PDA

View Full Version : ESPN says Fernando Vina

Huisj
11-10-2003, 12:49 PM
They put up their top 50 free agent list today along with their prediction of where each one will go. Vina was the only one who they said would sign with the sox. Said alomar will go to st. louis. that seems a little odd. two washed up second basemen with no power switching places.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?page=top50freeagents

crector
11-10-2003, 12:51 PM
Either Rowand or Graffanino at 2b would be better.

voodoochile
11-10-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by crector
Either Rowand or Graffanino at 2b would be better.

Rowand at 2B? Am I missing something here? Did you mean Harris?

Foulke You
11-10-2003, 01:03 PM
It seems to me that whoever compiled this list for ESPN did not do their homework. Here are some examples:

"Bartolo Colon- Yankees"

We all know that Bartolo doesn't want to go to New York and has all but scratched the Mets and Yankees of his list.

"Juan Gonzalez- Expos"

Juan Gone vetoed a trade to the Expos last season because he loves playing in Texas and didn't want to play on the turf of Montreal and Puerto Rico. Why would he suddenly go there now in free agency?

"Roberto Alomar- Cardinals"

Robbie said he is a "slam dunk" to return if good buddy Ozzie is named manager. He hasn't even filed for free agency yet. He is more than likely going to return to the Sox yet ESPN has him going to the Cards and us signing Vina.

"Vinny Castilla- Rockies, Javy Lopez- Dodgers, Greg Maddux- Cardinals, Gary Sheffield- Yankees"

Did I miss something here? Why would the Turner owned Braves suddenly gut their entire team. They may lose one or two of these guys but surely not all of them. ESPN thinks the Braves are losing their whole team apparently.

What a bunch of garbage this list is.

crector
11-10-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Rowand at 2B? Am I missing something here? Did you mean Harris?

Actually, I meant Miles. Just got my Aarons mixed up.

ShoelessFred
11-10-2003, 01:10 PM
i thought turner was no longer the principal owner of the team.

ChiWhiteSox1337
11-10-2003, 01:19 PM
yeah...AOL runs them. Turner resigned and had to give up the team. Luis Castillo and Kevin Milwood to the Red Sox. I wonder who wrote this???

I-55_Series
11-10-2003, 01:31 PM
As a person who watches the Cardinals pretty closely, I personally wouldn't mind having Vina; fun to watch, no better D, total ginder/toughguy fits club well.

Conditions of signing should take into account year off/injury, significant slump (i.e. short-term contract or some such). However, good stopgap until Harris/Miles, as some have mentioned.

I've always gotten great pleasure out of watching 'nando take it to the small bears.

Al
east Pilsen

rmusacch
11-10-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Huisj
They put up their top 50 free agent list today along with their prediction of where each one will go. Vina was the only one who they said would sign with the sox. Said alomar will go to st. louis. that seems a little odd. two washed up second basemen with no power switching places.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?page=top50freeagents

I would not put much credence into it. They also have Foulke going to the Braves. The Braves already have Smoltz and Roberto Hernandez, unless Smoltz is going back to the rotation, like they promised him at one point.

Brian26
11-10-2003, 02:02 PM
Latest rumor has Foulke to the Mets.

Rocky Soprano
11-10-2003, 02:14 PM
Pudge and Urbina to the Flubs?

ROFLMAO!

:D:

bc2k
11-10-2003, 02:28 PM
This acquisition makes sense as Vina fills the leadoff role. AND he's a gamer. I like Vina.

Huisj
11-10-2003, 02:30 PM
I'm a gamer too, but I suck. Not sucking and being a gamer aren't the same thing.

Foulke You
11-10-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
yeah...AOL runs them. Turner resigned and had to give up the team. Luis Castillo and Kevin Milwood to the Red Sox. I wonder who wrote this???

Yeah, I forgot that Turner doesn't own them but the main point of my post is that there is no way that the Braves are going to lose all four: Castilla, Lopez, Maddux, and Sheffield. The Braves aren't the type of team to cut lots of payroll and I don't see them letting half their team leave in free agency as ESPN sees it.

CubKilla
11-10-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by I-55_Series
As a person who watches the Cardinals pretty closely, I personally wouldn't mind having Vina

Me neither. I'd rather have Vina at the lead-off spot come Opening Day than an experiment in Harris that, up until this point, hasn't proven that he can consistently put the bat on the ball..... bunts, slap-hits, or otherwise. Plus, Vina is somewhat a master at drawing the walk via HBP.

bc2k
11-10-2003, 02:32 PM
I'm a gamer too, but I suck. Not sucking and being a gamer aren't the same thing.

You think Vina sucks?

CubKilla
11-10-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Brian26

Noooooooooo!!!!! Take Botch NYM..... PLEASE! :angry:

Maybe KW has told the NYM that he's not interested in the rumored Cedeno for Botch swap.

Jjav829
11-10-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Yeah, I forgot that Turner doesn't own them but the main point of my post is that there is no way that the Braves are going to lose all four: Castilla, Lopez, Maddux, and Sheffield. The Braves aren't the type of team to cut lots of payroll and I don't see them letting half their team leave in free agency as ESPN sees it.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them lose those 4. The Braves have a lot of young pitching and with Maddux on the downside of his career, I doubt they will want to shell out a lot to keep him. Lopez is going to look to capitalize on his career year. Hes 33 and his days as a catcher are numbered. They got Estrada in the Millwood trade and will probably make him their #1 catcher next year. Castilla is 36 and I believe Andy Marte isn't far from being ready. Sheffield is probably the most likely. Unless the Yankees really want him or he decides that he isn't appreciated in Atlanta, he might stay.

