PDA

View Full Version : I miss long games

soxwon
11-08-2003, 01:10 PM
i might be old fashioned-i am, i grew up with sunday double headers for 1 price.
why does baseball want fast games- i love the 3:30 minute+ games.
you used to spend ALL day at the park, 10am till 4.
that was the days.
especially at todays prices i abhore 2 hour 30 minute games.
unless we win.
bring back old time baseball. double headers, all day family days.
thats america.
am i the only one who likes longer games.?
some people spend more time driving to a game than the game itself.
da reverand spoutin off.

harwar
11-08-2003, 01:23 PM
I couldn't agree more.I used to love the Double headers as well.I also like longer games but in this speed oriented society,faster is better.
I thought that they were just shortening the games so that they could fill in the time saved with more TV commercials(like they did in the NFL) but i haven't seen any sign of that yet.

jabrch
11-08-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by soxwon
i might be old fashioned-i am, i grew up with sunday double headers for 1 price.
that was the days.
unless we win.
thats america.
da reverand spoutin off.

When I got to 7pm starts, I do not want to stay watching a pitcher take 1 minute between pitches for 3-4 hours. I happen to live close to the park, but if you live in the burbs, as many sox fans do, it means not getting home until after midnight. Sorry - me no likey. Give me a 2 hour win any day of the week.

Deadguy
11-08-2003, 05:57 PM
I laughed when I read that MLB was going to try and shorten the average time length of the games. However, I was surprised at how effective they were in doing so, and it didn't really seem to change the flow of the game all too much.

It personally doesn't matter to me. I can enjoy a 1-0 1hr 50 minute pitcher's duel, just as much as a 15-10 4 hr slugfest. However, I don't necessarilly agree with MLB's main motive for trying to shorten the length of the games, which is to try and appeal to the younger generation.

Who cares if some 12 year old in Des Moines would rather watch the X games, rather than a Twins vs. Royals game? Shortening the average length of the game by 15 to 30 minutes isn't likely to change his opinion on watching baseball.

Chisoxfn
11-08-2003, 06:17 PM
I hate 3-4 hour games cause it typically means the pitching is lousy and I'm a huge fan of pitching, defense and situational hitting. Give me a 3-2 game with some great defensive plays and some clutch hits and I'll be happy.

Their is nothing I hate more then watching a game where both teams pitchers can't find the strike zones and are constantly pitching behind in the count.

idseer
11-08-2003, 06:25 PM
that was the days.
unless we win.
thats america.
da reverand spoutin off.

i'm with you all the way soxwon. too much is made of the fact baseball isn't a fast pace action game. IT WAS NEVER MEANT TO BE!!!!

it's a thinking person's game and should be enjoyed slowly like a fine bottle of wine.

Brian26
11-08-2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by idseer
i'm with you all the way soxwon. too much is made of the fact baseball isn't a fast pace action game. IT WAS NEVER MEANT TO BE!!!!

it's a thinking person's game and should be enjoyed slowly like a fine bottle of wine.

Or a good game of chess.

TornLabrum
11-09-2003, 01:09 AM
Speaking of shortening games, did anyone catch game 7 of the '71 Series on ESPN Classic today? At one point Curt Gowdy was talking about ways in which the game could be shortened, which was a goal of baseball at that time. Looks like it only took 32 years to accomplish it. Well, baseballdoes move at a leisurely pace.

Clembasbal
11-09-2003, 01:07 PM
that was the days.
unless we win.
thats america.
da reverand spoutin off.

Other than talking about double-headers, you must be a fool. Long games suck. Two games (Double-header) would be fine, and only if they lasted 5:30 hours tops. Nobody wants to be in Bridgeport or Carneyville at 11PM at night -- according to your long game. And nobody wants to be there at Midnight, because of the Sox starting games later next season (more than likely if you talk to your season tickey holder representative).

Old school games - like you mention - are pitching duals and games that usually lasted around 2 hours. That is why more people went to games long ago, because they were short and you still could have the rest of the day to enjoy.

If I want to go out after a Sox game that lasts 3:30 hours, I just say, "Forget it, what's the point...it too damn late already."

CubKilla
11-09-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
I hate 3-4 hour games cause it typically means the pitching is lousy and I'm a huge fan of pitching, defense and situational hitting.

Or, if you can remember back to the day, Fisk was catching :D: . Pudge had a ritual of, after every pitch, standing up, tapping his glove, looking over to third while adjusting his face mask, adjusting his jockey strap, slowly getting back down into his crouch, flexing the lower heel of his catching glove while looking down at home plate, giving the signs to the pitcher, then preparing for the pitch.

I miss Pudge.

jabrch
11-10-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Or, if you can remember back to the day, Fisk was catching :D: . Pudge had a ritual of, after every pitch, standing up, tapping his glove, looking over to third while adjusting his face mask, adjusting his jockey strap, slowly getting back down into his crouch, flexing the lower heel of his catching glove while looking down at home plate, giving the signs to the pitcher, then preparing for the pitch.

I miss Pudge.

Imagine Trachsel to Pudge with Hargrove (The Human Rain Delay) and Knobloch (Chuck, I think your batting gloves are fine - there is no need to readjust them after taking a pitch) at the plate? We'd be talking 45 minute 1-2-3 innings!

DannyCaterFan
11-10-2003, 01:39 PM
Oh Yes! Those Sunday doubleheaders of my youth. I can remember going with my friends to old Comiskey in the late 60's and 70's when you quite possibly, with a little help from rain or extra innings would be at the ballpark from 11:00 til 9:00. The longer the better. Hopefully I had enough quarters in my pocket for a few cones of popcorn, Cokes, and hotdogs. Those were the days.
I have never been bothered by long games and realize that Baseball is the only game that has to be completely played out without use of a clock. It is a game of strategy, a thinking man's game.
I think every team should schedule at least 1 Sunday afternoon doubleheader every season for fans that just can't get enough!