PDA

View Full Version : Call of the Year

santo=dorf
11-07-2003, 01:54 PM
I have been watching all of the "play of the game" videos from MLB video vault lately, and I can't get enough of Hawk! I was just wondering what everyone thought the best call of the year was. As much as I love hearing the one against the Twins (7/2, I was there!), I think the best was on 7/30 when Jose hit three homers and Konerko almost got robbed of a grand slam.

SoxFan76
11-07-2003, 04:28 PM
i was there for the 2 HR game against anaheim when he hit the game winner in the 9th. but that 12 inning twins game was the best. hawks call when paulie hit the HR in the 11th was better than franks home run.

Stoky44
11-07-2003, 06:39 PM
"That is absolute BS"

Konerkoholic
11-07-2003, 10:41 PM
The one that sticks in my head the most is when D'Angelo Jimenez singled up the middle to beat the Cubs in walk-off fashion for the 2nd straight day.
Hawk: "Up the middle...Base Hit! Here comes Maggs!

Brian26
11-07-2003, 11:07 PM
"High and deep....WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY Back.....He look up....."

7/2 vs. Twins, 12th inning, Frank off Guardado.

The best is when Hawk says "he look up" instead of "he looks up". It's that southern jive that he's so good at.

Shoeless Joe
11-08-2003, 12:44 AM
The best call Hawk made was when he basically called Jerry Manuel an idiot for starting Neal Cotts during that Yankees series. Sorry if I brought back some bad memories.

CubKilla
11-08-2003, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by Shoeless Joe
The best call Hawk made was when he basically called Jerry Manuel an idiot for starting Neal Cotts during that Yankees series. Sorry if I brought back some bad memories.

Just when I start to think whether or not Ozzie is the right man for the Sox management position, I think of this..... and I know the White Sox are in no worse shape with Ozzie than they would be if JM was here for the last year of his contract.

StillMissOzzie
11-08-2003, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by santo=dorf
I have been watching all of the "play of the game" videos from MLB video vault lately, and I can't get enough of Hawk! I was just wondering what everyone thought the best call of the year was. As much as I love hearing the one against the Twins (7/2, I was there!), I think the best was on 7/30 when Jose hit three homers and Konerko almost got robbed of a grand slam.

I was out in KC for Jose's 3-HR game! I sure missed the Hawk's calls that game.

SMO
:gulp:

SoxRulecubsdrool
11-08-2003, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Just when I start to think whether or not Ozzie is the right man for the Sox management position, I think of this..... and I know the White Sox are in no worse shape with Ozzie than they would be if JM was here for the last year of his contract.

I agree. That's what I mean, we have to give him a chance.

crector
11-08-2003, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by SoxRulecubsdrool
I agree. That's what I mean, we have to give him a chance.

Given that Ozzie has already shown incredibly poor judgement in trashing Frank in both his inaugural press conference and in an article on the official team website, its quite possible that he would also have had the equally poor judgement to start Cotts against the Yankees.

santo=dorf
11-08-2003, 05:04 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by StillMissOzzie
[B]I was out in KC for Jose's 3-HR game! I sure missed the Hawk's calls that game.

3-HR and a Grand Slam (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/video/daily.jsp?ymd=20030730)

There you go! I downloaded the 14 day trial just to watch all of these great moments!

mike squires
11-08-2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
i was there for the 2 HR game against anaheim when he hit the game winner in the 9th. but that 12 inning twins game was the best. hawks call when paulie hit the HR in the 11th was better than franks home run.

Right on SOxfan76. I agree. Best call of the year as the Paulie homerun being down t their last out. PAUL KONERKO HAS TIED THIS GAME at 6!!! mercy

oldcomiskey
11-08-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by crector
Given that Ozzie has already shown incredibly poor judgement in trashing Frank in both his inaugural press conference and in an article on the official team website, its quite possible that he would also have had the equally poor judgement to start Cotts against the Yankees.

