubKilla
11-11-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
This reminds me of Chicago writers who voted Karl Malone over Jordan for MVP. ***

And Jordan was afforded the opportunity to shove it right back in all their faces.

Hopefully, Loaiza does the same thing in '04.

Brian26
11-11-2003, 02:41 PM
The Blue Jays were a bad team because of their starting pitching not their hitting. You are forgetting that Halladay had a smokin' Toronto offense to back him up with a lot of runs while in the first half Loaiza had basically zero run support from the Sox yet still won.

Go back and read what I posted. I didn't look in any stat books, and I didn't check to see who scored more runs or had a higher team on-base percentage. The White Sox had more talent in 2003. Perception is sometimes reality. The White Sox lineup was absolutely stacked after the early July trades. I think the writers perceived that the White Sox, with a lineup absolutely loaded from top to bottom, were a better offensive team than the Blue Jays. I still stand by my statement that the Sox had more talent. They didn't get the job done, as you pointed out. Still, did the writers do their homework like you did? Apparently not.

bc2k
11-11-2003, 04:16 PM

Do we know who these writers are? Any Chicago writers? Moronotti?

To answer my own question, Mariotti said he was "buying" the idea of Halladay over Loazia for Cy Young today on Around the Horn. Whether he had a vote for the Cy Young, I don't know.

chisoxjk
11-11-2003, 04:23 PM
To answer my own question, Mariotti said he was "buying" the idea of Halladay over Loazia for Cy Young today on Around the Horn. Whether he had a vote for the Cy Young, I don't know.

Moronotti doesn't have a vote.

According to AP, Loaiza got the first-place votes of both Chicago voters, Scot Gregor of the Daily Herald and Doug Padilla of the Sun-Times.

Foulke You
11-11-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by chisoxjk
Moronotti doesn't have a vote.

According to AP, Loaiza got the first-place votes of both Chicago voters, Scot Gregor of the Daily Herald and Doug Padilla of the Sun-Times.

What? You mean the Tribune's voter didn't vote for Esteban Loaiza of the White Sox?! I'm shocked!!

Lip Man 1
11-11-2003, 07:37 PM
The Tribune writers DO NOT have a vote. Each MLB city has two votes and two votes only.

Please stop with the conspiracy theories. (ohhhh woe is me, everybody hates and deliberate goes out of their way to embarass and belittle the White Sox!)

Lip