PDA

View Full Version : A Big Thank You to all US Vets

Dadawg_77
11-11-2003, 08:19 AM
Today is 11th day of the 11th month. I wish to personally say thank you for every single poster and lurker who defend our freedoms in service of our Country.

This may not be Sox related but I felt it merited the Clubhouse.

davenicholson
11-11-2003, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Today is 11th day of November. I wish to personally say thank you for every single poster and lurker who defend our freedoms in service of our Country.

Dawg,
I agree with and echo your sentiments 100%. Thanks to all the men and women around here who have signed up to put their respective lives on the line for the rest of us. Thank you and God bless you all.

thepaulbowski
11-11-2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by davenicholson
Dawg,
I agree with and echo your sentiments 100%. Thanks to all the men and women around here who have signed up to put their respective lives on the line for the rest of us. Thank you and God bless you all.

I second that. Here's to you all!!!

duke of dorwood
11-11-2003, 11:15 AM
My best to ALL vets from all conflicts, here now and gone that enable us to voice opinions here every day.

Hondo
11-11-2003, 11:18 AM
Here Here.

And let's keep those still overseas in our prays.

Come back home soon and safe guys!

Randar68
11-11-2003, 11:23 AM
Today is 11th day of November. I wish to personally say thank you for every single poster and lurker who defend our freedoms in service of our Country.

Here-here.

xil357
11-11-2003, 11:38 AM
I wish to thank -- with all sincerity -- all those who have served our country in the fields of battle and during peacetime. A few examples:

Men like John McCain, who was a POW during the Vietnam War.

Ladies like Jessica Lynch, who, while the exact details of her situation remain sketchy, still was serving and defending her country when she was captured.

Men like my mother's cousin, Dickie O'Connell, who was his mother's only child and remains MIA from the Korean War.

Patriots like Phillip Caputo (author or A Rumor of War), who do us the service of telling us about the horrors of warfare.

Pilots like my uncle, who as an Air Force F-4 pilot in Vietnam, had the courage to refuse a second tour of duty because he felt that his talent for flying "an incredible feat of engineering" was wasted by dropping Napalm and Agent Orange on innocent children in Cambodia and Laos.

Sailors and airmen like my other uncle who served in the U.S. Navy, and like George H.W. Bush, who was shot down over the Pacific, and John F. Kennedy, who rescued some of his men after a terrible encounter between the PT-109 under his command and a Japanese destroyer.

Soldiers like my paternal grandfather, who was the youngest air base commander west of the Mississippi during WWII for the U.S. Army Air Forces, Teddy Roosevelt, Ulysses S. Grant, Robert E. Lee, William Tecumseh Sherman, Colin Powell, John Kerry, Al Gore and Wesley Clark.

Physicians like my step grandfather who was a U.S. Navy medic in WWII, and my grandmother, who was an Army nurse during WWII.

Others who served in other capacities, like Red Cross ambulance driver Ernest Hemingway.

To all you aforementioned patriots, alive and deceased, and those unmentioned here, your selfless and conscientious service exemplifies the best of America.

My thanks do not include those who have deserted their military obligations for 18 months, however, like our current commander-in-chief.

Risk
11-11-2003, 11:46 AM

Good form Dadawg. What you posted was extremily well thought out and much needed. :)

To all the soldiers overseas, stay healthy and safe

And one more thing, here's one for you :gulp:

Risk

thepaulbowski
11-11-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by xil357
My thanks do not include those who have deserted their military obligations for 18 months, however, like our current commander-in-chief.

Please do not make this a political forum that belongs in the parking lot.

Here's to all that have and are currently making this country the greatest in the world. :gulp:

white sox bill
11-11-2003, 11:51 AM
I was in the Naval Reserves for 8 years, and I speak for ALL of us:

YOUR ALL WELCOME!

Bring the troops back soon!

CubKilla
11-11-2003, 12:01 PM
Both of my grandfathers and my step-great grandfather served in WWII. One of my grandfathers was in the signal corp..... transmitting messages via morse code, breaking enemy coded communications, etc. My other grandfather was a mechanic who worked on bombers and repaired the damage they sustained after a bombing run. Both served in the Army at the time.

My step-great grandfather was on a gunnery detachment with the United States Marines and he served in the Pacific. I always remember him talking really loud because he lost some hearing from repeatedly firing a gun that looked like a huge cannon.

