View Full Version : Team USA...

MarkEdward
11-07-2003, 09:43 PM
... loses. Cancel the trip to Athens:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/news/031107aoq_mexico.html

Few things:

1. Single elimination games suck.

2. For the proponents of small ball:
Grady Sizmore and Graham Koonce led off the bottom of the ninth with singles, and Joe Mauer came on to bunt them to second and third. With one out, third baseman Justin Leone, Team USA's best hitter in the tournament, grounded out to the pitcher. Gerald Laird popped out to first to end the game.
Sometimes it just doesn't work.

3. Go Canada, eh?

Pudge Fan
11-07-2003, 10:11 PM
I was at the semi-final and gold medal games in Sydney and I can honestly say it was the best baseball experience of my life - at least until the Sox win it all next year... :)

Why wouldn't the defending gold medal winners automatically get a berth? It just doesn't makes sense. It's like the International Baseball Federation just wants to get dumped from Olympic competition. They're pretty close to it as it is!

In any event...a very sad day. I was looking forward to Athens...

doublem23
11-08-2003, 08:21 PM
I guess Roger Clemens won't get that shot at the gold medal he wants. I feel so bad for him.

Brian26
11-08-2003, 08:52 PM
What a dueche Clemens is. Yeah, let me strike out a bunch of 19 year old Korean kids to win a gold medal. Talk about taking candy from a baby.

Thunderstruck30
11-09-2003, 12:55 AM
Its pretty pathetic that a countrys baseball team can go from winning the gold medal to not even qualifying 4 years later.

RichH55
11-09-2003, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
What a dueche Clemens is. Yeah, let me strike out a bunch of 19 year old Korean kids to win a gold medal. Talk about taking candy from a baby.

Those Cubans 19?

MarkEdward
11-09-2003, 10:55 AM

Were you angry at Ernie Young (age 34) and Graham Koonce (28) playing for Team USA?

CubKilla
11-09-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
2. For the proponents of small ball:

Sometimes it just doesn't work.

While I wouldn't consider myself a small ball mark, what is wrong with trying to manufacture a run here and there? After all, swinging for the fences every AB by every player but R Alomar..... and sometimes Valentin..... paid off huge dividends in 2003.

doublem23
11-09-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
While I wouldn't consider myself a small ball mark, what is wrong with trying to manufacture a run here and there? After all, swinging for the fences every AB by every player but R Alomar..... and sometimes Valentin..... paid off huge dividends in 2003.

Are you suggesting we couldn't beat Team Mexico? :D:

Brian26
11-09-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Were you angry at Ernie Young (age 34) and Graham Koonce (28) playing for Team USA?

No, because they're not major league ballplayers that have won CY Young or MVP awards. The skill level of Clemens, even at this current age, is obviously on a higher plane than the kids playing in the Olympics (for TEAM USA or its opponents). Clemens "wants a gold medal". He wants a gold medal handed to him. If it's that automatic, he shouldn't be involved. Do I mind if some 32-year old retreads who have played Triple A-ball most of their career want a medal? No...I support them.

Brian26
11-09-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Those Cubans 19?

Of course not. However, I know guys in their early 40's that wouldn't be able to touch a Clemens pitch, and have far less of a chance at beating them than the 19 year olds. My point, which I didn't make clear the first time, is that Clemens is so far superior to the other competition involved that it wouldn't be fair. C'mon. if Team USA played the Florida Marlins or NY Yankees, who do you think would win? MLB is so far above the Olympic level of competition that it's a joke. Having Clemens compete is a joke, too.

doublem23
11-09-2003, 03:33 PM
Of course not. However, I know guys in their early 40's that wouldn't be able to touch a Clemens pitch, and have far less of a chance at beating them than the 19 year olds. My point, which I didn't make clear the first time, is that Clemens is so far superior to the other competition involved that it wouldn't be fair. C'mon. if Team USA played the Florida Marlins or NY Yankees, who do you think would win? MLB is so far above the Olympic level of competition that it's a joke. Having Clemens compete is a joke, too.

I'd say look at the men's USA basketball team as an example, but they lost using NBA stars. Maybe we're not much better than everyone as we think? :?:

MarkEdward
11-09-2003, 04:11 PM
No, because they're not major league ballplayers that have won CY Young or MVP awards. The skill level of Clemens, even at this current age, is obviously on a higher plane than the kids playing in the Olympics (for TEAM USA or its opponents). Clemens "wants a gold medal". He wants a gold medal handed to him. If it's that automatic, he shouldn't be involved. Do I mind if some 32-year old retreads who have played Triple A-ball most of their career want a medal? No...I support them.

Well, Clemens doesn't just want "the gold medal handed to him." That's why he's willing to compete for the prize. It's a moot point, but I wouldn't have a problem with Clemens' pitching. Maybe it's his way of showing patriotism.

Dadawg_77
11-10-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Thunderstruck30
Its pretty pathetic that a countrys baseball team can go from winning the gold medal to not even qualifying 4 years later.

Also could be sign that baseball is competive out there and anything can happen in one game.