PDA

View Full Version : Paul Konerko to LA idea?

JDP
11-11-2003, 04:18 AM
I saw a thread on another message board. Any thoughts to the idea of a trade to Paul Konerko (and his salary!) to Los Angeles for 2B Joe Thurston and 1B Ching-Feng Chen?

Frees up $8.0 from the payroll, providing more flexibility and gets us top-tier prospects at the 2B and 1B positions. Yes, no, maybe so?

gosox41
11-11-2003, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by JDP
I saw a thread on another message board. Any thoughts to the idea of a trade to Paul Konerko (and his salary!) to Los Angeles for 2B Joe Thurston and 1B Ching-Feng Chen?

Frees up $8.0 from the payroll, providing more flexibility and gets us top-tier prospects at the 2B and 1B positions. Yes, no, maybe so?

I'd do it in a second. Just freeing up $8 mill from GIDPaul Konerko's salary make it all the worthwhile.

I have my doubts if LA would go for it. Where did you hear this rumor?

Bob

hold2dibber
11-11-2003, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by JDP

White Sox: "Sounds good!"

Dodgers: "Fuggitaboutit."

Sounds good to me, but there's no way the Dodgers would do it. PK was the worst hitting regular first baseman in all of baseball last year.

Let that sink in for a minute.

So why would the Dodgers part with two good prospects just to get him and his bloated contract? If you're the Dodgers, wouldn't you rather sign Rafael Palmiero (who continues to put up much better numbers than PK) for 1/4 of what PK makes? And keep your propsects? Hell, they'd be better off re-signing the Crime Dog (who will likely cost no more than $2 million) than trading two top prospects for Konerko and his $8 million salary. This link (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_sortable_player_stats.jsp?section1=null&statSet1=null&statType=1&timeFrame=1&baseballScope=mlb&prevPage1=1&readBoxes=true&sitSplit=&venueID=&subScope=pos&teamPosCode=3&compare.x=28&compare.y=3&timeSubFrame=2003&box1=XXXX117244cha3&box2=XXXX112680mon3&box3=XXXX122251chn3&box4=XXXX118730lan3&box5=XXXX114526sfn3&compare.x=&sortByStat=AVG&) compares PK's '03 numbers with those of a variety of free agent first baseman, all of who, undoubtedly, will be available for FAR less than PK's salary in '04. And these guys are bottom of the barrell types - guys like Derrick Lee, Palmiero, Fullmer and Juan Gonzalez are all available as well, and even they will cost much less than $8 million in the current market. The unavoidable conclusion? There's no way the Sox can trade Konerko unless they trade him for someone else's horrible contract (i.e., Jeff Weaver, Roger Cedeno, Denny Neagle, etc.).

moochpuppy
11-11-2003, 08:59 AM
I would bet that the Dodgers would want us pay a portion of PK's salary or take on Hundley.

joepoe
11-11-2003, 09:02 AM
I would like nothing more than to unload the crippled, unproductive Paul Konerko. Since the All Star Break of 2002 he has played well in only two months, July and August of 2003. He is the millstone around this team's neck and at $8 million this season, he would be an expensive bench warmer. The only way we get rid of him is by taking some other team's high priced garbage in exchange.

white sox bill
11-11-2003, 11:45 AM
This is doubful, but hey, Danny Evans took Todd Huntley back. Maybe they are suckers!

fledgedrallycap
11-11-2003, 11:57 AM
I think the Dodgers would be a strong candidate for a number of Sox players - they need offense and have a lot of pitching.

The problem lies in that the Dodgers are pending sale to new ownership - ownership which may blow-up the front office and coaching staff. So word on the street is that L.A. just isn't making moves until the sale is complete. Hopefully this occurs soon....

RichH55
11-11-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
I think the Dodgers would be a strong candidate for a number of Sox players - they need offense and have a lot of pitching.

The problem lies in that the Dodgers are pending sale to new ownership - ownership which may blow-up the front office and coaching staff. So word on the street is that L.A. just isn't making moves until the sale is complete. Hopefully this occurs soon....

I don't think we can move PK for just prospects, especially viable ones....probable a guy like Perez if his arbitration comes back high

chisoxjk
11-11-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
I don't think we can move PK for just prospects, especially viable ones....probable a guy like Perez if his arbitration comes back high

Absolutely.

This is not the time of the year where clubs are willing to Rent-A-Player at a high salary in return for prospects.

KingXerxes
11-11-2003, 04:44 PM
Ring............ring...............ring!

Hello, Danny Evans here!

Hey Evans, it's Williams from the White Sox.

Hey Kenny how are you?

Okay, I guess............listen Danny I'm gonna get right to it. Do you have any grinders that you'd be willing to trade us for Paul Konerko?

Do we have to pick up his salary Kenny?

