PDA

View Full Version : The ROY's are...

Viva Magglio
11-10-2003, 02:05 PM
...Angel Berroa and Dontrelle Willis.

kittle42
11-10-2003, 02:08 PM
Damn. I thought David Sanders was a lock.

Hondo
11-10-2003, 02:12 PM
That's a joke. Willis doesn't deserve ROY.

MetalliSox
11-10-2003, 02:21 PM
Just glad Matsui didn't get it. I'm one of those against these guys coming from Japan and be eligible for ROTY.

hold2dibber
11-10-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by KonerkosHip
Just glad Matsui didn't get it. I'm one of those against these guys coming from Japan and be eligible for ROTY.

I think rookies who played previously in Japan should be eligible - but I don't think Matsui deserved it. Beroa deserved it, and I'm glad (although quite surprised) he got it. I probably would have voted for Podsednik in the NL.

Huisj
11-10-2003, 02:27 PM
Brandon Webb should've gotten it. He had bad run support, so his record was only 10-9, but look at his stats: 2.84 ERA, 180 IP, 172 K's, .212 AVG, 1.15 WHIP. This guy was awesome. He just didn't get the hype from the winning streak Willis got, but he really pitched better. I'd dare say he was one of the better starters in baseball this year.

CubKilla
11-10-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I probably would have voted for Podsednik in the NL.

I thought Podsednik was a lock considering Willis was far his first-half self in the second-half.

Jjav829
11-10-2003, 02:30 PM
Willis deserves it. He helped turn that team around when he was brought up. Glad to see he got it. Also glad Matsui didn't get it. Now let's hope for Loaiza tomorrow.

CubKilla
11-10-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Now let's hope for Loaiza tomorrow.

Here, here! :gulp: AL Cy Young announced tomorrow I take it?

Jjav829
11-10-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Here, here! :gulp: AL Cy Young announced tomorrow I take it?

Yep. AL Cy Young tomorrow. Managers of the year on Wednesday. NL Cy Young Thursday. Then AL MVP next Monday and NL next Tuesday is the schedule I believe.

voodoochile
11-10-2003, 02:46 PM
Anybody got a link to the voting numbers for ROY? I'd be interested to see if Olivo picked up some votes.

Nevermind. I found it. Obviously if they only vote for 3 guys, then Olivo doesn't deserve to be on the list... :D:

santo=dorf
11-10-2003, 02:48 PM
Jody Gerut is a Sox killa in the making. :(:

StepsInSC
11-10-2003, 03:09 PM

I dont understand that argument. Wasn't the first ROY given to Jackie Robinson after he spent several years in the Negro Leagues...?

Brian26
11-10-2003, 03:41 PM
Now let's hope for Loaiza tomorrow.

Does Esty get it even though he was voted comeback player? I have a bad feeling Holladay will get the CY. Hope I'm wrong.

jeremyb1
11-10-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Huisj
Brandon Webb should've gotten it. He had bad run support, so his record was only 10-9, but look at his stats: 2.84 ERA, 180 IP, 172 K's, .212 AVG, 1.15 WHIP. This guy was awesome. He just didn't get the hype from the winning streak Willis got, but he really pitched better. I'd dare say he was one of the better starters in baseball this year.

I agree the writers really come across as a complete joke here. I guess they liked the way Dontrelle wears his hat.

bc2k
11-10-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
I dont understand that argument. Wasn't the first ROY given to Jackie Robinson after he spent several years in the Negro Leagues...?

:whoflungawholepileof ****

Matsui was never kept out of MLB because of his race.

RKMeibalane
11-10-2003, 04:17 PM
What? No Neal Cotts? How is that possible after everything he did this season?

StepsInSC
11-10-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by bc2k

I understand that, I wasn't trying to draw a point based on that. But, Robinson played in another professional league before joining the MLB...

DrCrawdad
11-10-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
...Angel Berroa and Dontrelle Willis.

'02 AL ROY: Eric Hinske.
'03 NL ROY: Dontrelle Willis.

Both are Cubbie castoffs. Have the White sox ever had former players voted ROY two years in a row?

StockdaleForVeep
11-10-2003, 09:22 PM

Theres been alot of discussion as to if matsui and players like ichiro\sasaki are\were rookies, i say yes.

Players can spend decades in the minors of MLB baseball, eventually come up and be considered rookies, why not japanese players? They are not playing against major league competition in Japan, you can consider Japan as another minor league and when they decide to coem over, like them gettin called up. Hence why i feel he should get ROY if his numbers merrit it.

Heck, i keep forgettin his name but some current Quarterback won the Heisemann trophy in college and was like in his 30's(someone has to know whom im talkin about)

nasox
11-10-2003, 09:31 PM
Managers of the year on Wednesday.

I wonder if Jerry Manuel will win...

StepsInSC
11-10-2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by StockdaleForVeep
Theres been alot of discussion as to if matsui and players like ichiro\sasaki are\were rookies, i say yes.

Players can spend decades in the minors of MLB baseball, eventually come up and be considered rookies, why not japanese players? They are not playing against major league competition in Japan, you can consider Japan as another minor league and when they decide to coem over, like them gettin called up. Hence why i feel he should get ROY if his numbers merrit it.

Heck, i keep forgettin his name but some current Quarterback won the Heisemann trophy in college and was like in his 30's(someone has to know whom im talkin about)

Chris Weinke

JRIG
11-10-2003, 10:07 PM
Brandon Webb finishing not first, not second, but third says a lot about the people voting for these awards.

greenpeach
11-10-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
I agree the writers really come across as a complete joke here. I guess they liked the way Dontrelle wears his hat.

Rush Limbaugh is going to have a field day with this selection after he gets out of rehab. :smile:

doublem23
11-11-2003, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by bc2k

And?