PDA

View Full Version : Twins Payroll Crunch

joecrede
11-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Article talks about the Twins payroll problems.

Summary:

- 2004 payroll expected to be $56M
- 7 players under contract for 2004 totaling $43.6M.
- Mientkiewicz, Pierzynski, Santana, Rivas and Romero arbitration eligible.
- Guardado, Hawkins and Stewart are free-agents.

Article (reg. required) (http://www.startribune.com/stories/509/4202769.html)

Dadawg_77
11-10-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
Article talks about the Twins payroll problems.

Summary:

- 2004 payroll expected to be $56M
- 7 players under contract for 2004 totaling $43.6M.
- Mientkiewicz, Pierzynski, Santana, Rivas and Romero arbitration eligible.
- Guardado, Hawkins and Stewart are free-agents.

Article (reg. required) (http://www.startribune.com/stories/509/4202769.html)

Mientkiewicz and Pierzynski should be gone. If they let Santana go the Sox should snatch him up

kittle42
11-11-2003, 12:57 AM
Naturally, just another excuse for the Sox to do nothing.

soxruleEP
11-11-2003, 11:30 AM
If they let Piekyzynaquizeski go, we should sign him. As big a jackass as the guy is, he one of the top five catchers in the league.

Tekijawa
11-11-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
If they let Santana go the Sox should snatch him up

Agreed, he'd look great in A white Sox uni!

Foulke You
11-11-2003, 12:26 PM
This article only means that the Twins will be on equal footing with the Sox as far as payroll goes. How frustrating is this that a team in small town Mineapolis is going to spend about the same on payroll as our White Sox from Chicago? I agree with a previous poster that said that this only encourages Sox management to sit on their hands and do nothing to add payroll and hope next year's division race ends better than this year's.

If Reinsdorf would just increase payroll conservatively to say $70 million, we would have the Twins outgunned. The winning ballclub plus the renovations would make the attendance spike for sure and he would more than make up for the $10 million extra payroll in ticket sales and TV ratings increases. Not to mention the increase in season ticket sales a winning ballclub creates.

If we outspent the Twins and could snatch Latroy Hawkins away from them and make him a huge offer the Twins couldn't match, it would do wonders for the psyche of the team and our fanbase. Of course, Latroy Hawkins in a Sox uniform should be in deep pink. He will be wearing Yankee pinstripes next year for sure.

doublem23
11-11-2003, 12:41 PM
Johan Santana and AJ Pierzynski would look terrific in South Side pinstripes.

RichH55
11-11-2003, 12:47 PM
I'd take Santana is a second.........

Getting rid of Dougie for them is probably addition by subtraction

Lip Man 1
11-11-2003, 12:50 PM
I still think based on comments I've read that Hawkins will wind up with the Cubs, the team he grew up rooting for in Gary.

Lip

Foulke You
11-11-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I still think based on comments I've read that Hawkins will wind up with the Cubs, the team he grew up rooting for in Gary.

Lip

I don't know what is worse, having him on the Yankees or having him on the Cubs. I think if it becomes a pure bidding war for Latroy's services, Tribune Company will not go head to head with Steinbrenner. George wants bullpen help and he will get it at any cost. I don't believe the same can be said for Cubs management. Especially with Kerry Wood's contract coming up soon.

I do know that I would rather have Hawkins on the Cubs than have him re-up with the Twins. Get him the hell out of the AL Central. Latroy ate us alive more often than not. It would mean seeing him 6 games a year as compared to 19 games a year.

JRIG
11-11-2003, 01:45 PM
We already tried accumulating ex-Indians. I'm not sure we should be worrying about accumulating ex-Twins.

Does it occur to you that these guys look a lot better than they actually are because we always see them beating us? (with the exception of Santana, who is really good)

Foulke You
11-11-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
We already tried accumulating ex-Indians. I'm not sure we should be worrying about accumulating ex-Twins.

Does it occur to you that these guys look a lot better than they actually are because we always see them beating us? (with the exception of Santana, who is really good)

LATROY HAWKINS
2002 6W-0L 2.13 E.R.A. 80.1 IP 15 BB 63 SO
2003 9W-3L 1.86 E.R.A. 77.1 IP 15 BB 75 SO

Hawkins really IS that good. He didn't put up those numbers against only the White Sox. Plus, this isn't some aging backup catcher from the Indians like Sandy. Latroy is in the prime of his career. The guy has a microscopic E.R.A., a glowing K/BB ratio, and his stuff is absolutely filthy. 95-96mph with movement and pinpoint control. He is worth every penny he'll get. You team him up with Marte in our bullpen and I defy you to find a better lefty/righty bullpen duo in the AL.

JRIG
11-11-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
LATROY HAWKINS
2002 6W-0L 2.13 E.R.A. 80.1 IP 15 BB 63 SO
2003 9W-3L 1.86 E.R.A. 77.1 IP 15 BB 75 SO

Hawkins really IS that good. He didn't put up those numbers against only the White Sox. Plus, this isn't some aging backup catcher from the Indians like Sandy. Latroy is in the prime of his career. The guy has a microscopic E.R.A., a glowing K/BB ratio, and his stuff is absolutely filthy. 95-96mph with movement and pinpoint control. He is worth every penny he'll get. You team him up with Marte in our bullpen and I defy you to find a better lefty/righty bullpen duo in the AL.

My bad, Hawkins is good too. My larger point being these guys always look great to us because they, and their teammates, are always kicking our ass.

SoxxoS
11-11-2003, 02:46 PM
I am so SICK OF THIS CRAP. We should win the Central by 15 games in 04. Rein$dorf has got to sell this team. That would make all our lives a lot less stressful. We should have Colon and Ponson in our rotation. We should sign Ivan Rodriguez.

We should be going for the jugular. We are in the worst division in baseball and still can't sniff the playoffs. All thanks to our owner who won't pony up our team salary to respectibility.

The BIGGEST lie was when Rein$y said, "I would trade all 6 NBA rings for a World Series."

As Hawk would say "That is complete BS." No you wouldn't Reinsy. You are all talk.

I wish you would wake up one morning and realize..."Hey. I am in my 60s. I am getting older. I really want to be in a World Series. It would be something I would like to do before I die. How much more money can I hoard, anyway. I have everything I could ever want. Maybe I should start by upping payroll 20 million more. What is the worst that can happen? I still have a great contract with MLB, and all my children and grand-children are all well-off. Maybe by upping payroll I can have a solid team from the start, and that $20 million I spent will be more than made up for with attendence throughout the year. Why don't I just go for it."

KingXerxes
11-11-2003, 04:12 PM
If I were betting - I'd say that the Cubs will end up with Pierzynski. From what I hear, they have several pitching prospects in the minors, and it looks as though the Twins are going to need some decent cheap pitching going into next year.

This is what bugs me about White Sox management. The Cubs are raising payroll going into next year to take a run at it, and then - in a couple of years - Sosa is going to retire and they can use that $20mm to re-tool (or tweak) as needed. It almost seems as though some sort of strategic thought is going into the operation of their organization while the White Sox sit here unable to rub two nickles together. The White Sox have absolutely got to come up with a plan that brings on some major changes - and then stick to it over the next few years. That doesn't necessarily mean rebuilding - but it does mean some sort of shock therapy.

Example - Trade Ordonez and Lee, and let Gordon, Everett and the Alomars go (they also should have told Valentin to go). Then build a bullpen with Marte as the cornerstone, and grab a couple of serviceable starters. Let Rowand either sink or swim in center, and sign some second tier free agents for second, left and right. Would you win the pennant? Who knows, but at least you would have stabilized your salary situation to allow you to concentrate on one issue at a time. Why do the White Sox always seem to be juggling about 25 balls at once? Start knocking off issues, and then find the finishing touches.

Cleveland and Kansas City are probably only going to get better over the next couple of years. Minnesota is Minnesota and Detroit will probably rot until doomsday. My point is that I don't think this is going to be a cakewalk of a division anymore. The White Sox have got to position themselves over the next few years, and that is going to take a bit of an overhaul IMHO.

