PDA

View Full Version : NEW Renovation Pics Sat 11/8/03

Brian26
11-08-2003, 02:34 PM
Had some extra time this morning after running errands around town, so I cruised by the Cell to take some shots with my new digital camera. Some of these are pretty cool. I'm not sure what the proper ettiquette is for posting these. I'll post everything in this thread first and then try to move it over to the photo gallery too for future viewing (hope that works). By the way, it was freezing down there.

Brian26
11-08-2003, 02:36 PM
From the north...

Brian26
11-08-2003, 02:37 PM
Also from the north...

Brian26
11-08-2003, 02:40 PM
The cigarette butt is a nice touch.

Brian26
11-08-2003, 02:42 PM
Notice part of the facade of the stadium is also coming down...
This is really making a huge difference.

Brian26
11-08-2003, 02:45 PM
Just to the left of the front entrace...

soxnut
11-08-2003, 02:45 PM
Hey Brian I was down there too. I took pictures as well, but I am tired of having to resize everything just to fit it on here. It really looks cool. I noticed today that they started cutting off the top of the supports as well as finishing taking of the the rows of seats and what's left of the roof.

As I was driving down there today, I come from the south on 94, I couldn't see any hints of the ballpark until I got pretty close. I used to be able to see the blue roof from way far back.

I hope that they go with the light standards similar to the old park. It's such a cool feeling of anticipation, seeing a little bit of the ballpark from far away while you're driving down to see a game. It was that way for me in the old park--seeing the lights standards, and in the new park when I could see the blue roof(even though I never really liked the color of it). :smile:

Brian26
11-08-2003, 02:47 PM
A neat autumn pic. Man it was cold.

Brian26
11-08-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
Hey Brian I was down there too. I took pictures as well, but I am tired of having to resize everything just to fit it on here. It really looks cool. I noticed today that they started cutting off the top of the supports as well as finishing taking of the the rows of seats and what's left of the roof.

Resizing the pics is a bit of a pain, but it's going pretty fast. I have about 20 more pics to post..

I have a pic of at least one of the supports after it was cut/shaved off. It gives you a nice idea of what it's going to look like. Stay tuned here...

Brian26
11-08-2003, 02:51 PM
The old lights. Are these waiting to be hauled off as garbage, or will they be placed back on the new roof? Time will tell.

Brian26
11-08-2003, 02:54 PM
Ok, here's a key pic. Check out the upper deck supports. There are two visible ones already chopped off. Now you can get a feel for what they're going to do with the upper deck from there. The arched windows will probably sit upon those supports just above.

Brian26
11-08-2003, 02:55 PM
LOL. I remembered the camera had a zoom function. Heh heh. This is a bit easier to see. Check out the sawed off supports on the upper deck...

soxnut
11-08-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
The old lights. Are these waiting to be hauled off as garbage, or will they be placed back on the new roof? Time will tell.

Maybe they can use the bulbs, but toss the structure........
I doubt JR would throw away perfectly good light bulbs........ :o: :D: :smile:

Brian26
11-08-2003, 02:57 PM
A cool scaffolding pic along the 35th Street side.

Brian26
11-08-2003, 02:58 PM
Autumn along 35th Street. Not a ticket scalper to be seen.

Brian26
11-08-2003, 03:00 PM
Moving towards the leftfield corner now. Part of the roof and top 10 rows that haven't been removed yet.

Brian26
11-08-2003, 03:02 PM
My favorite shot of the morning. An action shot. I won't be selling this piece of roof on Ebay though.

Brian26
11-08-2003, 03:03 PM
South side of 35th Street completely fenced off for cranes and other equipment.

Brian26
11-08-2003, 03:04 PM
Left field corner. Notice the holes for the cranes to remove the concrete.

Brian26
11-08-2003, 03:06 PM
Another shot towards the leftfield corner.

By the way, the parking lot on the firstbase side was closed off. That's why most of these shots are coming from the north.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-08-2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
I doubt JR would throw away perfectly good light bulbs........ :o: :D: :smile:

Maybe he'll use them to light up his Hanukkah bush? :D:

:reinsy
"I'll need 'em. Nobody has a bigger Hanukkah bush than me!"

Brian26
11-08-2003, 03:07 PM
MERCY! Somebody get me a hot chocolate!

ChiWhiteSox1337
11-08-2003, 03:11 PM
nice pics! i really appreciate being able to see all these wonderful pics

Brian26
11-08-2003, 03:12 PM
A shot from behind centerfield looking towards the rightfield corner.

soxnut
11-08-2003, 03:13 PM
Brian, we were there pretty much at the same time

Brian26
11-08-2003, 03:13 PM
A shot from the south parking lot...

Brian26
11-08-2003, 03:15 PM
A shot looking at the Stadium Club entrance in the south lot...

ListGod
11-08-2003, 03:52 PM
Thanks for taking these great shots, Brian. Amazing stuff. This transforms the place far more than I could have imagined. Inside and out.

Now, if they could just fix that awful lower deck and get some decent food! :D:

kingpin_rcs
11-08-2003, 03:54 PM
Thank you very very much for posting these pictures.

I think the Sox should be commended for responding to the desires of the fans in such a dramatic way. I can't wait to see the finished product.

I sure don't miss the winters in Chicago (but I do miss the Pizza!)

kraut83
11-08-2003, 04:08 PM
Thanks for your work Brian! I appreciate the updates. Even though I'm skeptical about the product on the field, I'm really looking forward to coming back for opening day!

voodoochile
11-08-2003, 04:29 PM
Brian, can you please post future updates to the WSI image gallary on the main page and then just post a link to the gallary when you update it. Thanks.

Brian26
11-08-2003, 05:01 PM
Voodoo-

Can you send me instructions on how to post to the gallery? When I click on the WSI photo gallery, I don't see a link for posting or adding pics. I'm still thawing my head out, so maybe I'm missing the obvious here.

voodoochile
11-08-2003, 05:15 PM
Voodoo-

Can you send me instructions on how to post to the gallery? When I click on the WSI photo gallery, I don't see a link for posting or adding pics. I'm still thawing my head out, so maybe I'm missing the obvious here.

Go to the appropriate place (in your case, New Comiskey photos) and then click the "upload" button in the upper right hand corner of the page. Then just follow the basic instructions that are there. Similar to uploading a picture to the message boards.

A.T. Money
11-08-2003, 05:17 PM
Great pictures.

Steve Bartman
11-08-2003, 05:31 PM
Thanks a lot Brian!!!!!!! I hope they adjust the pitch of the upper deck and not just keep it as it is.

nasox
11-08-2003, 06:48 PM
Great shots but,

Originally posted by ListGod
Now, if they could just fix that awful lower deck and get some decent food! :D:

The lower deck is one of the best in baseball and the food is THE best in all of baseball.

Brian26
11-08-2003, 07:24 PM
FYI-

I uploaded all of the new pics to the WSI Photo Gallery. The pics are allowed to be much larger over there, so give them a look if you get a chance. The detail on some of the upper deck shots is amazing. My vision is getting worse in my old age, so some of the photos are more clear through the camera than what I could see with naturally with my eyes.

Daver
11-08-2003, 07:32 PM
FYI-

I uploaded all of the new pics to the WSI Photo Gallery. The pics are allowed to be much larger over there

That was one of the reasons for doing the work required to add that photo gallery.

Who loves ya Sox fans. :bandance:

Brian26
11-08-2003, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by nasox
Great shots but,

The lower deck is one of the best in baseball and the food is THE best in all of baseball.

I'd love to know a baseball venue that has better polish or churros than the Cell.

Brian26
11-08-2003, 10:25 PM
Or hotter ass in the bullpen bar.

Kroozah
11-08-2003, 11:34 PM
Nice pictures there and thank you for taking the time to go out in the cold and take them.

I haven't been back to Chicago since 1988, and looking at the surrounding of the park, it doesn't even look like the same place as I remember it.

I don't know seeing home place in a parking lot, saddening.

Brian26
11-08-2003, 11:39 PM
It was fun going down there. I live in River North, so it's only a 5-minute car ride down to the Cell. I'll try to go down there every couple of weeks to keep you updated.

A.T. Money
11-09-2003, 03:37 AM
Or hotter ass in the bullpen bar.

Here here. :D:

joepoe
11-09-2003, 11:04 AM
What will be the capacity for the 2004 season? About 5,000 less?

CubKilla
11-09-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by joepoe
What will be the capacity for the 2004 season? About 5,000 less?

I heard about 8,000.

RedPinStripes
11-09-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
I heard about 8,000.

I'm sure Uncle Jerry will lose a ton of money since no one will sit in those 8,000 seats.

