PDA

View Full Version : If Baseball Was Like College Football.....

duke of dorwood
11-10-2003, 12:49 PM
And had "BCS" type standings, where would the Sox be ranked in all of baseball?

Hokiesox
11-10-2003, 12:52 PM
9th, behind the Twins and out of a BCS slot, every time...

Just like my Hokies!

Hangar18
11-10-2003, 12:57 PM
I dont know, but if the Baseball were run like the English Premiership League, the Cubs wouldve been banished from the MLB years ago....and would have to have 2 TopFinish Seasons in a row, to be let back in! That wouldve been awesome.
So we wouldntve been Subject to all this CubFluff the last Few
Years! :)

kittle42
11-10-2003, 01:04 PM
117th.

Hokiesox
11-10-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I dont know, but if the Baseball were run like the English Premiership League, the Cubs wouldve been banished from the MLB years ago....and would have to have 2 TopFinish Seasons in a row, to be let back in! That wouldve been awesome.
So we wouldntve been Subject to all this CubFluff the last Few
Years! :)

We wouldn't be in top flight either. As a fan of Italian football, I doubt we'd even make Serie C after all our losing seasons.

Dadawg_77
11-10-2003, 01:29 PM
The Sox would be in the low teens, prob 12th.

Iwritecode
11-10-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
We wouldn't be in top flight either. As a fan of Italian football, I doubt we'd even make Serie C after all our losing seasons.

:?: The Sox have been consistently at or above .500 for years...

Hokiesox
11-10-2003, 02:02 PM
That's not how relegation works in european football. Basically, if you finish in the bottom 3 in one league, you get put in the next league lower the following year. And if you finish in the top 3 in one league, you get put in the next higher. And so on... we've had too many finishes in the bottom 3 of the AL, and few in the top 3.

Iwritecode
11-10-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
That's not how relegation works in european football. Basically, if you finish in the bottom 3 in one league, you get put in the next league lower the following year. And if you finish in the top 3 in one league, you get put in the next higher. And so on... we've had too many finishes in the bottom 3 of the AL, and few in the top 3.

When is the last time the Sox were one of the bottom 3 teams in the AL?

Fisk72
11-10-2003, 02:44 PM
We'd be going to the toilet bowl. Sorry, couldn't resist the over-used "bowl" joke. Seriously, though, we'd probably be going to the Motor City bowl.

voodoochile
11-10-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
When is the last time the Sox were one of the bottom 3 teams in the AL?

So the Sox are the Wisconsin Badgers of MLB?

PaleHoseGeorge
11-10-2003, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Fisk72
We'd be going to the toilet bowl. Sorry, couldn't resist the over-used "bowl" joke. Seriously, though, we'd probably be going to the Motor City bowl.

Instead of the Motor City Bowl, I would like the Sox to go to the Humanitarian Bowl. Then we could have a big argument over whether the astro-turf should have been green instead of blue!

:bandance:

Iwritecode
11-10-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
So the Sox are the Wisconsin Badgers of MLB?

Sorry, I don't follow college sports so I don't know how to take that comment.

I just think that the Sox have been for the most part, consistently mediocre. Not the best, but not the worst either...

Is there someplace that lists the Sox win/loss records year by year???

kingpin_rcs
11-10-2003, 03:09 PM
Go to www.baseball-reference.com to see the entire history of White Sox baseball (and every other team, player, manager, etc). Excellent site.

BTW. I think the ESPN "Power Alley" might serve as a sort of BCS ranking. They update it each week during the season. You can view a history to see where the Sox were at each week of the season with a little comment that explains why they are in that spot.

Lip Man 1
11-10-2003, 05:18 PM
For what it's worth, two weeks ago The Sporting News (Ken Rosenthal) had their off season / pre season "power poll." The Cubs were ranked #1, the Sox 17th. This was shortly after Bartolo and his agent said the Sox could stick their "shell game" deferred money where the sun doesn't shine.

Lip

PaleHoseGeorge
11-10-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
For what it's worth, two weeks ago The Sporting News (Ken Rosenthal) had their off season / pre season "power poll." The Cubs were ranked #1, the Sox 17th. This was shortly after Bartolo and his agent said the Sox could stick their "shell game" deferred money where the sun doesn't shine.

Lip

Hey Lip, as an Idahoan can you enlighten the rest of us how Boise State chose blue over green turf for their football field? Has there been a big uproar with BSU traditionalists who've sworn off the team because they hate blue?

Enquiring Sox Fans want to know.

:cool:

Dadawg_77
11-10-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Instead of the Motor City Bowl, I would like the Sox to go to the Humanitarian Bowl. Then we could have a big argument over whether the astro-turf should have been green instead of blue!

:bandance:

Look it isn't freakin water polo out there, it is a damn baseball game. The truff should be green and this wack out blue.

:)

Lip Man 1
11-10-2003, 10:49 PM
Ah yes the blue turf.

Here's what I know about it...

It was installed in the late 80's as a way to make Boise State unique. Basically it was used as a recruiting tool. Also it was cheaper to maintain in the harsh Idaho winter then a natural grass field (which has to have tarps and either heated by steam through pipes underneath or shot on to the turf in blowers.)

BSU fans love it, again it goes back to the "uniqueness" factor.

Idaho especially in the Summer months has a lot of gulls, evolutionary decendents of sea gulls. Very often BSU maintainance people find dead gulls on the turf. Scientists think what happens is that sometimes these gulls get confused and think what they are seeing is a lake and dive into it (I presume because they think they see food on its surface...) They slam head on into it and are killed.

Also the NCAA has actually passed a rule stating that fields must now be green colored to prevent anything like this from happening again. When BSU rips the turf out to replace it, they can replace it with new blue turf if they wish (The rule was grandfathered) however if they decide to use green that's it. They can't go back and replace that turf with blue turf say 20 years from now.

Expect to see the blue around basically forever.

Lip

xil357
11-10-2003, 10:58 PM
If the MLB was like the NCAA Football, then the Sox wouldn't have to have as many self-imposed payroll restrictions! They could pay the players whatever they wanted to field the best team! They could go out and turn all their revenues into payroll! Of course, the Sox probably would get caught and the Yankees would still be able to pay the most!

StillMissOzzie
11-11-2003, 01:04 AM
If MLB was like college football, then they'd have somebody else paying their "minor leaguers" until they're ready to play.

On top of real revenue sharing, a meaningful salary cap, another thing that NFL football has going for it is that they've got the colleges paying to train their players, while MLB, on top of all the other issues and concerns, has to pay 20 or so minor league players on each of their rookie, A, AA, & AAA teams to play catch with the 5 or so real prospects. Of course, nobody knows for sure who those prospects are...

SMO
:gulp:

JasonC23
11-11-2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

Out of curiosity, is this the same off-season power poll that had Minnesota ranked #1 last year? If so, I wouldn't worry about it. :smile:

Lip Man 1
11-11-2003, 11:58 AM
The Twins didn't finish #1 but they did win 91 games and make the playoffs didn't they?

Be afraid...be very afraid.

Lip

doublem23
11-11-2003, 01:21 PM
Oh God, we're worried about "preseason power polls" and Gammons... Ugh...

The Cubs will flop, the Sox will be fine, so everyone just shut the **** up.