PDA

View Full Version : How about we actually play some ball...

Iguana775
11-08-2003, 02:03 PM
before we hang up Ozzie. Damn, he hasnt even managed a spring game yet. Let's see what he has to offer in an actual season and then hang him.

soxnut
11-08-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775
before we hang up Ozzie. Damn, he hasnt even managed a spring game yet. Let's see what he has to offer in an actual season and then hang him.

You're right Iguana. I just love the negativity around here. We have so many experts on this board. I mean, real baseball people that know what they're talking about .

I don't know why I bother coming here anymore. If my fandom had to be based on how I felt about some fans...I wouldn't be a Sox fan. Good thing it's not.

I guess I'll just stop by for actual information once in a while, and to post pictures. :(:

TornLabrum
11-08-2003, 04:13 PM

Have you been intercepting my emails to PHG? I wrote the following in the next "Fallen Arches" column that I emailed to him at 12:49 p.m. today:

"So here is a message to those who were bashing Guillen [on sportstalk radio]. His record right now for the 2004 season is 0-0, the same as it is for Tony LaRussa, Joe Torre, and Dusty Baker. Nobody knows what kind of manager Guillen will be until they actually play the games.

"Thatís something thatís always good to keep in mind."

Huisj
11-08-2003, 04:42 PM
when i saw the title for this thread, i thought it was going to be about organizing some WSI baseball game where we all got together and played ball.

Chisox_cali
11-08-2003, 08:58 PM

No that would make too much sense.

This is the only place that reading all the comments makes me feel bad to be a Sox fan. Which is another reason I don't post very often anymore. I want to feel good about being a Sox fan, which to a lot of people here seems to be some sort of heresy.

Daver
11-08-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
No that would make too much sense.

This is the only place that reading all the comments makes me feel bad to be a Sox fan. Which is another reason I don't post very often anymore. I want to feel good about being a Sox fan, which to a lot of people here seems to be some sort of heresy.

Everyone posts their opinions,nothing more and nothing less.

Feel free to disagree with them as you wish,feel free to respond with your own opinion.

For the record the top three articles on the main page are all pro Ozzie articles.

Brian26
11-08-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Huisj
when i saw the title for this thread, i thought it was going to be about organizing some WSI baseball game where we all got together and played ball.

In high school, a guy I knew built a wiffle ball field in his backyard. We played 60 games during the summer of 1990, kept stats, even installed lights so we could play at night until 4 in the morning. It was usually 3-in-3 rules, with centerfield being 100', while the corners were 120'. Cool field, fun times.

Chisox_cali
11-08-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Daver

Feel free to disagree with them as you wish,feel free to respond with your own opinion.

For the record the top three articles on the main page are all pro Ozzie articles.

I meant the boards mainly, not the articles.

I know I'm not the only one who doesn't like all the negativity.

And from years of reading the boards I know who is overly negative or who posts things that I care to read. I pick and choose who's posts I want to read, and who I ignore regularly.

Brian26
11-08-2003, 09:58 PM
I just want to say that Iguana has the best tag in the universe. (that includes Jason Soria). Mercy. Iguana, feel free to email me the cutting-room floors of that photo shoot.

Daver
11-08-2003, 10:29 PM
I meant the boards mainly, not the articles.

I know I'm not the only one who doesn't like all the negativity.

Feel free to change it.

You can post positive things just as easily as anyone else can post negative things.

Brian26
11-08-2003, 10:58 PM
WSI is the best message board on the internet.

Chisox_cali
11-08-2003, 11:11 PM
Feel free to change it.

You can post positive things just as easily as anyone else can post negative things.

Too much effort, because eventually, it'll turn into a whole "not in this organization" "F Jerry Reinsdorf" "This Team Will Never Succed with this management" "shouldn't that be in deep pink" and other witty and original responses to positivity.

I gave up trying to be positive on this board long ago, and I've given up on trying to fight the negativity.

Plus that grammar police stuff can get pretty annoying, even though it hasn't happened to me personally. :smile:

Brian26
11-08-2003, 11:22 PM
Too much effort, because eventually, it'll turn into a whole "not in this organization" "F Jerry Reinsdorf" "This Team Will Never Succed with this management" "shouldn't that be in deep pink" and other witty and original responses to positivity.

I gave up trying to be positive on this board long ago, and I've given up on trying to fight the negativity.

Plus that grammar police stuff can get pretty annoying, even though it hasn't happened to me personally. :smile:

It's "succeed", not "succed".

Just kidding.

Daver
11-08-2003, 11:23 PM

Well,if you want to complain about the negative stuff,and you don't want to make an effort to change it,then fait accompli you are agreeing to the negative attitude.

Brian26
11-08-2003, 11:25 PM
Daver whipping out the Latin.

:hawk

"Mercy!"

Chisox_cali
11-08-2003, 11:41 PM
Well,if you want to complain about the negative stuff,and you don't want to make an effort to change it,then fait accompli you are agreeing to the negative attitude.

That's the point. I've stopped trying to rid the negativity, sans this thread, and hence the "hardly ever post here any more" statement. I know it will never go away, so instead of complain about it, once again, except in this thread, I decide not to post at all.

Me not wanted to change it doesn't mean I agree with it at all. I've already tried to change it. It didn't work. I don't post that often.

FarWestChicago
11-08-2003, 11:43 PM
Too much effort, because eventually, it'll turn into a whole "not in this organization" "F Jerry Reinsdorf" "This Team Will Never Succed with this management" "shouldn't that be in deep pink" and other witty and original responses to positivity.You have a point there. The Prozac crowd is very vocal.

minastirith67
11-09-2003, 12:00 AM
WSI message boards often feel like Chicago talk radio. Bash the manager, GM, whoever is in charge. Reflecting on the positive things is unpopular because most people like to whine. Maybe everything would change if a Chicago team got a championship, but that doesn't look like it'll happen soon (unless you happen to like soccer, as Mike Downey was so apt to point out). We should all at least let Ozzie start spring training before any negative opinion is heard. But maybe I am too picky.

Btw, I usually don't like Downey's articles, and in fact he sounded pretty American and dumb when it comes to football (soccer). Most American media dopes know very little about soccer and then blast people like David Beckham because he represents everything wrong with the sport. Jim Rome is a chief culprit. Also, Downey is an obvious Cubs fan who attempts to write about the Sox which kinda pisses me off.

Chisox_cali
11-09-2003, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
You have a point there. The Prozac crowd is very vocal.

It's all a Park Forest by way of California viewpoint kind of thing :)

TornLabrum
11-09-2003, 12:59 AM

With another pro-Ozzie/anti-media/Score callers one in PHG's mailbox.

Chisox_cali
11-09-2003, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
With another pro-Ozzie/anti-media/Score callers one in PHG's mailbox.

I'll be sure to check it out

TornLabrum
11-09-2003, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by minastirith67
We should all at least let Ozzie start spring training before any negative opinion is heard. But maybe I am too picky.

The only way for that to happen will be if somebody fries Daver's HD so he can't log on. Anybody have a large electromagnet I can borrow? :D:

FarWestChicago
11-09-2003, 01:36 AM
It's all a Park Forest by way of California viewpoint kind of thing :) It leads to a sunny disposition. :D:

idseer
11-09-2003, 01:53 AM
personally i don't mind negativity if it's deserved. bashing JR is fair and just as he's proven over and over he's a cheap self-serving jerk. bashing JM was fair because he proved over and over how inept he was. i could go on with a few more too.

BUT!

bashing ozzie is about the dumbest thing i've seen here. when bashing is about something you THINK ... MIGHT ... happen then it's an abuse of the privilige imo.

suggesting you have doubts is one thing and i can accept that, but what has taken place here the last few days went way beyond that. lies and hate is the order of the day for a few posters. and i don't blame anyone for being sick and tired of reading it.

crector
11-09-2003, 04:20 AM
Originally posted by minastirith67
WSI message boards often feel like Chicago talk radio. Bash the manager, GM, whoever is in charge. Reflecting on the positive things is unpopular because most people like to whine. Maybe everything would change if a Chicago team got a championship, but that doesn't look like it'll happen soon

It would only help things temporarily and then only with the team that won the championship. Look at Mike Ditka and the '85 Bears. In just a couple years after that, Ditka went from Iron Mike to The Most Hated Man in Chicago. Then, after his successors did not experience much success, Ditka rebounded so much so that he is now "Da Coach" and people actually talk about how his firing was due to evil machinations on the part of the McCaskeys. Hardly anyone seems to remember that they fired Ditka only reluctantly in the face of overwhelming negativity from fans and media alike who had all gotten sick and tired of Ditka and what a loser he supposedly was.

crector
11-09-2003, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by idseer
personally i don't mind negativity if it's deserved. bashing JR is fair and just as he's proven over and over he's a cheap self-serving jerk. bashing JM was fair because he proved over and over how inept he was. i could go on with a few more too.

BUT!

bashing ozzie is about the dumbest thing i've seen here. when bashing is about something you THINK ... MIGHT ... happen then it's an abuse of the privilige imo.

suggesting you have doubts is one thing and i can accept that, but what has taken place here the last few days went way beyond that. lies and hate is the order of the day for a few posters. and i don't blame anyone for being sick and tired of reading it.

Ozzie was a slacker on the field and he 's already shown that now, as then, he has very poor judgment. The concerns that have been posted on this board about Ozzie are based on what he's already done, not on what he "might" do. What's this "lies and hate" that you are talking about anyways? Are you insinuating that concerns about Ozzie are motivated by ethnic prejudice?

guillen4life13
11-09-2003, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by crector
Are you insinuating that concerns about Ozzie are motivated by ethnic prejudice?

I doubt he is, but he didn't specifically call anyone out on that, and he also said "few," indicating that he is referring to a minority of posters.

But, he can probably answer for himself also.

idseer
11-09-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by crector
Ozzie was a slacker on the field and he 's already shown that now, as then, he has very poor judgment. The concerns that have been posted on this board about Ozzie are based on what he's already done, not on what he "might" do. What's this "lies and hate" that you are talking about anyways? Are you insinuating that concerns about Ozzie are motivated by ethnic prejudice?

specifically? how about the lie you told about the "other people" you know who heard the ozzie quote "we don't owe the fans a thing"? you hated the fact that one of your big points about what a schmuck ozzie was was taken out of context and therefore worthless to you as a weapon. so you suggest you've talked to people who say that wasn't true, instead of admitting that maybe you were wrong. the lie is obvious. and the constant (look at any thread you like here about ozzie and there you are trying to villify him) attacks and vicious accusations that ozzie was somehow an antichrist when he was a player. that's the hate.
i remember ozzie pretty well as a player. i don't recall anyone EVER suggesting he was a 'slacker' you're a revisionist. plain and simple. what i'm curious about is why? why the venom?

ethnic prejudice???? the old game of accusing the accuser? pretty sad there crector.

poorme
11-09-2003, 10:08 AM
Negativity doesn't bother me. Hateful words bother me.

Daver
11-09-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
The only way for that to happen will be if somebody fries Daver's HD so he can't log on. Anybody have a large electromagnet I can borrow? :D:

Whoa,going after my hard drive would be low.

:)

MisterB
11-09-2003, 04:49 PM
For some of us, confidence in the team's success is heavily influenced by the expected level of performance of the players and manager. As it stands now, we're looking at the distinct possibility of going into next season with a watered-down version (no Colon, no Everett, no Gordon) of a team that couldn't get the job done last year, having some players whose recent performances are out of line with their expected levels (Konerko, Koch, Robbie Alomar), players who, due to inexperience, have no established level of performance (Olivo, Crede, Harris), and top it off with a manager who has absolutely no track record at all and has as much a chance of being a failure as a success. In the past I've been bothered by the amount of negativity among the posters around here, but right now there are so many question marks about this team that I see a lot of the concern and frustration as being warranted. The hiring of Ozzie is the target right now because it's the most recent unknown quantity to be introduced into the equation. We all still hope the Sox will do well, but it's hard to maintain reasonable expectations when the situation gets more uncertain with each passing day, and a collapse looks more and more inevitable. Just my opinion on the subject.

joepoe
11-11-2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by soxnut
You're right Iguana. I just love the negativity around here. We have so many experts on this board. I mean, real baseball people that know what they're talking about .

I don't know why I bother coming here anymore. If my fandom had to be based on how I felt about some fans...I wouldn't be a Sox fan. Good thing it's not.

I guess I'll just stop by for actual information once in a while, and to post pictures. :(:

It's not a baseball issue, it is Management 101. When you manage people you don't dis tham and call them out in front of everyone else and embarass them, that causes nothing but bad feelings. And what kind of message does it send when you call out the best hitter on your team instead of Paul Konerko? It is madness!

soxnut
11-11-2003, 10:34 AM
Anyway, the best hitter, in my opinion, on the '03 team was Carl Everett. Maybe he should have called out everybody else, besides Everett, Lee and Alomar. The rest played DUMB baseball...swinging for the fences most of the time, then popping up or hitting into double plays......ridiculous. I say what Ozzie says, if you don't like it......... too bad. They should be embarrassed, they way the played the game, and the way they choked down the stretch, myabe they'll snap out of their home-run stupor. Besides, Thomas and Ozzie have know each other for a long time, and I'm sure Thomas knows what Ozzie means when he says something, so I don't think either thinks it's as big a deal as everyone is making it out to be. Maybe that's why he did call out only Frank, because he knows him.