CubKilla
11-09-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
I'm sure Uncle Jerry will lose a ton of money since no one will sit in those 8,000 seats.

I can appreciate the sarcasm..... but doubtful. I'm hearing that there will be a ticket price increase for the '04 season. It probably won't be because JR raised the ceiling for KW to 70-80 million, but rather that USCF will have 8,000 less used every game seats.

RedPinStripes
11-09-2003, 02:57 PM
either that HR porch is going up before spring or it's going up after 04. Jerry is not just gonna throw away 8,000 seats and if there's a UD like Old Comiskey, drunks like us will sit up there just for the memories and Jerry knows it. :)

Brian26
11-09-2003, 02:59 PM
I can appreciate the sarcasm..... but doubtful. I'm hearing that there will be a ticket price increase for the '04 season. It probably won't be because JR raised the ceiling for KW to 70-80 million, but rather that USCF will have 8,000 less used every game seats.

The logic behind that makes no sense. Those top 8,000 seats were hardly used, except for being filled for the 3 Cubs games every year. Sure, random tickets were sold up there for single games, but now people will just have to buy those tickets at a lower level (which is already a higher price anyway, and there are always upper deck box seats available anyway). There shouldn't be any need to raise ticket prices. Except for the lost revenue from the Cubs series and maybe a single game against the Yankees, those seats were generating little revenue to begin with.

RedPinStripes
11-09-2003, 03:06 PM
The logic behind that makes no sense. Those top 8,000 seats were hardly used, except for being filled for the 3 Cubs games every year. Sure, random tickets were sold up there for single games, but now people will just have to buy those tickets at a lower level (which is already a higher price anyway, and there are always upper deck box seats available anyway). There shouldn't be any need to raise ticket prices. Except for the lost revenue from the Cubs series and maybe a single game against the Yankees, those seats were generating little revenue to begin with.

say the Sox sold out 5 games. Or they had 35,000 for 10-15 games. That's a lot of money to throw away if you have room for 44,000 but only allow 38,000. Parking + beer + food + ticket price. x 8000. Wouldnt you like to have that a few times a year ?

I'll bet those seats will be replaced.

Brian26
11-09-2003, 03:13 PM
say the Sox sold out 5 games. Or they had 35,000 for 10-15 games. That's a lot of money to throw away if you have room for 44,000 but only allow 38,000. Parking + beer + food + ticket price. x 8000. Wouldnt you like to have that a few times a year ?

Ok, let's take that added revenue for the 5 sellouts a year that would generate 8,000 more fans. After adding concessions and parking to the upperdeck general admission price, subtract the extra overhead for ushers, concession workers, security, etc involved with having 8,000 more people in the park. Take that net revenue, and spread it out over the other 76 home games per year, over every seat sold (assume attendance is 2 million). Without doing the numbers here (because none of us know the exact numbers), my guess is that that extra net revenue from those 5 games wouldn't equal more than a 25 cent increase on ticket prices for individual seats. And that's a a maximum. So, my point is that Reinsdorf shouldn't use this as an excuse to raise all ticket prices by a couple of bucks.

doublem23
11-09-2003, 04:36 PM

I guess I have to raise ticket prices!

GoSox2K3
11-09-2003, 05:29 PM

I think the number of seats removed from the upper deck has been reported as 6,600. I have also read that the seating capacity for next year will be about 41,000.

My guess is that the Sox will get that 6600 in lost seating capacity back in 2005 when they complete the much-rumored right-field "home run porch".

RedPinStripes
11-10-2003, 12:16 AM
Ok, let's take that added revenue for the 5 sellouts a year that would generate 8,000 more fans. After adding concessions and parking to the upperdeck general admission price, subtract the extra overhead for ushers, concession workers, security, etc involved with having 8,000 more people in the park. Take that net revenue, and spread it out over the other 76 home games per year, over every seat sold (assume attendance is 2 million). Without doing the numbers here (because none of us know the exact numbers), my guess is that that extra net revenue from those 5 games wouldn't equal more than a 25 cent increase on ticket prices for individual seats. And that's a a maximum. So, my point is that Reinsdorf shouldn't use this as an excuse to raise all ticket prices by a couple of bucks.

