PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Third Uninform Pants: BLACK!

Stoky44
11-07-2003, 04:13 PM
I know this is being talked about in the S.D. Padres thread, but I thought we could use a poll on this thought.

Here is what I said in the other thread:

Here is just kind of a crazy idea. I know we were pioneers with the solid black alternate jersey. Why don't we be pioneers and come up with a third alternate pants: all black, (Maybe with a stripe down the legs like on the gray pants). I know at first every one is going to jump on this and say hell now, that would be terible, but if you think about it, it might actually be kind of cool for a change. The alternate black jersey with black pants could look very bad ass. Or even on the road black pants with the gray jerseys could look cool.

As for the home jersey and alt black jersey: I LIKE

Road gray uniforms are ok, not great but they are fine.

But I think we should be the first team in baseball to introduce black pants as an alternate third pants option.

What do you guys think? Don't come back with saying that it might get too hot in warm weather. B/c for 1. they wear black jerseys with black hats when it is hot already, so black pants won't make it that much hotter. And 2. Back in the old days guys wore heavy wool jerseys in the middle of the summer.

Huisj
11-07-2003, 04:21 PM
disgusting. they'd look like a softball team or a bad high school team. we played a team in high school with black pants, they were awful looking. absolutely no!

DonkeyKongerko
11-07-2003, 04:54 PM
I just don't think there's a place for dark pants in baseball.

Stoky44
11-07-2003, 05:33 PM
Ok I am by no means artistic, but here is a crude look at black pants. I really like the all black look. I wouldn't want to see this look all the time, but every so often would be really cool. The actual picture I was playing arouund with isn't the greatest, I mean if you look at the original picture, before I modified it with black pants, the uniforms don't look that great. So I think if a real artist or if we saw these in person it would look great. Plus I think the vest uni's would look good with the black pants as well.

Also I added a new road uniform that I think should replace the current road uniforms. I think that the black as well as the gray pants both look good on these new uniforms. In addition I think there should be a road hat, which has a gray brim.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-07-2003, 05:42 PM
OMIGOD! It's the "We Are Family" 1979 Pirates!!!

U-G-L-Y.

Can we complete the ensemble with 25 sets of Terry Bevington's managerial shoes? Andy the Clown's will do in a pinch, too.

:o:

GregoryEtc
11-07-2003, 08:22 PM
Nice work stokey! Well done.

My opinion on the other thread was that the all black would look so bad they'd be good and I think i'm right. I would be against the white tops with black pants or any other combo.

I would say ONLY BLACK ON BLACK.

I also think that you could play with the away jerseys a bit to use the font from the late 70s-81 uni's. I think that font would tie in nicely with the current script SOX. I kinda have grown to hate the current away jerseys so i definitely think we need a change there. They just lack originality.

I had planned on coming home and giving it a try but since you have done such a great job, that leaves more time to play with the kids. :smile: Well done. Thanks.

IA_soxfan
11-07-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Stoky44
Ok I am by no means artistic, but here is a crude look at black pants. I really like the all black look. I wouldn't want to see this look all the time, but every so often would be really cool. The actual picture I was playing arouund with isn't the greatest, I mean if you look at the original picture, before I modified it with black pants, the uniforms don't look that great. So I think if a real artist or if we saw these in person it would look great. Plus I think the vest uni's would look good with the black pants as well.

Also I added a new road uniform that I think should replace the current road uniforms. I think that the black as well as the gray pants both look good on these new uniforms. In addition I think there should be a road hat, which has a gray brim.

Hideous...positively horrid. I too played a team in HS with black pants, they looked like a bunch of figure skaters who got lost on their way to the rink.

JDP
11-07-2003, 10:37 PM
Wouldn't the black & black approach be hotter than hell? It might be fine early in the season or when the weather is cool, but come summer-time, wouldn't it perhaps be a fatigue issue?

SoxRulecubsdrool
11-07-2003, 11:05 PM
My two cents, I think the black pants look decent but we might fall into that softball team look. I was actually daydreaming the other day about a new white jersey with no stripes and White Sox or Chicago across the front. :gulp:

Got to go get a beer!

