PDA

View Full Version : Mike Cameron

longshot7
11-07-2003, 04:34 PM
A Seattle source has us talking about resigning our old center fielder. Discuss.

OEO Magglio
11-07-2003, 04:38 PM
Do you have a link or anything??

Stoky44
11-07-2003, 04:42 PM
I kind of like the idea. He gives us speed and some pretty good range in the of. I liked Carl, but it is not practical having him play cf. Plus it seemed like every time we faced Cameron he killed us. So maybe if we get him on our team he will still play awesome, but now for the right team. (Not a real serious comment about the last thing there, so don't rip me.) haha

voodoochile
11-07-2003, 04:51 PM
I'd take Cameron in a heartbeat especially if we can somehow get Parque on an ALC team... :D:

SoxxoS
11-07-2003, 04:57 PM
Cameron plays good defense and can hit the bomb. He needs a change of scenery, more importantly, a change of venue. Safeco is like the Polo Grounds.

poorme
11-07-2003, 04:59 PM
I think he'll get a huge contract. He's one of the most desirable commodities out there.

Huisj
11-07-2003, 05:25 PM
Career .250 hitter. hit .239 two years ago. OPS continues to drop each year since about 4 years ago when he first played good after he got traded. And he made more than 7 mil last year. He's going to be way overpriced.

Randar68
11-07-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Huisj
Career .250 hitter. hit .239 two years ago. OPS continues to drop each year since about 4 years ago when he first played good after he got traded. And he made more than 7 mil last year. He's going to be way overpriced.

I won't comment on his value until I see what kind of contract he gets. We definitely need a better option in CF than what we currently have. If we sign Cameron, then it's a definite sign that Maggs or Lee won't be back next in 2005 at the latest.

Cameron takes walks, and has speed on the basepaths (I don't care about SB's as much as pure speed), is Gold Glove quality CF, and hits for decent power. He isn't going to hit .300, but I think he could hit 30 HR's pretty easily if he can get out of Safeco.

A 5 or 6 year contract in the 30-35 million dollar range would go a LONG way to solidifying our OF defense and it would add some speed and effectiveness to our lineup.

I wouldn't overpay for him, but if he signs in a place with a smaller ballpark, he is going to surprise a lot of people. Look at his 3-year Home/Away splits. They are silly.

hold2dibber
11-07-2003, 05:41 PM
Cameron would be a huge upgrade over Rowand in CF, so I'm all for it. Of course, as with all potential acquisitions, the question is how much he'll cost. Cameron is still a damn good defensive center fielder, and his offensive numbers, while not great, have been greatly impacted (negatively) by Safeco - if you look at his splits (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits3?statsId=5492&type=batting) , you'll see that he has been a potent hitter away from Safeco. And even with Safeco, he still gets on base at a .350 or so clip, which would be much, much better than I would expect to get out of Rowand. With all that said, I don't think he's worth giving up the farm for, and I certainly would rather have more pitching than him, if it comes down to that.

hold2dibber
11-07-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
I won't comment on his value until I see what kind of contract he gets. We definitely need a better option in CF than what we currently have. If we sign Cameron, then it's a definite sign that Maggs or Lee won't be back next in 2005 at the latest.

Cameron takes walks, and has speed on the basepaths (I don't care about SB's as much as pure speed), is Gold Glove quality CF, and hits for decent power. He isn't going to hit .300, but I think he could hit 30 HR's pretty easily if he can get out of Safeco.

A 5 or 6 year contract in the 30-35 million dollar range would go a LONG way to solidifying our OF defense and it would add some speed and effectiveness to our lineup.

I wouldn't overpay for him, but if he signs in a place with a smaller ballpark, he is going to surprise a lot of people. Look at his 3-year Home/Away splits. They are silly.

I agree for the most part, except for the "5 or 6 year contract in the 30-35 million dollar" range. That would be overpaying, IMHO. I'd think a 3 year, $12 - $15 million deal would be sufficient. He'll be 31 years old when next season starts.

batmanZoSo
11-07-2003, 05:55 PM
Hey, it's not much of a gamble if we're talking about a free agent. I like the idea just because of that. You know how well he hits in Comiskey...just maybe some of that would show up if he played 81 games there?

I would trade Lee and sign him. Let Rowand, Reed or Borchard win out left. With any of the three plus Cam in center, our outfield will be dramatically better defensively.

I don't care that Cameron strikes out a lot and bats .250. He gets on base at .350, which is very solid and not much behind Konerko when he was good. He also has great speed and will hit 20 homers. I'd love to have him.

pudge
11-07-2003, 06:23 PM
I've heard these "Seattle sources" and all they say is that he should play here because he hits well in Comiskey... we have no money to sign him right now, it makes no sense to even consider.

gosox41
11-07-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by longshot7
A Seattle source has us talking about resigning our old center fielder. Discuss.

Depends on the money involved. Cameron strikes out a ton. He didn't have a great year last year during his free agent year and only seems to do well agains the Sox.

I thought he was pissed that he was traded and how he found out. Why would he want to come back?

Bob

dickallen15
11-07-2003, 06:42 PM
He wouldn't come here anyway. He didn't like finding out the Sox traded him via ESPN.

nodiggity59
11-07-2003, 07:01 PM
This team needs a pure leadoff hitter in CF since it appears our SS/2B won't give it to us.

I know Lofton wasn't on the best terms with us but let's face it he's a steal for the price compared to Cameron and more importanly he's WHAT THIS TEAM NEEDS. Some would say he's old but frankly if this team doesn't get it done in a year or two it's over anyways.

Like I said our relations with him weren't great but we do offer him the possibility to stay in the same city for more than a year... plus the Indians traded him away and got him back eventually...

I think he would be great - the old Lofton-Alomar with Frank behind them? Come on.