He actullay thinks he did the fans a favor by not raising prices for a few years. Well fans like me remember when that half finished park opened and the bleacher seats were 8.00. So he kept the prices down a few years after he pulled the white flag trade , but only to make up for it by jacking them up in the future. I'll never have a 1/4 of the money JR has and he is obviously a much better business man then me, but if i'm having attendance problems and the fans know i just got 68 mill from US Cellular, the last thing i'd want to do to attract fans to the park is jack up ticket preices.

"Just drive your dump truck RPS, I'll think about cashing in from now on ok?"

Brian26
11-10-2003, 05:20 PM
He actullay thinks he did the fans a favor by not raising prices for a few years. Well fans like me remember when that half finished park opened and the bleacher seats were 8.00.

Were bleachers really only 8 bucks a piece back in '91? Wow. Times have changed.

RedPinStripes
11-10-2003, 05:30 PM
Were bleachers really only 8 bucks a piece back in '91? Wow. Times have changed.

Yup. Then Jerry found out that those were one of the best and most fun seats in the house.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-10-2003, 05:33 PM

Actually, bleacher seats were only $6 back in '91.

Check it out on WSI's main page by following the Comiskey's prices (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=3&id=2052) link.

You should visit the main page once in awhile. I hear there is some pretty good stuff there. :smile: See if you can find the hot dog swinging a baseball bat.

:)

RedPinStripes
11-10-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Check it out on WSI's main page by following the Comiskey's prices (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=3&id=2052) link.

You should visit the main page once in awhile. I hear there is some pretty good stuff there. :smile: See if you can find the hot dog swinging a baseball bat.

6.00? Damn my memory sucks. I do remember bleacher seats at 5.00 in 90' . The last year of the best ball park in this town.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-10-2003, 05:41 PM
6.00? Damn my memory sucks. I do remember bleacher seats at 5.00 in 90' . The last year of the best ball park in this town.

Well you nailed one point square on the head. JR figured out that the bleachers were some of the best seats in the house and has jacked the prices of those seats more than any other in the ballpark.

Gee what a surprise that JR's greed would be so blatantly obvious.

:cool:

nasox
11-10-2003, 05:58 PM
6 washingtons???? Man, the 90s really have changed everyone. It really wasnt the 70s on that changed baseball and pro sports. It was the ******* 90s. Damn, this makes me pissed.

roofshot87
11-10-2003, 07:34 PM
. It probably won't be because JR raised the ceiling for KW to 70-80 million, used every game seats.

Have I been living in a hole? When did JR raise the ceiling? I thought payroll was hovering around 60 million something.

bouldersox
11-10-2003, 07:57 PM
fantastic pix. thank you so much for posting them Brian!!!

the whitesox.com site has the internal view.

can somebody who can draw give us an idea of what the final product will look like on opening day? will they tilt the upper deck back or leave it at the same steepness? will they put a roof over it? anybody know ... who can also draw?

Brian26
11-10-2003, 08:04 PM
You should visit the main page once in awhile. I hear there is some pretty good stuff there.

Hey now, I was actually looking at it yesterday. Love the expanded section on Old Comiskey. Lip's Koosman interview was fantastic as well. There's a wealth of information over there...you could spend hours looking at it all.

I'll look for the swingin' hot dog next time I have a chance.

Brian26
11-10-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by bouldersox
can somebody who can draw give us an idea of what the final product will look like on opening day? will they tilt the upper deck back or leave it at the same steepness? will they put a roof over it? anybody know ... who can also draw?

The steepness of the upper deck cannot be altered. The bottom portion of the upper deck will remain intact, basically unchanged. What they hope to accomplish with this winter's renovations is twofold. The loss of the top 10 rows (+/-) will present a more intimate setting. It won't seem like a mountain of stairs have to be climbed to get to the top row. Secondly, the new roof, by all indications, will overhang to the front row of the upper deck. Having a roof above the upper deck will eliminate the vertigo effect most people have being up there. Instead of looking straight up to open sky, a roof will present a safer point of reference.

roofshot87
11-10-2003, 08:20 PM
Sorry to veer off topic again, but I am still very intrigued as to what Brain26 said about a halfway generous payroll.

Brian26
11-10-2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by roofshot87
Sorry to veer off topic again, but I am still very intrigued as to what Brain said about a halfway generous payroll.

Who is Brain? Is Bobby Heenan on WSI now?
:D:

MisterB
11-10-2003, 08:38 PM
Who is Brain?

http://www.jwwaterhouse.com/pntb/the_brain_t.gif
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"

joepoe
11-10-2003, 10:45 PM

George, you have everything on The Setup!