3 family members of mine that served their Country when when their Country needed them. God bless all who served in the past, especially now..... in the present, and to those that will eventually serve in the future.

xil357
11-11-2003, 12:16 PM
I neglected to mention my wife's grandfather, who came ashore at Normandy a few days after the original landing. He was wounded several weeks later. He still has shards of metal in his leg from the incident. He has the "1000 yard stare" of many combat vets, and although he is about 80 now, he is still as fit and strong as he was back then. To this day he farms the land on which he was raised.

I also failed to mention a now deceased friend of mine who was a WWII vet. Bud Warning was in the Aleutian Islands as a Navy radio operator. It was his unit that cracked the Japanese code that allowed the U.S. Navy to locate, target and shoot down Yamamoto's (please forgive errant spelling) airplane.

I also should recognize one of my favorite students, who served as an officer in the Air Force, and her father, who seved in both the Army and the Air Force. And another former student who served in the Navy.

A special shout out to the Tuskegee Airmen and all those Black, Latino, Japanese, Arabic and other ethnic minorities who, despite being mistreated in the U.S., took up arms to defend the American dream in various conflicts. A really special recognition is due Army Gen. John Abazaid, who commands American forces in Iraq.

Everywhere we turn there are great Americans who served their country with distinction and honor. To all the vets here at WSI, thank you!!!

CubKilla
11-11-2003, 12:34 PM
I too forgot to mention my father's fiances dad, who..... despite raising his daughter a Cub fan..... was one of the soldiers that stormed the beach at Normandy on D-Day. God Bless.

FanOf14
11-11-2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
I too forgot to mention my father's fiances dad, who..... despite raising his daughter a Cub fan..... was one of the soldiers that stormed the beach at Normandy on D-Day. God Bless.

My bf's grand-dad was there. My grand-dad trained the troops...he never talked much about being the Army, just talked about the great men and women that served.

My bf's dad was in the Marines during the Cuban Missle Crisis.

doublem23
11-11-2003, 12:40 PM
Since I am not related to any veterans, I don't think I can add any more to this than has already been said, but my own personal thank you to all those willing to sacrifice it all for their country and its ideologies. You'll never be forgotten.

voodoochile
11-11-2003, 01:38 PM
No different than a b-day thread and it deserves to stay right where it is.

I too say thank you to all the people who have ever served this country in the military.

:gulp:

Iwritecode
11-11-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Since I am not related to any veterans

Seriously???

That's kinda interesting. I've got all kinds of family members that were in the armed forces at one time or another. My half-brother is still there and my dad is a Vietnam vet.

Anyway, to echo what has already been said, thank you all!

Steve Bartman
11-11-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by xil357
I wish to thank -- with all sincerity -- all those who have served our country in the fields of battle and during peacetime. A few examples:

Men like John McCain, who was a POW during the Vietnam War.

Ladies like Jessica Lynch, who, while the exact details of her situation remain sketchy, still was serving and defending her country when she was captured.

Men like my mother's cousin, Dickie O'Connell, who was his mother's only child and remains MIA from the Korean War.

Patriots like Phillip Caputo (author or A Rumor of War), who do us the service of telling us about the horrors of warfare.

Pilots like my uncle, who as an Air Force F-4 pilot in Vietnam, had the courage to refuse a second tour of duty because he felt that his talent for flying "an incredible feat of engineering" was wasted by dropping Napalm and Agent Orange on innocent children in Cambodia and Laos.

Sailors and airmen like my other uncle who served in the U.S. Navy, and like George H.W. Bush, who was shot down over the Pacific, and John F. Kennedy, who rescued some of his men after a terrible encounter between the PT-109 under his command and a Japanese destroyer.

Soldiers like my paternal grandfather, who was the youngest air base commander west of the Mississippi during WWII for the U.S. Army Air Forces, Teddy Roosevelt, Ulysses S. Grant, Robert E. Lee, William Tecumseh Sherman, Colin Powell, John Kerry, Al Gore and Wesley Clark.

Physicians like my step grandfather who was a U.S. Navy medic in WWII, and my grandmother, who was an Army nurse during WWII.

Others who served in other capacities, like Red Cross ambulance driver Ernest Hemingway.

To all you aforementioned patriots, alive and deceased, and those unmentioned here, your selfless and conscientious service exemplifies the best of America.

Al Gore was not a hero in Vietnam by any means. He spent 5 months there as a journalist/reporter. I remember Gore in certain primary debates and debates against Republicans, and he kept talking about "coming back from Vietnam". He intentionally misrepresents his experience in Vietnam. To be fair about this Xil, you could have mentioned our former President Clinton who was a draft dodger.