Mike Cameron who?

Steve Bartman
11-07-2003, 07:03 PM
Could it be that Mike Cameron will play center next year, and Rowand will be either in left or right? I think either Maggs or Lee will be gone, and then Rowand will take one of their places.

guillen4life13
11-07-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Steve Bartman
Could it be that Mike Cameron will play center next year, and Rowand will be either in left or right? I think either Maggs or Lee will be gone, and then Rowand will take one of their places.

Look, I'm already depressed at the events that have happened this offseason. There's no need to pile more on.

StepsInSC
11-07-2003, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Steve Bartman

Oh...my....God...

steff
11-07-2003, 08:17 PM
Hmmm.. guy finds out he's been traded via the ESPN ticker.. upon his first visit back bashes the management - and hits the ball to the Indiana Dunes... and makes no secret he would never want to play for this team again...

Yeah.. he'll be back.

ondafarm
11-07-2003, 09:50 PM
Offensively, the White Sox desperately need a pure lead-off hitter and some team speed. Either Cameron or Lofton would be decent and both play center, a gaping hole in the current defense. My own prefernce is Lofton, who is probably less angry with White Sox management. Cameron is probably the better player given their respective ages. I'd sign either in a heartbeat.

MarkV
11-07-2003, 11:30 PM
Cameron was one of the worst players to ever put on a Sox uniform and he dogged a lot of plays. Seattle can't wait to show him the door, and most of you want him back? As for Lofton, the guy's a weasel. He was another dog that laid down and died after a month. I won't be surprised if some of you start pining for David Wells a.k.a. Fat Bastard to come back. Maybe we could bring back Jim Parque and coax Jaimie Navarro out of retirement! Heck, maybe we can even trade Maggs and Buehrle to the Scrubs so we can get Shammie back! We'd be a lock to win the World Series then! :D: :D: :D: :D:

JDP
11-07-2003, 11:45 PM
If he could be had for something no more than 2 years / $10.0 (less works too) and even wants to come back to the south side, it might be a viable way to go.

lowesox
11-07-2003, 11:54 PM
Right now, I like Rowand. Then, if we're contending at mid-season next year we could go out shopping for an upgrade. But to me, Rowand is about average. Which I think is enough because we have several exceptional players.

Plus, ARow is an Ozzie type player. I could see him having a good year.

JDP
11-07-2003, 11:57 PM
Do you see Rowand playing there day in and day out? What about Willie Harris? Does he get a platoon shot or a regular job shot at CF or is he on the backburner anymore?

Randar68
11-08-2003, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by lowesox
Right now, I like Rowand. Then, if we're contending at mid-season next year we could go out shopping for an upgrade. But to me, Rowand is about average. Which I think is enough because we have several exceptional players.

Plus, ARow is an Ozzie type player. I could see him having a good year.

JESUS CHRIST, stopt this insanity, folks, I think I just had an embolism. "ARow?" Holy Shnieckies! The guy is below average and you're giving him a nickname derived from ARod? Some one needs their doses checked.

:prozac

guillen4life13
11-08-2003, 09:57 AM
JESUS CHRIST, stopt this insanity, folks, I think I just had an embolism. "ARow?" Holy Shnieckies! The guy is below average and you're giving him a nickname derived from ARod? Some one needs their doses checked.

Actually, I myself use the A-Ro thing. Not like A-Rod, but more like J-Lo.

:D:

bc2k
11-08-2003, 10:19 AM

I'll take credit for the AROW nick.

voodoochile
11-08-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
I'll take credit for the AROW nick.

For me it is because I am too lazy to type the whole name and it is clearer than using just initials.

Shoeless Joe
11-08-2003, 12:30 PM
ARow? I sort of like that. A lot of people call Esteban E-Lo so I see no problem with it. Carlos is CLee. Hmmm, I think I see a trend...WERE LAZY!

Gumshoe
11-08-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by MarkV
Cameron was one of the worst players to ever put on a Sox uniform and he dogged a lot of plays. Seattle can't wait to show him the door, and most of you want him back? As for Lofton, the guy's a weasel. He was another dog that laid down and died after a month. I won't be surprised if some of you start pining for David Wells a.k.a. Fat Bastard to come back. Maybe we could bring back Jim Parque and coax Jaimie Navarro out of retirement! Heck, maybe we can even trade Maggs and Buehrle to the Scrubs so we can get Shammie back! We'd be a lock to win the World Series then! :D: :D: :D: :D:

This is a great point. So many can't see it, but AR can and will do the job. What's funny is that I have a bad feeling about KW moving Carlos Lee --- a really bad feeling. He better be getting a #1 starter if that's the case -- and not one that is 97 years old.

AR will be in left. Who knows. AR for CF!

Gumshoe

longshot7
11-08-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by steff
Hmmm.. guy finds out he's been traded via the ESPN ticker.. upon his first visit back bashes the management - and hits the ball to the Indiana Dunes... and makes no secret he would never want to play for this team again...

Yeah.. he'll be back.

Kinda reminds me of Ozzie. Who knows? Money talks.

Brian26
11-08-2003, 11:29 PM
Exactly.

Money talks. Ask Sable about that. Money can change a lot of things.

Win1ForMe
11-08-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Exactly.

Money talks. Ask Sable about that. Money can change a lot of things.

You're really busting out with the wrestling references tonight.

Brian26
11-08-2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
You're really busting out with the wrestling references tonight.

What can I say? I'm on a roll. I didn't even include Piper, Hogan, Sgt. Slaughter or Tony Atlas in that post either.

longshot7
11-09-2003, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
What can I say? I'm on a roll. I didn't even include Piper, Hogan, Sgt. Slaughter or Tony Atlas in that post either.

Now can you dig that SUCKA?