PDA

View Full Version : Unofficial US Cell renderings

Frank the Tank
11-10-2003, 03:46 AM
I'm not sure if these pics have already been posted on this site or not, but I think there pretty interesting. They were taken from ballparksofbaseball.com. They are an artist's rendering of what the final product might look like.

http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/al/comiskey752.jpg

Picture 2

http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/al/comiskey753.jpg

If the Cell looks anything like this in 2005, I'll be very happy. If Stage 5 of the renovation project includes green seats, I think we'll finally have a new ballpark we can warm up to.

bestkosher
11-10-2003, 09:04 AM
I hear a lot of fans saying green green green. I know we all miss old comiskey. But gren is not essential. I would be happy with seats with more padding and more cupholders. Isn't comfort morea need than color. H*** the seats could be gold and red, as long as the team is winning and i can sit comfortably, who gives a ****.

jabrch
11-10-2003, 09:46 AM
are a large reason why fans are not coming out to the park

Frank the Tank
11-10-2003, 09:55 AM
The seats don't really have to be green, just a color that is a lot less loud. The bright blue seats are an eye sore and just look plain terrible. If the architects were going to deviate from the norm, why didn't they install black seats? I really wouldn't mind seeing a dark blue like the seats at the New Soldier for example. However, all the recent construction has a green color pattern, so green looks like the future.

dickallen15
11-10-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Frank the Tank
The seats don't really have to be green, just a color that is a lot less loud. The bright blue seats are an eye sore and just look plain terrible. If the architects were going to deviate from the norm, why didn't they install black seats? I really wouldn't mind seeing a dark blue like the seats at the New Soldier for example. However, all the recent construction has a green color pattern, so green looks like the future.

On a hot summer day, you would not be able to sit in a black or dark blue plastic seat. Even the blue one's get real hot. If people went to the game and sat in the seats, it would make little difference what color the seats were.

CHISOXFAN13
11-10-2003, 10:22 AM
Black seats in the summer=NO FUN.

MarqSox
11-10-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
Black seats in the summer=NO FUN.
Silver/gray seats would be pretty sweet though.

Hangar18
11-10-2003, 12:40 PM
One thing about the First Rendering, of the RF "Home Run Porch".
I HOPE THEY DONT PUT THOSE GIANT BILLBOARDS ON TOP of the UpperDeck like theyre showing in that Drawing. That Looks Horrible. Can You imagine that? People would be able to see the Billboards from Downtown Chicago, as it would Completely Dwarf the whole rest of the park. It isnt even to Scale to its surroundings ...... I really hope they dont put that up there.

SaltyPretzel
11-10-2003, 12:45 PM
Considering that they need lights, I doubt they would put ads up there.

ShoelessFred
11-10-2003, 12:50 PM
i doubt these are close to being official. look at the scoreboard. it's the old scoreboard, not the new one with the video screen in the middle.

Iwritecode
11-10-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by ShoelessFred
i doubt these are close to being official. look at the scoreboard. it's the old scoreboard, not the new one with the video screen in the middle.

These pictures have been around since the beginning of LAST season...

Irishlawyer
11-10-2003, 03:04 PM
I am a proponent of green seats only to have a "home" feel (as they were green in old Comiskey). I would also go for silver/gray.

What I do not like is the blue (dare I say cubbie blue) that is all too prevalent in the stadium. They have done an ok job of getting rid of some of it, but some (too much) is still left. It should be stamped out. We are not the rangers, blue jays or cubs.... use our colors.

SoxEd
11-10-2003, 03:08 PM
On the subjetc of seat colour, most soccer teams in the UK's big leagues have the name of the team (or its nick name) spelled out in the stadium by changing the colour of some of the seats.

Do any Baseball stadia have seats that do this, or is it just soccer stadia?

Whilst black seats are obviously uncomfotable in the summer, how about silver being the colour of most of the seats, but with some black ones to spell out 'Sox' or 'White Sox' or 'Chicago White Sox', or 'GO SOX'?

Then again, if the powers-that-be got wind of the idea, the black seats would undoubtedly spell out 'US Cellular Telecom', or some such.

Whaddy'all think?

Hangar18
11-10-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by SoxEd
On the subjetc of seat colour, most soccer teams in the UK's big leagues have the name of the team (or its nick name) spelled out in the stadium by changing the colour of some of the seats.

Whilst black seats are obviously uncomfotable in the summer, how about silver being the colour of most of the seats, but with some black ones to spell out 'Sox' or 'White Sox' or 'Chicago White Sox', or 'GO SOX'?

Then again, if the powers-that-be got wind of the idea, the black seats would undoubtedly spell out 'US Cellular Telecom', or some such.

Whaddy'all think?

That could be Interesting .......

Foulke You
11-10-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
These pictures have been around since the beginning of LAST season...

Yeah, these are the old shots that used to be up at HKS architecture's website in the offseason of 2001. The newer renderings that Hangar posted don't have those billboards above the right field porch.

The billboards would indeed look odd there and as someone else pointed out where would they put the light towers in RF? If they put the lights on top of billboards that stood ABOVE the HR porch, the light towers would scrape the bottom of planes coming in for a landing at Midway Airport. :D:

nasox
11-10-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by SoxEd

Whaddy'all think?

I know at Lincoln Financial Field in Philladelphia where the Eagles play and at Invesco Field in Denver for the Broncos they have two seat colors that are interwoven and create the logo for the Eagles and Broncos and in Philly, Lincoln Financial COrp. THis looks really cool and there is a pic of LIF here:
LIF picture (http://www.thesportsroadtrip.com/philadelphiaphotos1.html)
Pic is 7 from top.

This might look cool in the cell but the cubune would say that the stadium is to corporate if would put these in but I for one think this would be pretty cool.
As long as I have the link posted, check this site out. Its about two guys who visited every major sporting venue (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL) within a span of four years and ranked them by sport using stars. Cool site, I must say.

Pertaining to the thread, though, the Sox in the seatback would be cool. And gray or silver (although silver would kinda sparkle weirdly) would look sweet, especially in the color scheme they have now. It would be the only one like it in the MLB.

Frank the Tank
11-10-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Yeah, these are the old shots that used to be up at HKS architecture's website in the offseason of 2001. The newer renderings that Hangar posted don't have those billboards above the right field porch.

The billboards would indeed look odd there and as someone else pointed out where would they put the light towers in RF? If they put the lights on top of billboards that stood ABOVE the HR porch, the light towers would scrape the bottom of planes coming in for a landing at Midway Airport. :D:

Do you know the URL to the newere renderings?

Foulke You
11-10-2003, 06:18 PM
Ask and ye shall receive. Pics courtesy of Hangar18:

New Comiskey Renderings (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25921)

RedPinStripes
11-10-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
One thing about the First Rendering, of the RF "Home Run Porch".
I HOPE THEY DONT PUT THOSE GIANT BILLBOARDS ON TOP of the UpperDeck like theyre showing in that Drawing. That Looks Horrible. Can You imagine that? People would be able to see the Billboards from Downtown Chicago, as it would Completely Dwarf the whole rest of the park. It isnt even to Scale to its surroundings ...... I really hope they dont put that up there.

Oh you know the bilboards are coming! You cant walk 5 feet in that park without seeing an advertisement or someone trying to sell you a damn credit card. This ball park wouldnt be here if the state didnt pay for it. The renovations to fix the ****ty design would not be happening if US Cellular didnt pay for it. And whover offeres the biggest buck will be allowed to put a ****ing house on top of the HR porcg if the price is right. I'll bet there will be huge advertising on the hr porch.

Sarah
11-10-2003, 06:56 PM
I like the idea of green seats, but isn't it a bit of a moot point if the Sox are winning and putting people in the seats?

-Sarah-

Daver
11-10-2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Sarah
I like the idea of green seats, but isn't it a bit of a moot point if the Sox are winning and putting people in the seats?

-Sarah-

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

Dadawg_77
11-10-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Oh you know the bilboards are coming! You cant walk 5 feet in that park without seeing an advertisement or someone trying to sell you a damn credit card. This ball park wouldnt be here if the state didnt pay for it. The renovations to fix the ****ty design would not be happening if US Cellular didnt pay for it. And whover offeres the biggest buck will be allowed to put a ****ing house on top of the HR porcg if the price is right. I'll bet there will be huge advertising on the hr porch.

Actually what could be a cool add, is a roof shot one. Like Mastercard had for the HR derby and All Star game. Hit this spot and one lucky fan wins a 100 Gs or somthing.

soxnut
11-11-2003, 12:27 AM

I'm sure it the only park that has ads in it . Billboards have been part of the ballpark landscape for a long time. Chek out pictures of the Baker Bowl, Fenway form the 40's, Ebbetts Field and basically every ballpark. So what.........

Brian26
11-11-2003, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by soxnut
I'm sure it the only park that has ads in it . Billboards have been part of the ballpark landscape for a long time. Chek out pictures of the Baker Bowl, Fenway form the 40's, Ebbetts Field and basically every ballpark. So what.........

Exactly. Removing advertising on outfield fences and inside the park actually happened in the early 1970's and continued through to the early 90s. Until the 70's it was part of the game. Watch any of the old "When It Was A Game" videos.

Brian26
11-11-2003, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by nasox
I know at Lincoln Financial Field in Philladelphia where the Eagles play and at Invesco Field in Denver for the Broncos...

Football stadiums don't need to be unique and quirky. Football fields are always the same shape, and really every football stadium in America could be the same size and look exactly the same. Who cares about them. Baseball invites unique architectural designs though.

joepoe
11-11-2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by bestkosher
I hear a lot of fans saying green green green. I know we all miss old comiskey. But gren is not essential. I would be happy with seats with more padding and more cupholders. Isn't comfort morea need than color. H*** the seats could be gold and red, as long as the team is winning and i can sit comfortably, who gives a ****.

If you will recall, many seats in old Comisk were kind of a puke green...Nothing wrong with blue if there are fannys in them.

GoSox2K3
11-11-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Sarah

-Sarah-

Sarah,
You are absolutely right.

Unfortunately, with Reinsdorf's payroll cap and the way this team mismanages talent, we might not get to see that "Sox are winning and putting people in the seats" scenario anytime soon. :(:

RedPinStripes
11-11-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by soxnut

Advertising is one thing, but walking bilboards and not being able to look anywhere without an advertisement makes me sick after a while.

What does jerry calll that dumb ass electronic board that goes all the way around the infield now? Notice how the retired numbers are down so the electronic advertisements could go up?

Frank the Tank
11-12-2003, 12:44 AM
I would rather watch a baseball game surrounded by advertisements than pay 20% more for my already over-priced ticket.

nasox
11-12-2003, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
Football stadiums don't need to be unique and quirky. Football fields are always the same shape, and really every football stadium in America could be the same size and look exactly the same. Who cares about them. Baseball invites unique architectural designs though.

New Soldier is quarky and no matter how ugly it looks from the west, from the east it is an architectural beauty. And as far as a "unique architectural design" is concerned, two toning the seats and working a logo into the seats would be cool.

soxnut
11-12-2003, 03:05 AM
Advertising is one thing, but walking bilboards and not being able to look anywhere without an advertisement makes me sick after a while.

What does jerry calll that dumb ass electronic board that goes all the way around the infield now? Notice how the retired numbers are down so the electronic advertisements could go up?

The LED boards on the upper facade? Yes they have ads on them, but they also use them for player intros when the Sox come up to bat. And before and after the game they have the spinning, rolling pinwheels on there--that looks really cool.

As for the retired numbers, they were NEVER on the upper facade. They were on the club level facade. The numbers were taken down because of the All-Star Game. Pinwheel decor went up in it's place. I believe it was reported in the paper that the numbers will go back up. It would be silly if they didn't considering how all of the concession stands are named after Sox players, and the club level concourse has historical photos of Sox players and such. And I hope they present the retired numbers differently when they do put them back up. I didn't care for the way they did it anyway.

Hangar18
11-12-2003, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by Frank the Tank
I would rather watch a baseball game surrounded by advertisements than pay 20% more for my already over-priced ticket.

Yeah.....They'll just Surround Us with Advertisements ...
THEN raise ticket prices anyway