I get so damn tired of telling you idiots--HE DID NOT TRASH FRANK--and so what if he did---Frank needs to grow up some--Ozzie also mentioned Magglio a few times--I suppose he was trashing Maggs too

TornLabrum
11-08-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
I get so damn tired of telling you idiots--HE DID NOT TRASH FRANK--and so what if he did---Frank needs to grow up some--Ozzie also mentioned Magglio a few times--I suppose he was trashing Maggs too

In order to write my next "Fallen Arches" column (emailed to PHG today at 12:49 p.m.) I actually sat down and typed down as best I could Ozzie's exact words, with maybe a few words missed due to my not understanding completely what he said, a few sentences deleted that were not totally relevant, and maybe a few grammatical changes to make what he said more understandable.

I came to the exact same conclusion. It's not just here that we're hearing it said that he's been bashing Frank. It's been on all of the sportstalk stations, too, both from hosts and callers.

It's amazing what you can do when you pull something out of context.

crector
11-08-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum

I came to the exact same conclusion. It's not just here that we're hearing it said that he's been bashing Frank. It's been on all of the sportstalk stations, too, both from hosts and callers.

It's amazing what you can do when you pull something out of context.

What was out of context? The real context here is that as a player, Ozzie was quite jealous of Sox players who were better than he was. Since Frank was/is the best Sox player of them all, Ozzie was/is most jealous of Frank.

In his attacks on Frank, Ozzie even admitted that he was basing his criticisms on nothing more than rumor, gossip and innuendo. You would think that he'd at least wait to see what the facts are first.

Based on all of this, it appears that Ozzie has never gotten over his jealousy/hatred of Frank Thomas. This offseason is going to be pretty rotten folks irregardless of whether or not Magglio or C.Lee are traded for payroll considerations.

Brian26
11-08-2003, 09:44 PM
The maturity level of "El Cap-i-tan" is a major concern for me. I didn't sit-in for the interview, obviously, between KW and Ozzie, but so far I'm totally unimpressed. I hope Ozzie has learned something in the last few years. I would have loved to have seen Torborg back here for a second run with the Sox before Ozzie got the job.

TornLabrum
11-09-2003, 01:13 AM
What was out of context? The real context here is that as a player, Ozzie was quite jealous of Sox players who were better than he was. Since Frank was/is the best Sox player of them all, Ozzie was/is most jealous of Frank.

In his attacks on Frank, Ozzie even admitted that he was basing his criticisms on nothing more than rumor, gossip and innuendo. You would think that he'd at least wait to see what the facts are first.

Based on all of this, it appears that Ozzie has never gotten over his jealousy/hatred of Frank Thomas. This offseason is going to be pretty rotten folks irregardless of whether or not Magglio or C.Lee are traded for payroll considerations.

Welcome to the Happiest Kingdom of Them All.

oldcomiskey
11-09-2003, 11:41 AM

oh please--give it a rest---you have proof that ozzie was jealous of frank--Id like to see it

TornLabrum
11-09-2003, 11:59 AM
oh please--give it a rest---you have proof that ozzie was jealous of frank--Id like to see it

I think it takes the form of the following syllogism:

Players who don't hit as many homers or have as high an average as others are jealous of those who do.

Ozzie hit fewer homers and for a lower average than Frank.

Ergo, Ozzie was jealous of Frank.

I know a couple of people who know both of those guys, and I've yet to hear any reports of jealousy.

faneidde
11-09-2003, 12:28 PM
Going back to the original happy topic of this post, I gotta go with Rowand's home run against the Cubs to tie it up.

CubKilla
11-09-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by faneidde
Going back to the original happy topic of this post, I gotta go with Rowand's home run against the Cubs to tie it up.

IMHO, if you're going to go with best Hawk HR call in '03 against the Cubs, I'd have to go with his call of Jose Valentin's walk-off against Alfonsixa. I went from being in the dumps to complete elation.

