PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Idea, could it work?

FarmerAndy
11-07-2003, 03:53 PM
Before you rip me to shreds, this isn't my idea..... but after my initial laugh attack, I can't stop thinking about it.

Here it is:

Paul Konerko, Billy Koch, and Jose Valentin to Texas for A-ROD.

Why would Texas take 3 bad players for 1 really good one? Because they don't wan't to be stuck with A-Rod's salary for the better part of the next decade. While Konerko, Koch, and Valentin would cost them almost as much as A-Rod in 2004, they would be done with Koch and Valentin after '04, and with Konerko after '05. Then they will have free'd themselves from the whole mess.

Why would the Sox take a $25 million dollar guy on a tight buget? Well, for this year anyway, the loss of Konerko, Valentin, Koch, would pretty much pay for A-Rod anyway. The only problem with this deal is that the Sox would have A-Rod's contract for years to come, which could cause problems. But screw it. The future doesn't exist, I want to win A.S.A.P.!

I'll probably wake up tomorrow and realize that this doesn't make any sense, and would never work. But right now I'm in total pipe dream mode.

voodoochile
11-07-2003, 03:55 PM
This trade will NEVER happen. The Rangers would have to be complete idiots to even consider it.

Dadawg_77
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
Before you rip me to shreds, this isn't my idea..... but after my initial laugh attack, I can't stop thinking about it.

Here it is:

Why would Texas take 3 bad players for 1 really good one? Because they don't wan't to be stuck with A-Rod's salary for the better part of the next decade. While Konerko, Koch, and Valentin would cost them almost as much as A-Rod in 2004, they would be done with Koch and Valentin after '04, and with Konerko after '05. Then they will have free'd themselves from the whole mess.

Why would the Sox take a $25 million dollar guy on a tight buget? Well, for this year anyway, the loss of Konerko, Valentin, Koch, would pretty much pay for A-Rod anyway. The only problem with this deal is that the Sox would have A-Rod's contract for years to come, which could cause problems. But screw it. The future doesn't exist, I want to win A.S.A.P.!

I'll probably wake up tomorrow and realize that this doesn't make any sense, and would never work. But right now I'm in total pipe dream mode.

Do this move and season ticket sales go up, but the Sox had better be willing to have a 80 million dollar payroll to make it work.

Dadawg_77
Originally posted by voodoochile
This trade will NEVER happen. The Rangers would have to be complete idiots to even consider it.

baseball wise it isn't a good move but it would free them of the salary.

SoxxoS
11-07-2003, 03:56 PM
But right now I'm in total pipe dream mode.

Yep. Looks good, but Texas needs pitching. They don't need the White Sox garbage for the best player in the game.

Plus, they already have Texiera and Raffy at 1B.

Unless they want to move Konerko to LF...

Dadawg_77
11-07-2003, 03:59 PM
Ralf is gone, I believe.

Stoky44
11-07-2003, 03:59 PM
Trade would never happen because the Texas is bassically getting nothing in return. If you added Neal Cotts, Mike Porzio, and Jon Rauch (possibly Garland too) as well as Jose, Paulie, and Kroch. Then maybe because at least they are getting some pitching (WHICH THEY NEED). I am not saying the sox should do this trade, but I think it would take this much to get A-Rod away.

Dadawg_77
11-07-2003, 04:01 PM
Texas could get pitching out of this deal, just next year and better pitching then propects.

FarmerAndy
11-07-2003, 04:10 PM
I think what the Rangers gain is addition by subtraction. They can't go out and get pitching because they are paying A-Rod. After next year they would have almost all of that money untied, and then they could go get pitching. But yeah, it would probably also take somebody like Cotts and another pitching prospect in the deal.

I know A-Rod is probably the best player in baseball. But the Rangers made a mistake, and now they really want to get out of it.

I'm pretty sure Raffy is gone from Texas.

This will never happen anyway, because we're talking about the White Sox here. They are incapable of even exploring creative posibilities.

washington
11-07-2003, 04:13 PM
I can see Texas unloading A-Rod but not to the White Sox. The only way the Sox would take him if the Rangers agreed to eat probably $15M -$20M of his annual salary, but if they're going to that they're better off just keeping him.

Huisj
11-07-2003, 04:28 PM
yeah, ARod makes a ton, and that puts a strain on Texas' budget, but he is the best player in the game right now. they won't trade him for peanuts even if he is causing them financial trouble. if he's traded it'll be for a couple established young pitchers, a couple prospects, and maybe a decent position player.

MarkEdward
11-07-2003, 04:56 PM
I think what the Rangers gain is addition by subtraction. They can't go out and get pitching because they are paying A-Rod.

No, the Rangers can't go out and get pitching because...
they're paying Juan Gonzalez 13 million to take 327 ABs;
they're paying Chan Ho Park 13 million for 30 innings pitched and and ERA of 7.50;
they're paying Jay Powell 3.3 million for a 7.82 ERA;
they're paying Rusty Greer 7 million to sit on the disabled list;
they're paying Ishmael Valdez 2.5 million for a 6.10 ERA;
they paid Todd Van Poppel 2.5 million for 12 innings and an ERA over six;
they're paying Einar Diaz 1.8 million for a .630 OPS.

Signing Rodriguez may be the best thing to happen for Rangers' baseball.

After next year they would have almost all of that money untied, and then they could go get pitching.

And they'd lose the best player in the game. How does that help the Rangers?

I know A-Rod is probably the best player in baseball. But the Rangers made a mistake, and now they really want to get out of it.

Since when is having the best player in baseball on your team a mistake?

gosox41
11-07-2003, 05:42 PM

Here it is:

It doesn't work and has zero chance of happening. First because the Sox are not going to pay A-Rod 1/3 of their payroll. Second, because while Texas is dumb, they're no that dumb.

Bob

FarmerAndy
11-07-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
First because the Sox are not going to pay A-Rod 1/3 of their payroll.

You all make very logical points. As I said, it's a crazy pipe dream.

I'm well aware of the fact that I'm a die hard fan of a team that would never pay the best player in baseball 1/3 of their payroll. But they will pay 3 worthless players 1/3 of their payroll. The Sox are never going to win a World Series in my lifetime, and I'm only 27. :(:

ondafarm
11-08-2003, 09:15 AM
I'm in the small minority here but I think the deal would have a chance. It would solve a couple of problems for both teams.

Texas, gets out from under the salary. Replace ARod with a decent SS, who is an exciting player. Replace Raffy with a decent first baseman and get a closer who has had an off year. (I'm amazed at the short sighted ness of my fellow posters on Koch, solid closer had off year.)

White Sox, get one of the best players in baseball and unload some of their working but not great players. Sox also shore up their defense a lot.

Huisj
11-08-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by ondafarm
(I'm amazed at the short sighted ness of my fellow posters on Koch, solid closer had off year.)

W

Formerly lucky closer who barely got through games with 99 MPH heat lost his fast ball and with it his ability to pitch well.

Brian26
11-08-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Huisj
Formerly lucky closer who barely got through games with 99 MPH heat lost his fast ball and with it his ability to pitch well.

But his pants are bloused at the knee, so at least he looks cool bs'ing with Wunsch in the bullpen.