JDP
11-07-2003, 11:07 PM
Looks aside -- full black attire in the heat and humidity?

CubKilla
11-07-2003, 11:09 PM
Monochrome is all the rage in the NFL. Maybe Stoky's onto something.

JDP
11-07-2003, 11:11 PM
Ok Hilfiger, I'll let you back to your fashion show then.

SpringfldFan
11-08-2003, 09:30 AM
Monochrome is the rage in the NFL, but in addition to that, they are getting into that industrial metallic look (i.e. the Seahawks, The Buc's pants, the Rams' metallic gold last year, etc.)

How about considering a deeper, more metallic silver/grey for the Sox away unis? Now that would be innovative. I don't know if the Sox would do it, or if it would even look good on their unis, but *some* MLB team is going to try it before long.

Brian26
11-08-2003, 02:32 PM
DON'T MESS WITH THE CURRENT UNIFORMS! This is ridiculous. The current uniforms (home, road and black sunday) are the best in the history of the franchise. Don't alter them in any way. The road uniform is perfect. The script, the black diamond sock logo, the piping. Don't touch it. Don't even think about it.

By the way, that photo comes from "Baseball Uniforms of the 20th Century", which is a great reference book although the illustrations are a bit lacking.

kraut83
11-08-2003, 02:44 PM
No thanks, I don't want to look like one of those crappy WAC/Mountain West football uniforms that those schools wear!

ShoelessFred
11-08-2003, 06:29 PM
i hate the black SHIRTS, so black pants would make me puke. i think the uniform change this team should make is with their road uniforms. ALWAYS wear grey. and change the script chicago, to chicago printed across the chest in old english letters. just like you see it on top of the tribune. NOW THAT'S A JERSEY THAT WOULD SELL.

ShoelessFred
11-08-2003, 06:30 PM
example

http://www.chicagotribune.com/images/chinews/logotop.gif

SpringfldFan
11-08-2003, 06:48 PM
The Yankees have never changed their uniform design. At least for home unis, the Cubs have not changed their design. Neither have the Dodgers or the Tigers. For that matter, neither have the Bears, Packers, Penn State football teams. And you know what? Even if they are nice designs, I am bored and tired of every single one of them!

I think a little updating for the times would be fine, as long as you preserve the basic essence of the design in order to keep the team's identity. IMO that means always keep the Old English "Sox" on the hats and jerseys. Keeping pinstripes or predominant black would be ok also. But beyond that, add a little variance every so often. A third trim color would be excellent for that purpose. So would a move to white socks. Just make small changes like that but keep the overall design in tact. If you allow me to go to another sport for an example, look at Notre Dame football. Their uniform has always been navy and gold, but it has continued to evolve and right now I think it is far and away the best looking uniform in college football.

doublem23
11-08-2003, 08:11 PM
Oh my... Maybe they should just go to jumpsuits...

The white pinstripes are fine by me. :smile:

doublem23
11-08-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by ShoelessFred
i hate the black SHIRTS, so black pants would make me puke. i think the uniform change this team should make is with their road uniforms. ALWAYS wear grey. and change the script chicago, to chicago printed across the chest in old english letters. just like you see it on top of the tribune. NOW THAT'S A JERSEY THAT WOULD SELL.

Old English gets old after a while, I personally like the cursive Chicago. There's no need to tinker with the uniform. The Sox have one of the best jerseys in baseball... It has a very nice, old-style baseball feel with a hint of modernism. The last thing I want to be is the freakin' Diamondbacks with a zillion different jersey, pant, and hat combinations.

Huisj
11-08-2003, 08:33 PM
keep what they got. they're perfect.

Brian26
11-08-2003, 08:46 PM
By the way, if Toronto is actually going to wear the all graphite uniform on the road, they will be the laughing stock of baseball. I have a feeling they'll have grey pants with the graphite top, especially since the Padres article mentioned they will be the only team with ANY grey in their road uniform (opting for the sand color). The Sox, as I have said, shouldn't change a thing with their unis.

Kroozah
11-08-2003, 10:38 PM
Reminds me of the uni's from the 80's.... while we are at it... bring back the shorts to go along with them then :)