PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 11.7.03

Hangar18
11-07-2003, 01:09 PM
The Sox start the offseason with a Bang, and take the Biggest
lead theyve ever had in these watches....but uh-oh....

Chicago Sun-Times:

1 Cub Story
0 Sox Story

Chicago Cubune:

2 Cub story
0 Sox story

total so far:

SOX 13
Cub 4

Hokiesox
11-07-2003, 02:20 PM
Hangar,

If I ever make it out to Chicago to see a game at USCF, you'd be one of the people I'd like to meet.

But,

Do you have anything better to do than worry about the media? :)

Hangar18
11-07-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Hokiesox
Hangar,

If I ever make it out to Chicago to see a game at USCF, you'd be one of the people I'd like to meet.

But,

Do you have anything better to do than worry about the media? :)

heh heh, Its a dirty job, but someones got to do it.
You let me know when you come out .... I'll buy the cold ones

JDP
11-07-2003, 07:45 PM
Hangar .. it says that you are from the south side..

Czy mowisz po polsku?

Milo mi, do zobaczenia.

voodoochile
11-07-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by JDP

Czy mowisz po polsku?

Milo mi, do zobaczenia.

I don't think Henry is Polish... :D:

JDP
11-07-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I don't think Henry is Polish... :D:

Ah, ok, thanks. I'm a half-breed myself..

voodoochile
11-07-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by JDP
Ah, ok, thanks. I'm a half-breed myself..

I'm a complete mutt myself...

hsnterprize
11-09-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
heh heh, Its a dirty job, but someones got to do it.
You let me know when you come out .... I'll buy the cold ones Hey Hangar18...

Thanks for keeping us "media types" in line. I've been saying for a while that we shouldn't go into "Cubs overkill" when they were in their run. Like I said before, I took a lot of grief for not jumping on the Cubbie Love Boat...aka...Titanic. And then when the sCrUBS choked, I and the news director here at WMBI were the only ones who were smiling while everyone else seemed to be in a collective state of mourning.

When I go to the Cell, I'll let you know. I'd like to meet you.

DrCrawdad
11-09-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
Hey Hangar18...

...And then when the sCrUBS choked, I and the news director here at WMBI were the only ones who were smiling while everyone else seemed to be in a collective state of mourning.

Since you work at WMBI I guess you won't be buying any cold beers. :D:

Jim Hendry did a fine job for the Cubbies last year, but come on those complete fluff pieces a few days ago. The Cubune can find nary a critical comment on Hendry. Hendry deserves the credit for reversing a 95 loss team from '02, not the guy who people pile with praise - Dusty. In spite of this, doesn't Hendry deserve a little criticism for signing and holding onto Lenny "F." Harris, or not adding to the Cubs bullpen?

Expecting anything less than a promotional piece in the Cubune is probably just expecting too much.

Hangar18
11-09-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by JDP

Czy mowisz po polsku?

Milo mi, do zobaczenia.

Zimne Piwo Okocim. Thats about the extent of my polish
heh heh

Hangar18
11-09-2003, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
Hey Hangar18...

Thanks for keeping us "media types" in line. I've been saying for a while that we shouldn't go into "Cubs overkill" when they were in their run. Like I said before, I took a lot of grief for not jumping on the Cubbie Love Boat...aka...Titanic. And then when the sCrUBS choked, I and the news director here at WMBI were the only ones who were smiling while everyone else seemed to be in a collective state of mourning.

I am the Media WatchDog, and my bites worse than my bark
heh heh. Say Hsnterprize, you may not remember, but We
have met before. Remember Steffs Opening Day Frozen BBQ?
You stopped by briefly, but it was pouring so bad, we were
all huddled in the car he heh. We'll toast under better
weather conditions ..........

hsnterprize
11-10-2003, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I am the Media WatchDog, and my bites worse than my bark
heh heh. Say Hsnterprize, you may not remember, but We
have met before. Remember Steffs Opening Day Frozen BBQ?
You stopped by briefly, but it was pouring so bad, we were
all huddled in the car he heh. We'll toast under better
weather conditions .......... You know what...I remember that day. But it was so cold, wet, and dreary, I really don't remember meeting anyone other than Steff and Wilkes. Sorry about that. It was really hard to concentrate on people when we were watching a baseball game in football weather.

Question...did you stay for the whole game after the 2 hour rain delay, or did you leave early? I'm thinking you stuck around since you're one of the more passionate fans on this board, but I'm curious.

hsnterprize
11-10-2003, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Since you work at WMBI I guess you won't be buying any cold beers. :D:

Jim Hendry did a fine job for the Cubbies last year, but come on those complete fluff pieces a few days ago. The Cubune can find nary a critical comment on Hendry. Hendry deserves the credit for reversing a 95 loss team from '02, not the guy who people pile with praise - Dusty. In spite of this, doesn't Hendry deserve a little criticism for signing and holding onto Lenny "F." Harris, or not adding to the Cubs bullpen?

Expecting anything less than a promotional piece in the Cubune is probably just expecting too much. I'll give Jim Hendry his due, but it's hard to do that in light of all the Cubbie-loving hype that's out there. You know something, I'm at the point where anything other than "promotional" or "fluff" pieces by the Cubune about their beloved Cubbies would be shocking. As far as I'm concerned, so what if the Cubune wants to put out stuff like books and other promotional articles about "how great this Cubs season was." If the Cubs are as good as the hype, let's see them do it again...and this time...not choke in the NLCS...if they even make it that far.

Of course, there are Cubs fans in the press...that's a commonly known fact. However, it's one thing when TV and radio stations are reporting on the story. And I'll concede that since the Sox were out of it, the Cubs were a "big story". It just infuriated me to n oend when the press seemed to do nothing but kiss Cubbie butt over and over again all those "all things Cub" stories. It's one thing to talk about the nostalgia of the Cubs' lack of success, but it's another things to talk about how Dusty Baker gets his toothpicks, or how families decorate their houses in Cubs colors. A few "fluff" stories related to the team are fine, but not 20 minutes out of a 30 minute newscast dedicated to the team. You know good and well they wouldn't do that if the Sox were in that same situation. So you know what...it serves those arrogant, pompous, flubbie-loving reporters and such right their beloved team choked. And if I ever get into a conversation with another reporter on the subject, I'll tell that person just that.

And to be told in the newspapers that if I didn't root for the Cubs, I was stupid...that's really low. But...the Flub lovers needed someone to beat upon since they couldn't do anything about the Marlins. Oh well...when the Sox make and win the World Series next year, they'll be wanting to jump on OUR bandwagon. Oh what fun it will be when we Sox fans tell these yuppie, trendy, going-to-the-ballpark-to-be-seen, don't -really-care-about-the-Cubs, Wrigley Field ivy smoking schleps to get the you-know-what out of our spotlight.