This thread was started to recognize our Veterans, but unfortunately Xil, you had to throw at us your hatred of Bush, so I had to respond.

Steve Bartman
11-11-2003, 03:57 PM
Thanks to all the veterans who so bravely fought for their country. God bless you, and God bless the USA!!!!!!!!!!

doublem23
11-11-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Seriously???

That's kinda interesting. I've got all kinds of family members that were in the armed forces at one time or another. My half-brother is still there and my dad is a Vietnam vet.

Anyway, to echo what has already been said, thank you all!

Yeah, both sides of my family have not been in America that long. I am 2nd generation on one side and first on the other. Actually, I am related to more veterans of the Nazi Army (1) than American (0).

:o:

oheeoh...magglio
11-11-2003, 08:45 PM
My thanks to the greatest vets in the world form the greatest army in the world in the greatest country in the world. Without all of you, we wouldn't have the white sox or any of the freedoms we currently live with. God Bless you all and God bless this great country :smile: .

Mammoo
11-11-2003, 11:42 PM
God bless you guys for your tremendous sacrifice!!! :gulp:

hsnterprize
11-12-2003, 08:24 AM
As a 10-year Army veteran, I appreciate your good words. I served 4 years in active duty, and 6 in the reserves. Days like Veterans Day and Memorial Day have special meaning for me for obvious reasons.

Do me a favor, everyone. NEVER FORGET the sacrifices we Soldiers, Airmen, Marines, sailors, and Coast Guardsmen make every day, whether its during war or peacetime. Don't think people in the Armed Forces only die in war. I know of several situations where fellow paratroopers died in jumps, soldiers died in training accidents, and other fatal situations. So...the next time you're doing something rather boring and mundane, and you're thinking about life being rough...lemme tell y'all...you don't know how good you've got it. Granted, life can be rough and unfair at times. However, if it weren't for the men and women in uniform protecting our freedoms, we'd be in a worse situation in this country. Just ask the people living in places like Iraq and other countries with tyrannical governments. We here in America have such liberties as the freedoms of speech, religion, the press, the rights to vote, assemble, and others that we've taken for granted. Let's never forget that in spite of our differences in opinions, beliefs, and other things, we at least live in a free country that allows us to be who we are...and better if we want to be.

Please, from this Airborne veteran, never forget that.

Dadawg_77
11-13-2003, 01:33 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/11/opinion/11INTRO.html

I cam upon this story today. It is collection of final letters home written by US soliders who were killed in action in Iraq.

Here is one from the article, the letter was to be delivered if Army Pfc. Jesse A. Givens was killed.

My family,

I never thought that I would be writing a letter like this. I really don't know where to start. I've been getting bad feelings, though and, well, if you are reading this. . . .

The happiest moments in my life all deal with my little family. I will always have with me the small moments we all shared. The moments when you quit taking life so serious and smiled. The sounds of a beautiful boy's laughter or the simple nudge of a baby unborn. You will never know how complete you have made me. You saved me from loneliness and taught me how to think beyond myself. You taught me how to live and to love. You opened my eyes to a world I never dreamed existed.

Dakota . . . you taught me how to care until it hurts, you taught me how to smile again. You taught me that life isn't so serious and sometimes you just have to play. You have a big, beautiful heart. Through life you need to keep it open and follow it. Never be afraid to be yourself. I will always be there in our park when you dream so we can play. I love you, and hope someday you will understand why I didn't come home. Please be proud of me.

Bean, I never got to see you but I know in my heart you are beautiful. I know you will be strong and big-hearted like your mom and brother. I will always have with me the feel of the soft nudges on your mom's belly, and the joy I felt when I found out you were on your way. I love you, Bean.

Melissa, I have never been as blessed as the day I met you. You are my angel, soulmate, wife, lover and best friend. I am sorry. I did not want to have to write this letter. There is so much more I need to say, so much more I need to share. A lifetime's worth. I married you for a million lifetimes. That's how long I will be with you. Please keep my babies safe. Please find it in your heart to forgive me for leaving you alone. . . . Teach our babies to live life to the fullest, tell yourself to do the same.

I will always be there with you, Melissa. I will always want you, need you and love you, in my heart, my mind and my soul. Do me a favor, after you tuck the children in. Give them hugs and kisses from me. Go outside and look at the stars and count them. Don't forget to smile.

Love Always,
Your husband,
Jess