I think with Lopez looking to cash in and Estrada having had a good year in the minors, Lopez is gone. Castilla is probably all but gone right now. Maddux will probably leave unless he can be had cheaply in which case they might try to resign him. Sheffield is probably the most likely to stay. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see them all leave though.

RichH55
11-10-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
This acquisition makes sense as Vina fills the leadoff role. AND he's a gamer. I like Vina.

They also mentioned .309 OBP and Hamstring problems....Is this move to make Cedeno's numbers seem good?

RichH55
11-10-2003, 02:50 PM

So Vina is your kind of player? Just think of the marketing plan!
If you are a "gamer" and a "grinder" --> Just bring a glove to the game and maybe you can play 2B for your Chicago White Sox!!

I think Plan B is getting a guy who ranks above "terrible" on the option list....Cmon Plan B

RichH55
11-10-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Me neither. I'd rather have Vina at the lead-off spot come Opening Day than an experiment in Harris that, up until this point, hasn't proven that he can consistently put the bat on the ball..... bunts, slap-hits, or otherwise. Plus, Vina is somewhat a master at drawing the walk via HBP.

Unless Vina gets hit by roughly 155 pitches next year, He still isn't a good option at leading off....not to mention for leading off he would need those HBPs to be later in the at bat as well

RichH55
11-10-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
You think Vina sucks?

There is a difference between thinking and knowing

poorme
11-10-2003, 03:09 PM
Vina, Alomar, and Harris all suck. The question is who is least sucky?

RichH55
11-10-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by poorme
Vina, Alomar, and Harris all suck. The question is who is least sucky?

Least Sucky for the Least money...and throw in highest OBP with the least Hamstring problems

Foulke You
11-10-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them lose those 4. The Braves have a lot of young pitching and with Maddux on the downside of his career, I doubt they will want to shell out a lot to keep him. Lopez is going to look to capitalize on his career year. Hes 33 and his days as a catcher are numbered. They got Estrada in the Millwood trade and will probably make him their #1 catcher next year. Castilla is 36 and I believe Andy Marte isn't far from being ready. Sheffield is probably the most likely. Unless the Yankees really want him or he decides that he isn't appreciated in Atlanta, he might stay.

I think with Lopez looking to cash in and Estrada having had a good year in the minors, Lopez is gone. Castilla is probably all but gone right now. Maddux will probably leave unless he can be had cheaply in which case they might try to resign him. Sheffield is probably the most likely to stay. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see them all leave though.

I still disagree. I believe they will lose two of these guys but not all four. Sheffield will likely stay in Atlanta. Also, every year there is talk that Maddux will sign with *insert name of team here* and he always re-ups for a 1 year deal with the Braves. The Braves usually aren't shy about spending money and they have 13 straight division titles that reflect that. No way they let all four of these guys walk in my opinion.

Brian26
11-10-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them lose those 4.

One of my sources out in California who follows the Giants closely says both Javy Lopez and Maddux will sign with SF this winter.

rmusacch
11-10-2003, 03:53 PM
One of my sources out in California who follows the Giants closely says both Javy Lopez and Maddux will sign with SF this winter.

If Maddux leaves the Braves, I think he is going to San Diego or Arizona.

Brian26
11-10-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
If Maddux leaves the Braves, I think he is going to San Diego or Arizona.

Padres would be a good fit for him, too. Definitely expect to see him somewhere out west next year.

JasonC23
11-10-2003, 05:20 PM
Vina's OBP (the most important stat for a leadoff hitter) the last 4 years...

2000: .380
2001: .357
2002: .333
2003: .309

No thanks.

RedPinStripes
11-10-2003, 05:35 PM
UMMMMMMMMM............What's wrong with Robby Almomar? I'd say he's better then Vina :?:

nasox
11-10-2003, 05:54 PM

HAHAHAHAHA LMAO
The self diss is classic

gosox41
11-10-2003, 07:34 PM

If that happens, the Mets probably won't want Koch. So basically this Keith Foulke trade can continue to haunt us in yet another way.

Nice move Kenny

Bob

StepsInSC
11-10-2003, 08:57 PM
That same article has Foulke going to the Braves. I havn't heard anything about Smoltz though...he wasn't too healthy but he sure was dominant still.

Daver
11-10-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
That same article has Foulke going to the Braves. I havn't heard anything about Smoltz though...he wasn't too healthy but he sure was dominant still.

Smoltz will be returning to the Braves,he is on record saying that.

Lip Man 1
11-10-2003, 11:37 PM
Nobody knows whats going to happen...on ESPN News today they had one of their baseball reporters say the Foulke is going back to the A's and that Colon and Pettitte are going to the Yankes. Pudge Rodriguez is supposedly going to Baltimore and Lopez to Florida.

They also said they don't expect ANY free agent signings until late December when players are starting to get nervous about signing and their prices come down (Remember Kenny Williams' comments about this being a "long" off season...)

The only thing that I think anybody can promise is that the top players won't be coming to the South Side of Chicago.

Lip

RichH55
11-11-2003, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
If that happens, the Mets probably won't want Koch. So basically this Keith Foulke trade can continue to haunt us in yet another way.

Nice move Kenny

Bob

Dream: Mets sign Colon early, deal for Koch(No cedeno)