Hangar18
11-11-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Mientkiewicz and Pierzynski should be gone. If they let Santana go the Sox should snatch him up

Theres a chance the CUBS will Go ahead, Open the Vault,
and Get all 3 of these guys. They will all be cubs .....
and we'll see CubFluff of biblical proportions around here

ewokpelts
11-11-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
If I were betting - I'd say that the Cubs will end up with Pierzynski. From what I hear, they have several pitching prospects in the minors, and it looks as though the Twins are going to need some decent cheap pitching going into next year.

This is what bugs me about White Sox management. The Cubs are raising payroll going into next year to take a run at it, and then - in a couple of years - Sosa is going to retire and they can use that $20mm to re-tool (or tweak) as needed. It almost seems as though some sort of strategic thought is going into the operation of their organization while the White Sox sit here unable to rub two nickles together. The White Sox have absolutely got to come up with a plan that brings on some major changes - and then stick to it over the next few years. That doesn't necessarily mean rebuilding - but it does mean some sort of shock therapy.

Example - Trade Ordonez and Lee, and let Gordon, Everett and the Alomars go (they also should have told Valentin to go). Then build a bullpen with Marte as the cornerstone, and grab a couple of serviceable starters. Let Rowand either sink or swim in center, and sign some second tier free agents for second, left and right. Would you win the pennant? Who knows, but at least you would have stabilized your salary situation to allow you to concentrate on one issue at a time. Why do the White Sox always seem to be juggling about 25 balls at once? Start knocking off issues, and then find the finishing touches.

Cleveland and Kansas City are probably only going to get better over the next couple of years. Minnesota is Minnesota and Detroit will probably rot until doomsday. My point is that I don't think this is going to be a cakewalk of a division anymore. The White Sox have got to position themselves over the next few years, and that is going to take a bit of an overhaul IMHO.

I agree with you, except aboutlee and the alomars. Maggs contract is way too much, but carlos is still a bargain. I'd only consider him tradeable if we got something REALLY GOOD. As for the alomars, both seem willing to work cheep, and robbie makes jose look good. Sandy is a decent cheep backup, and his role mentoring the pitchers and olivo is worth more than what he'll get.
Gene

voodoochile
11-11-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18

Heck, there's a chance that a huge asteroid will colide with Chicago tomorrow causing devastation of biblical proportion and eliminating the curse of the CubFluff...

Henry would probably prefer the asteroid... :)

ewokpelts
11-11-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Heck, there's a chance that a huge asteroid will colide with Chicago tomorrow causing devastation of biblical proportion and eliminating the curse of the CubFluff...

Henry would probably prefer the asteroid... :)

will wgn broadcast it? and i think the teal isnt neccesary...i think henry does prefer it
Gene

Lip Man 1
11-11-2003, 08:42 PM
The White Sox claim they don't have any money. Their owner has said on at least two published incidents since June 2002 that the Sox are a small market team in a city that has always belonged to the Cubs.

What do you expect them to do with that attitude. It's that same attitude that Bob Vanderberg was talking about in his WSI Interview. His word for it was "defeatist."

Lip

crector
11-11-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS

We should be going for the jugular. We are in the worst division in baseball and still can't sniff the playoffs. All thanks to our owner who won't pony up our team salary to respectibility.

You make it sound as if you can spend your way to success. If that were the case, the Texas Rangers would be dominating their division while Oakland would be in last place.

Its not how much you spend, its how you spend it. That's the real problem with Sox management.

Here's where to start: fire KW and replace him with someone like Larry Himes who knows what he's doing.

Daver
11-11-2003, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by crector

Here's where to start: fire KW and replace him with someone like Larry Himes who knows what he's doing.

So you want the Sox to rebuild from the ground up through the minor league system,because if you want Himes that is what you are going to get,every other GM in the game hated him in his day for being an obnoxious bastard,and refused to even deal with him.

The same goes for every agent.

RichH55
11-12-2003, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18

Plus the overpriced SS and Alou come off the books after next year....a quick 14-15 million right there