PDA

View Full Version : If we get Trachsel - I guarantee not to go to ANY of his home starts

jabrch
11-07-2003, 02:48 PM
Not sure how many people have been to a 4:30+ hour 9 inning game. I have and they were all thanks to Steve Trachsel. A family member of mine has season tickets for the Schulbs and I go to my share of games to cheer against them. I stopped going to Trachsel games because of how hard it is to tolerate them. His fielders get noticably indifferent also. Defense behind fast pitchers is usually significantly better than it is behind slow pitchers. We don't need that.

Put me on the list of people who would MUCH rather have Koch here than Trachsel.

KingXerxes
11-07-2003, 03:03 PM
He may pitch rather deliberately, but he does eat up innings - and that's what the White Sox need. I wouldn't mind seeing him in our rotation:

Trachsel
Buhrle
Garland
Loaiza
Another Trachsel-like guy (Burkett?)

It may not be the stuff of which legends are made, but at least they would have a chance to win every time out.

npdempse
11-07-2003, 03:04 PM
Yeah, I'd much rather have a guy who does NOTHING than somebody who won 16 games last year.

Bring a book to the game! Do your taxes! Trachsel would be great for us; I doubt we'll get him.

jabrch
11-07-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by npdempse
Yeah, I'd much rather have a guy who does NOTHING than somebody who won 16 games last year.

Bring a book to the game! Do your taxes! Trachsel would be great for us; I doubt we'll get him.

He averages 10 wins a season. He has a 4.35 ERA mostly in the NL. He isn't a power pitcher that might translate well to the AL. He isn't a .500 pitcher. He is notoriously rotates good and bad years (and is due for a bad one). He will cost 5mm next year and if he throws 180 IP he vests for another year at 5mm.

I'd rather take my chances that Koch recovers and had an off year last season than try and bet that all of a sudden Trachsel will reverse his 10 year career of complete and total mediocrity.

jabrch
11-07-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
He may pitch rather deliberately, but he does eat up innings - and that's what the White Sox need. I wouldn't mind seeing him in our rotation:

Trachsel
Buhrle
Garland
Loaiza
Another Trachsel-like guy (Burkett?)

It may not be the stuff of which legends are made, but at least they would have a chance to win every time out.

If we don't have a #1 starter at the front of this rotation, we may as well pack it in for the season. If this is the rotation that we bring to Spring Training, I'd say white flag it before we even start.

cheeses_h_rice
11-07-2003, 03:41 PM
Trachsel turned it around, somewhat, in New York. But yeah, watching him pitch in person is brutal -- he's the anti-Buehrle.

I did enjoy watching him give up #62 to McGwire in '98, though. That was when he was still a Flub.

:)

CubKilla
11-07-2003, 11:05 PM
Isn't Trachsel the real superstitious guy? His outings are so long due to his obsessive compulsive rituals. The dude needs a shrink..... if Trachsel is the guy I'm thinking of.

JDP
11-07-2003, 11:09 PM
Yeah, read an article on him or something a few years back. If you've ever seen Major League III, I think he'd be like Hog Ellis. Ha!

Daver
11-07-2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Isn't Trachsel the real superstitious guy? His outings are so long due to his obsessive compulsive rituals. The dude needs a shrink..... if Trachsel is the guy I'm thinking of.

I think you are thinking of Turk Wendall.

That guy is truly odd.

CubKilla
11-07-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Daver
I think you are thinking of Turk Wendall.

That guy is truly odd.

Yep. That's who I'm thinking of.

JDP
11-07-2003, 11:14 PM
Doesn't (or didn't?) Wendall used to wear that massive shell necklace on the mound?

CubKilla
11-07-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by JDP
Doesn't (or didn't?) Wendall used to wear that massive shell necklace on the mound?

Yep. And he brushed his teeth between innings..... every inning. And he would never catch a new baseball thrown to him by an umpire. The catcher always had to throw a new ball after a foul, HR, etc., to Turk.

JDP
11-07-2003, 11:20 PM
The brushing the teeth bit points towards a compulsive disorder, as does the new baseball issue. Wonder if he was superstitious or just a plain nut-job?

Daver
11-07-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by JDP
The brushing the teeth bit points towards a compulsive disorder, as does the new baseball issue. Wonder if he was superstitious or just a plain nut-job?

I think he is both.

Rocklive99
11-08-2003, 01:14 AM
I guess it's not all of them though ;) , cause I saw him pitch in NY last year, and the pace was fine

StillMissOzzie
11-08-2003, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by Daver
I think he is both.

Me, too, because I remember more: He had to turn around and WAVE to the CF every inning. He had to LEAP over the 3B foul line going to & from the mound. And, there was something about black licorice - either he ate that constantly, or ???. Definitely a head case.

SMO
:gulp: