PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Player News

Lip Man 1
11-07-2003, 03:01 PM
From The Sporting News Radio.

Both concern the Yankees

TSN quotes George Steinbrenner as saying that he'd be interested in trading for Curt Schilling if Arizona does indeed make him available. Schilling will make 12 million in 2004 with six million of that being deferred.

That would help solve the Yankees starting rotation issues and free up money for Arizona to go after Colon.

Plus the N.Y. Post (via TSN radio) reports that the Astros will in fact, make an offer to Andy Pettitte. The Post says the initial offer is expected to be for four years and worth between 40 and 45 million.

Scratch Andy for your White Sox "wish" list.

Sigh...

Lip

toledosoxfan
11-07-2003, 03:20 PM
Pettitte isn't singing with the SOX?

Damn, there goes my wish list. If Pettitte isn't going to be on the team, I guess we still can trade Pauly and Koch for ARod, sign IRod, Cameron for cf, and Castillo for 2b.

TraderTim
11-07-2003, 08:53 PM
The good news, Lip...

[And so far, there ain't much, I'll grant you...]

Four years at $40 to $45 mill for Pettitte?

Doesn't sound like the 3 year $36 mill offer to Colon was that out of the ballpark...Let's just see what happens.

This is a very soft free agent market, even for the big name pitchers.

Forkit!

joecrede
11-07-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
From The Sporting News Radio.

Both concern the Yankees

TSN quotes George Steinbrenner as saying that he'd be interested in trading for Curt Schilling if Arizona does indeed make him available. Schilling will make 12 million in 2004 with six million of that being deferred.

Two things on Schilling. First, I heard tape of him from ESPN radio saying that he would only accept a trade to the Phillies. Second, Gammons speculated that he would accept a trade to the Yankees, but only if they extended his contract.

Gammons also said that Arizona wants prospects/young players if they trade Schilling, something the Yankees don't have. In lieu of prospects, Arizona would want the Yankees to take the contracts of Junior Spivey and Matt Mantei in order to get Schilling. Gammons doubted Seinbrenner would be that stupid.

JDP
11-07-2003, 10:27 PM
Yeah, I heard his entire conversation. He said that there are definetely teams that he would not go to and definetely teams that he would not go to. While he did state once that "No, I wouldn't go to NY," he later retracted that statement saying that "my wife and kids have put in their time -- it is their decision now." Schilling also stated that he isn't just going to lift his no-trade clause for the sake of being moved -- he absolutely loves the Diamondbacks and how they treat their players. He noted that his next contract will be the last contract that he ever signs, so that he is basically "a FA with a contract." He also knows that he will not be back in Arizona after 2004..

So, if he approves a move, it it to somewhere where his family wants to go, where his family wants him to go and somewhere that is going to give him 3-4 more years of equally valuable contract money; although, Schilling was quoted as saying something along the lines of it is not about the money anymore, he has more money than he could ever deal with in his lifetime and all will strictly be based on his families input.

Translation? The small handful of teams that the Schilling family would think of going to is going to have give up a lot to get him pre-FA, as Curt pretty much said that whomever he does approve a trade to and goes to, it is somewhere that he is going to want to sign a contract for the rest of his time in the game. Therefore, if moved before free agency, Arizona has some major, major leverage.