PDA

View Full Version : TOP 50 Free Agents and predictions

MHOUSE
11-10-2003, 01:38 PM
From ESPN.com There's not a lot of rational for who they think will sign these guys, but it's an interesting list. Vina and Alomar are predicted to swap 2nd base for us and the Cards.

LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?page=top50freeagents)

ssang
11-10-2003, 03:25 PM
If those predictions that ESPN has made actually do come true.....we are screwed beyond belief. 1 of the top 50 free agents signs with the Sox??? And it's Fernando Vina of all people. WOW, I'm sooo excited . Plus it has the Cubs getting Ivan Rodriguez. That would be jouyous!

jeremyb1
11-10-2003, 03:55 PM
That list is a disgrace. 36 year old Tim Worrel ranked ahead of Latroy Hawkins?! They even have the stats on the page: a 28/65 bb/k ratio and a 2.87 era for Worrel compared to a 15/75 bb/k ratio and a 1.86 era for Hawkins! There's also the fact that Worrel is 6 years older! Most ridiculous of all, they have Worrel signing with the Blue Jays. Of all the teams that wouldn't pay for Worrel if he's overvalued so greatly, the Blue Jays are definitely up there.

Other glaring mistakes involve the Cubs who can supposedly add only about 10 million in payroll signing 5 of the top 50 free agents including IRod, the Dodgers who are also operating on tight purse strings signing Tejada and Lopez ranked 3rd and 10th respectively, the Twins finding the money to resign Stewart who they rank way too high at 12 and Guardado, and the A's forking over for cash for Ibanez (mediocre OBP) and Gordon who's supposedly asking for 5 million per season.

You could determine the results randomly and probably be just as successful.

hold2dibber
11-10-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
That list is a disgrace. 36 year old Tim Worrel ranked ahead of Latroy Hawkins?! They even have the stats on the page: a 28/65 bb/k ratio and a 2.87 era for Worrel compared to a 15/75 bb/k ratio and a 1.86 era for Hawkins! There's also the fact that Worrel is 6 years older! Most ridiculous of all, they have Worrel signing with the Blue Jays. Of all the teams that wouldn't pay for Worrel if he's overvalued so greatly, the Blue Jays are definitely up there.

Other glaring mistakes involve the Cubs who can supposedly add only about 10 million in payroll signing 5 of the top 50 free agents including IRod, the Dodgers who are also operating on tight purse strings signing Tejada and Lopez ranked 3rd and 10th respectively, the Twins finding the money to resign Stewart who they rank way too high at 12 and Guardado, and the A's forking over for cash for Ibanez (mediocre OBP) and Gordon who's supposedly asking for 5 million per season.

You could determine the results randomly and probably be just as successful.

You're absolutely right. How the hell does someone get paid to write garbage like that - both the rankings and the predictions are absurd.

john2499
11-10-2003, 04:21 PM
I am going to save this page. I think 90% of this will be wrong.

KingXerxes
11-10-2003, 04:23 PM
Other than informing the world on exactly who is a free agent, I don't put too much stock in that list.

jabrch
11-10-2003, 04:44 PM
What a pile of monkeycrap. Why does ESPN.COM even put garbage like that out?

The_Floridian
11-10-2003, 04:51 PM
This is a fantastic list.........FOR ME TO POOP ON!!!

I've come to expect a little better than this from the folks at ESPN. Maybe this is for ESPN The Magazine. It would fit in well with the swill they print in that steaming pile of horse manure.

JaylisJP
11-10-2003, 11:14 PM
You should expect less...ESPN is all about mainstream and making money these days. I can't stand most of the garbage they put out and the anchors for Sportscenter make me want to mute my TV...which is a lot of extra effort. I would never come to expect anything REAL about sports from ESPN again, especially after they brought in Bill Walton to continue to call NBA games...c'mon now.

Tragg
11-10-2003, 11:56 PM
Vina - .309 OBP as a lead-off hitter - sounds like our kind of player for anywhere in the lineup.

I don't look at any stuff like this for their predictions - just for the information. I like the list and the recap of the players and ignore their commentary.

Irishsox1
11-11-2003, 01:27 AM
Let me get this straight, the Cubs are going to sign 5 free agents!!! No way!! The Sox only pick up Vina!!! That list is a piece of garbage. Someone should print it out and then check it once the season starts.

RichH55
11-11-2003, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by Tragg
Vina - .309 OBP as a lead-off hitter - sounds like our kind of player for anywhere in the lineup.

I don't look at any stuff like this for their predictions - just for the information. I like the list and the recap of the players and ignore their commentary.

Plus Hamstring problems...where do I sign?!?!?!

39thandWallace
11-11-2003, 11:44 PM
If the Cubs go for Pudge than why the hell didn't they spend the money last year and get Thome? He might have made the difference.

bestkosher
11-12-2003, 02:21 AM
ugeth and i-rod...huh exactly when did the cubs start spending like the yankess

surfdudes
11-12-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1

Yes! I think if you did a survey on what percentage of these rumors actually became true it would probably be in the 5%
range..... ESPN analysts irritate me at best, especially Gammons.
Hawkins would be a good grab, and would be a nice little punch in the back of the head to MInnesota.

jabrch
11-12-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by 39thandWallace
If the Cubs go for Pudge than why the hell didn't they spend the money last year and get Thome? He might have made the difference.

FWIW they thought that Choi was the answer. He was - except the question was, who will lead the Cubs in Ks/AB in 2003?