Uh.......yes........uh............eight million for next year and for the year after it's.......

CLICK!

Uh hello? Evans are you still there? Hello? Helllllloooooooooooo!

jabrch
11-11-2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
Ring............ring...............ring!

Hello, Danny Evans here!

Hey Evans, it's Williams from the White Sox.

Hey Kenny how are you?

Okay, I guess............listen Danny I'm gonna get right to it. Do you have any grinders that you'd be willing to trade us for Paul Konerko?

Do we have to pick up his salary Kenny?

Uh.......yes........uh............eight million for next year and for the year after it's.......

CLICK!

Uh hello? Evans are you still there? Hello? Helllllloooooooooooo!

Kenny hits the redial button...
ring......ring......ring.....

Dan Evans speaking

Danny, its Kenny, we got disconnected. I was just mentioning that once we trade Konerko, his salary goes up from $8mm to over $9mm.

Kenny, I have an deal for you. You can have Todd Hundley for Konerko

Why would I want a worthless piece of garbage like Hundley Dan?

EXACTLY

CLICK!

hold2dibber
11-11-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by jabrch

Dan Evans speaking

Danny, its Kenny, we got disconnected. I was just mentioning that once we trade Konerko, his salary goes up from $8mm to over $9mm.

EXACTLY

CLICK!

Actually, the Sox would probably do Hundley for PK straight up - Hundley has $6.5 million left on his contract, PK has $18 million left on his contract (if he's traded). But that's exactly why the Dodgers wouldn't touch PK for Hundley.

If the Sox are going to unload salary on the Dodgers, it would have to be Lee or Ordonez for pitching (i.e., for O. Perez and/or G. Mota).

soxwon
11-11-2003, 06:00 PM
i thought FUZZY THURSTON quit in the 60s lol
and i dont want any orientals on our team.
then we have to deal with those plastic bat things the asian fans make noise with.
then they will want sushi- i say NO WAY.

RedPinStripes
11-11-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by jabrch

Dan Evans speaking

EXACTLY

CLICK!

LOL!

MarkEdward
11-11-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by soxwon
i thought FUZZY THURSTON quit in the 60s lol
and i dont want any orientals on our team.
then we have to deal with those plastic bat things the asian fans make noise with.
then they will want sushi- i say NO WAY.

Um...

It's pointless replying to this stupid post, but Thurston is from Fairfield, California.

hold2dibber
11-11-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Um...

It's pointless replying to this stupid post, but Thurston is from Fairfield, California.

But I'm guessing Ching-Feng Chen is not.

soxwon
11-11-2003, 07:04 PM
do you even know who FUZZY THURSTON WAS?
and secondly- get a sense of humor, i was just messing around.
a humorless Soxfan will not survive

doublem23
11-11-2003, 08:53 PM
If the Dodgers would trade Eric Karros and Mark Grudzielanek for Todd Hundley (I can't believe anyone would still lust after Dan Evans after that boner), I wouldn't put anything past them.

Lip Man 1
11-11-2003, 08:58 PM
The Dodgers / Cubs deal will to cut payroll from L.A.'s point of view (but the Cubs sure took advantage of it.)

Wish the Sox could take advantage of someone like that once in a while.

Lip

MarkEdward
11-11-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
But I'm guessing Ching-Feng Chen is not.

I misunderstood an obnoxiously racist post. Damn.

soxwon
11-11-2003, 10:48 PM
fuzzy thurston played for the packers in the 60s.
your feng guy can join hip hop choi who the cubs are about to dump!!
i actually love asian food. i guess i cant be a total racist lol

DSpivack
11-11-2003, 11:45 PM
There's no way the Dodgers make the same stupid mistake twice. There's also no way they're adding payroll, especially some as mediocre as PK.

nodiggity59
11-12-2003, 12:02 AM
Lip

Originally posted by Lip Man 1
The Dodgers / Cubs deal will to cut payroll from L.A.'s point of view (but the Cubs sure took advantage of it.)

Lip

We ARE "Someone like that"

Gee I wonder who'll take advantage of us........?

RichH55
11-12-2003, 03:31 AM

Lip

Colon deal? Or does Eric Karros cound as more of a steal than Bartolo for essentially Liefer, Biddle and Osuna?

gosox41
11-12-2003, 08:29 AM

Lip

Do you mean like they did when they trade Navarro and his $5 mill salary for Cal Eldred and his $4.5 mill. salary and Valentin and his $3.5 mill. salary?

Bob

doublem23
11-12-2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
Colon deal? Or does Eric Karros cound as more of a steal than Bartolo for essentially Liefer, Biddle and Osuna?

Sssh... He's being blindly existential again.

RichH55
11-12-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Sssh... He's being blindly existential again.

I just hope it leads to a Jumbotron reference