PDA

View Full Version : Who's number 1 on your wishlist?

lowesox
11-07-2003, 11:50 PM
Mine is Latroy Hawkins. By signing him we'd have two good closing options in the bullpen (3 if we resign Gordon). Plus, we take a player away from the twins.

I'd like Ponson too, but the market seems to think at Starting Pitcher, so they'd probably need to overpay for him.

I'll tell you what though, if the Sox picked up the above two they would be SERIOUS contenders.

JDP
11-07-2003, 11:55 PM
I think you'd have to break that into two categories, for speculation's sake as it is.

Wish List: Offense
1. A solid FA acquisition at SS/2B. Perhaps SS not anymore since we have to pay Valentin $5.0 to play somewhere, but getting either of the Japanese players would be nice. Otherwise, I think my top wish list item would be Castillo to gold-glove the second base area and be the leadoff hitter the Sox lack.

Wish List: Pitching
1. Tough call -- in a pipe dream world, I'd love Pettitte w/ a FA sign or a deal that could bring Schilling here w/o giving up too much (see: "FA w/ a contract" quote from other thread).

CubKilla
11-07-2003, 11:56 PM
Re-sign Colon or sign Pettite :D:

nodiggity59
11-08-2003, 12:00 AM
1. Resign Colon

2. Latroy Hawkins

3. Kenny Lofton

I honestly think there are no other legitimate #1 starters we can get worth the money besides Colon - forget Schilling or Pettite. If we can't get him then pick up the best 3 and 4 guys we can and the priority becomes bullpen/leadoff guy.

JDP
11-08-2003, 12:01 AM
I'd like Colon on the Sox again just as bit as the next Sox fan, but in all honesty, the 3/$36.0 deal that was offered was just entirely too much for Colon. If Colon performed in 2003 like he did in 2002 AND had more strikeouts, then perhaps. Otherwise, 3/$36.0 was just too much -- I'd have said $10.0/year would be complimentary to Colon with the way he's pitched of late.

Shoeless Joe
11-08-2003, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by JDP
I'd like Colon on the Sox again just as bit as the next Sox fan, but in all honesty, the 3/$36.0 deal that was offered was just entirely too much for Colon. If Colon performed in 2003 like he did in 2002 AND had more strikeouts, then perhaps. Otherwise, 3/$36.0 was just too much -- I'd have said $10.0/year would be complimentary to Colon with the way he's pitched of late.

I agree to a certain extent. Sure no one wants to pay him that much money but because of the scarcity of an Ace pitcher this year the market has dictated the price. Heck pretty soon Mark Buehrle is going to get 10 mil easily and he's not even our number one starter anymore. Good players donít come cheap anymore.

The Sox aren't going to waste any money this year so there's no realistic HUGE FA pickup.

Still if everyone is coming up with ridiculous trades then I'm entitled to believe that the Sox should make Luis Castillo their number one target now.

JRIG
11-08-2003, 01:18 AM
Luis Castillo

Solid defense, real actual lead-off hitter.

Plus, his presence means Alomar won't be back.

Randar68
11-08-2003, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Re-sign Colon or sign Pettite :D:

My WISH list would look someething like:

1) Pettite
1A) Colon
2) Luis Castillo
3) Ponson
4) Cameron
5) R. Alomar cheaply
6) Gordon Cheaply
7) Sullivan cheaply
8) real bullpen help.

9) Dumping Konerko
10) Dumping Koch

I haven't looked closely at the FA list in a while, so I might have overlooked a couple guys I otherwise would have included.

Disclaimer: This list does not factor financials of the situation.

fquaye149
11-08-2003, 09:49 AM
all right...colon gave us a gutsy performance last year

but you'd rather have him for 12 mill a yr. than schilling for 12-16?

(i know, i know...schilling won't sign with us...but he's not a 10/5 guy is he?)

ondafarm
11-08-2003, 10:04 AM
#1 on my wish list
Bianca Solorazano

(unless we are talking White Sox baseball, which we are)

in that case its
Kenny Lofton

Gumshoe
11-08-2003, 01:30 PM
Funny stuff.

I hope that the Kenny Lofton thing was a JOKE too, though. Aaron Rowand is better than Kenny Lofton defensively AND offensively, Kenny Lofton is like 40 and furthermore, 2 years ago he looked TERRIBLE in CF for us. I hope you are really joking.

