PDA

View Full Version : Seeing as we lost the Olympics...

doublem23
11-10-2003, 09:34 AM
I guess we need to start a new tournament... (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20031108&content_id=601136&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)

Dadawg_77
11-10-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
I guess we need to start a new tournament... (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20031108&content_id=601136&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)

The world cup of baseball is a great idea. Maybe Bud finally got something right.

SoxEd
11-10-2003, 03:15 PM
I'd be very interested in a BWC, even though Team GB are no good (what a surprise).

It would heighten the profile of the sport in Europe, and maybe I'd then be able to go see the game without having to travel to SE England.

I paricularly like the suggested year - 2005.
It would fall between the 2004 European Soccer Champoionships and the 2006 Soccer World Cup.

I'm not so sure about the spring time though - it may clash with the Six Nations Rugby (only sport where England get to play against Scotland, Wales & Ireland, plus France, and Italy).

Hokiesox
11-10-2003, 04:02 PM
If you think baseball will ever gain more interest in Europe than we have for soccer over here, can I get whatever it is you've got? you must be seeing some weird things!

SoxEd
11-10-2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
If you think baseball will ever gain more interest in Europe than we have for soccer over here, can I get whatever it is you've got? you must be seeing some weird things!

I dunno about the rest of Europe, but Channel Five (one of the free TV stations that everyone here can get) is now showing two live games a week, and interest is growing (admittedly mainly among students and the jobless at the moment).

The quality newspapers have now started to cover it (mostly just publishing scores, but e.g. previews of League & World Series), and this year, for I think the first time, the BBC broadcast the World Series games live on its sport radio station.

I don't know which countries play the most in Europe, but I do know that the Dutch are apparently usually the best team on this side of the pond.