Hangar18
11-09-2003, 11:02 PM

This doesnt COunt as a "HAWK" call, but
wow man, I was Actually at BOTH of those Games.
Funny funny thing. Im in the LF stands, ordering a Beer
in Kauffman Stadium. Im wearing complete SOX gear, getting
some Dirty Looks by the KC faithful, when I hear a Groan
from the Crowd.....I turn around, and so does everyone else
in the Line.....and I can see Valentins Ball Sailing into the seats...
when this guy behind me goes " HOW MANY HR"S are these guys
going to hit man.....Dammit". That was funny.
Of course, I had the best Line I think. Caballo Crushes a No doubt it bomb....into Deepest LeftCenter.... and our section was just talking about if the Royals scored another run, everyone gets a Dozen Free Donuts from KrispyKreme. Well, Lee Crushes the ball, and it hits the PizzaHut Sign on the fly, and I yelled out "TONITE, WE EAT PIZZA!!" I got cussed at
and yelled at....it was excellent

RKMeibalane
11-09-2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Of course, I had the best Line I think. Caballo Crushes a No doubt it bomb....into Deepest LeftCenter.... and our section was just talking about if the Royals scored another run, everyone gets a Dozen Free Donuts from KrispyKreme. Well, Lee Crushes the ball, and it hits the PizzaHut Sign on the fly, and I yelled out "TONITE, WE EAT PIZZA!!" I got cussed at
and yelled at....it was excellent

LMAO!

Nick@Nite
11-09-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by StillMissOzzie
I was out in KC for Jose's 3-HR game! I sure missed the Hawk's calls that game.

SMO
:gulp:

I was there too. Every time I went to get another slice of pizza or a braut (I was hungry) the Sox would light up the scoreboard with a dinger (or a frozen rope). It's great that Kauffman has TV's strategically placed at the concession area, so you can keep up with the action.

crector
11-10-2003, 05:24 AM

Let's put it this way. Back during the late '80's-early '90's, I had a friend who worked in the White Sox Organization. Through him, I knew some other folks there including some of the players. One player that I frequently heard about was Ozzie Guillen and his egomania and jealousy of certain other players, not just Frank Thomas. If it were not for the fact that Ozzie was/is a JR favorite, Ozzie would have been traded to another team . That's how bad it was.

As Steff put it in another thread, the only reason why Ozzie wants to be manager is just so he can have the title. Its just part of his egomania.

Whatever temporary success that Ozzie might have as manager will ultimately be undone by his personality problems. No matter how much the Ozzie backers may claim that his comments were "taken out of context," the real context is that Ozzie's dumping on Frank Thomas is part and parcel of a larger problem involving Ozzie and how he treats other people. That will ultimately be his undoing as manager.

joepoe
11-10-2003, 10:54 PM

He may not have trashed him, but he did disrespect him. He called him out, challenged his manhood. You don't tell a guy who hit 42 taters and had over 100 RBI's with a huge OBP that you are going to make him play YOUR way. That is TOTAL BS.

Deadguy
11-11-2003, 12:20 AM

Does anyone know how to save these videos, or are they just streamed from MLB.com?

AOEllis
11-11-2003, 01:47 AM
The fair-pole foul-pole discussion with Hawk and DJ this year on the controversial Magglio double, homer, hell i forgot what it turned out to be, THAT WAS CLASSIC. Boers and Bernstein cut that one up and played "Ebony and Ivory" in the background. I thought that was good. THAT WAS ABSOLUTE BS ranks up there, but i got my thunder stolen, and anytime we hear, "STRETCH!!! IT WILL!!! YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOOOOOOAAAAAAAARRDD, YESSSS!!!!!! Give's me chills every time.

I GONE.

santo=dorf
11-11-2003, 02:03 AM
Here's another great Hawk soundbyte.
Carlos Slam, Crede walk-off (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/video/daily.jsp?ymd=20030525)

WAY BACK!!!! MAKE IT SEVEN!!!!