Gumshoe

ps - i agree with the OP, LaTroy is a really solid reliever. Really solid. Get rid of Gordon, sign him, try to sign Sully, then we have Hawkins, Marte, Wunsch, and Sullivan. That is awesome.

harwar
11-08-2003, 01:33 PM
Put Ozzie Guillen back at SS and make Jose Valentin the manager.

crector
11-08-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by harwar

Sounds more like a death wish than a wish list.........

jeremyb1
11-08-2003, 03:28 PM
I love the Hawkins idea. I'd put Foulke up there too although there's probably next to no chance he'd sign with us. This club would be really well off with a few elite pitchers joining Marte in the pen. I like Gordon but he's up there in age and has a rough injury history. If he's really going to ask for 5 million we should just put that money towards someone like Hawkins or a closer.

As much as I like the idea of a reliever I'd still probably look at Ponson and Escobar first assuming Colon is out of the picture.

SoxxoS
11-08-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by harwar

:manos

"OK. I want EVERYONE switch hitting. Even if you never have. Looking at my numbers, it's basically like I never have either. And I still made 5 million!"

kraut83
11-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Konerko & Koch for Leiter & Reyes

jabrch
11-08-2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by fquaye149
all right...colon gave us a gutsy performance last year

but you'd rather have him for 12 mill a yr. than schilling for 12-16?

(i know, i know...schilling won't sign with us...but he's not a 10/5 guy is he?)

Not a 10/5 guy, but he has a no-trade clause in his contract - so it is the same thing.

Brian26
11-08-2003, 11:24 PM
Sarah Michelle Gellar.

Lip Man 1
11-09-2003, 12:38 AM
#1 on my wish list...a new friggin owner.

Until them it's always the same BS

Lip

RichH55
11-09-2003, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

No way they would trade for a # 1 Pitcher in the offseason (what committee was JR on concerning the Expos?)

The White Sox didn't get it done last year(doesnt mean they didnt try)

ChiSoxFann
11-09-2003, 11:46 AM
well its a wish list right so...
1. A Rod and texas eats up 100 mill
2. They Yanks infield and outfield and well pretty much the whole organization
3. if #2 comes true we dont need a #3 do we

hey its a wish list i can dream cant i :gulp:

WHarris13
11-09-2003, 11:48 AM
All I want for Christmas is:
1) Orlando Cabrera
2) Luis Castillo
3) LaTroy Hawkins
4) Sidney Ponson

CubKilla
11-09-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
The White Sox didn't get it done last year(doesnt mean they didnt try)

I disagree with that assessment..... but only somewhat. My bone of contention to refute the above would be, trading for Everett and R Alomar aside, the White Sox Organization never addressed the glaring absence of a 5th starter. While the White Sox Organization made a few moves which bettered the team, the Organization never addressed, IMHO, the biggest problem of all.

akingamongstmen
11-09-2003, 01:35 PM
Bartolo Colon...I get the feeling that he'll end up with us anyway. Besides, I'm not sold on Ponson. As for the fifth spot, I think that Jon Rauch might finally be ready and at full strength. And he'll come a lot cheaper than the other garbage out there (i.e. John Burkett).

lowesox
11-09-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

Maybe what we really need is a GM that is an independent thinker. Pat Gillick is out there now, isn't he? I'd love to see what he could do with this team.

MisterB
11-09-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
I disagree with that assessment..... but only somewhat. My bone of contention to refute the above would be, trading for Everett and R Alomar aside, the White Sox Organization never addressed the glaring absence of a 5th starter. While the White Sox Organization made a few moves which bettered the team, the Organization never addressed, IMHO, the biggest problem of all.

That was not the Sox biggest problem. Yes, our 5th starters were 3-11, but the Sox went 9-4 when those starters got a no decision (12-15 overall). The far bigger problem was the all-or-nothing Sox offense that more often than not produced nothing. If the offense were more consistent, it would have made all our starters look better, including the 5th spot. The 2 biggest problems IMO were Konerko's total offensive collapse and the Sox complete lack of offensive and defensive fundamentals.

Lip Man 1
11-09-2003, 08:30 PM
Lowesox:

Do you honestly think Uncle Jerry would allow an "independent" thinker as GM? Do you think he'd pay financially to get someone like a Gillick? Jocketty? Sabean? Cashman?

Lip