PDA

View Full Version : Daily Herald on Guillen and Wee Willie

JRIG
11-08-2003, 12:19 PM
I didn't see this posted, but this is pretty much worst-case scenario of the Gullen managerial regime:

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sox.asp?intID=37930143

From the Daily Herald, Nov 5:

Carl Everett won't be back as the center fielder, which leaves Aaron Rowand, Willie Harris and fading prospect Joe Borchard in the mix.

Harris batted .204 in a very limited role with the Sox last season, but Guillen wants speed at the top of the order and Harris is easily the fastest player on the roster.

Guillen watched leadoff man Juan Pierre put the ball on the ground and run while helping spark the Marlins to the World Series championship. He envisions Harris doing the same thing.

"Harris is in the picture and we'll see what he brings to the table,'' Guillen said. "I'm looking for a leadoff hitter and I'll teach him how to bunt in spring training.''

Bad news. Take a team that finished 8th in the AL in runs last season and put the team's worst hitter at the top of the lineup. Just because he's fast. You can't steal first base.

Shoeless Joe
11-08-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
Bad news. Take a team that finished 8th in the AL in runs last season and put the team's worst hitter at the top of the lineup. Just because he's fast. You can't steal first base.

All the more reason to get Luis Castillo!

I know, I know it won't happen...

crector
11-08-2003, 12:50 PM
I didn't see this posted, but this is pretty much worst-case scenario of the Gullen managerial regime:

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sox.asp?intID=37930143

From the Daily Herald, Nov 5:

Carl Everett won't be back as the center fielder, which leaves Aaron Rowand, Willie Harris and fading prospect Joe Borchard in the mix.

Harris batted .204 in a very limited role with the Sox last season, but Guillen wants speed at the top of the order and Harris is easily the fastest player on the roster.

Guillen watched leadoff man Juan Pierre put the ball on the ground and run while helping spark the Marlins to the World Series championship. He envisions Harris doing the same thing.

"Harris is in the picture and we'll see what he brings to the table,'' Guillen said. "I'm looking for a leadoff hitter and I'll teach him how to bunt in spring training.''

Look at the bright side: With Harris at the top of the lineup, Ozzie's setting himself for a fall. Hopefully, by the All Star break next year, even JR and KW will be able to see that he's unfit for the job and then they'll go out and this time actually come up with someone who's really qualified to be the Sox manager.

The Guillen Era Chicago White Sox is more and more shaping up like a real-life version of the unintentional comedy classic Plan 9 From Outer Space . Too bad Ed Wood isn't around anymore.

MisterB
11-08-2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by crector
The Guillen Era Chicago White Sox is more and more shaping up like a real-life version of the unintentional comedy classic Plan 9 From Outer Space . Too bad Ed Wood isn't around anymore.

:reinsy
"You're all STUPID... STUPID! STUPID! STUPID!!"

Gumshoe
11-08-2003, 01:23 PM
If Ozzie doesn't start AR in CF, he'll hear it from me from behind the dugout when I'm at games. He'll hear it. I still think he'll realize that AR is the man for the job.

harwar
11-08-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by crector
Hopefully, by the All Star break next year, even JR and KW will be able to see that he's unfit for the job and then they'll go out and this time actually come up with someone who's really qualified to be the Sox manager.

Reinsdorf just won't do that.I think that we will go straight down once the season starts and we'll stay there all year,but Reinsdorf won't fire Ozzie until its WAY TOO LATE.
This whole thing is really too bad because i always liked Ozzie.
I actually had a dream a few weeks back that the White Sox had somehow stolen Felipe Alou from the giants and that everything was straightened out and we were on our way..Oh well,dreams are all we will have this season.
What a Bummer!!!

ondafarm
11-08-2003, 01:59 PM
I had the chance to watch Willie Harris quite closely twice. Once when he first came to the Sox organization and had to adjust to AAA pitching. It took him awhile but he started hitting breaking balls well and then seemed to dial up the speed and adjust to fastballs.

I also watched him in September. He seemed to be doing the same type of adjustment. If I saw it, then I think Ozzie saw it and if so, his comments would make sense. I think Harris will be doing most of the CF duties with some platooning with Rowand.

poorme
11-08-2003, 02:26 PM
Neither of them are any good, but I bet Harris would have a higher OBP.

JRIG
11-08-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by poorme
Neither of them are any good, but I bet Harris would have a higher OBP.

Isn't that sort of like predicting Rosie O'Donnell will weigh less than Oprah a year from now? Both will still be fat, and like Harris and Rowand, both will be lucky to be around 300.

poorme
11-08-2003, 02:33 PM
Yeah. But most people haven't come to grips with how weak a hitter Alomar is.

DrCrawdad
11-08-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by poorme
Yeah. But most people haven't come to grips with how weak a hitter Alomar is.

Alomar is now a weak hitter, but that doesn't matter. The pertinent question, is Alomar a ...

http://www.hitachi-koki.com/powertools/images/grinder.jpg

poorme
11-08-2003, 02:47 PM
I don't know. He seems kind of lethargic or something. Somebody needs to light a fire under him. I'm not sure that having a good buddy as manager will do this.

jeremyb1
11-08-2003, 03:23 PM
I've said before, don't completely write off Harris. He posted some really strong numbers in AAA last season and personally I'm hesitant to believe in the concept of 4A players and write Harris off because he's struggled in 300 major league at bats. That's not that many at bats to adjust to major league pitching.

TaylorStSox
11-08-2003, 04:03 PM
I still have faith in Harris. I think he'll be an adequate leadoff hitter at some point. I still have faith in Rowand and Borchard as well. I guess my sky isn't falling.

lowesox
11-08-2003, 04:23 PM
Ozzie will come to love how hard Rowand plays. This comment doesn't worry me.

Huisj
11-08-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Alomar is now a weak hitter, but that doesn't matter. The pertinent question, is Alomar a ...

http://www.hitachi-koki.com/powertools/images/grinder.jpg

is that supposed to be a tool, or a spark?

JRIG
11-08-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Huisj
is that supposed to be a tool, or a spark?

It's a grinder...get it?

DrCrawdad
11-08-2003, 08:11 PM
It's a grinder...get it?

Grinder, grinder, grinder. Jeez, could Kenny have said that word more often during the Dump Manuel Press Conference?

As far as Alomar, he very well could be a tool too.

Brian26
11-08-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Grinder, grinder, grinder. Jeez, could Kenny have said that
As far as Alomar, he very well could be a tool too.

Hehe. Crawdad's cracking me up tonight.