PDA

View Full Version : John Burkett a free agent

MHOUSE
11-07-2003, 12:08 PM
The Red Sox told him that he's not in their plans for 2004. KW could at least take a look at him. He's an very good veteran pitcher and at 38 he'd only sign a one or two year deal for pretty cheap I think. He'd be a good 4th or 5th starter for a contender like we're looking to be.

Loaiza
Buehrle
??
Garland
Burkett?

StepsInSC
11-07-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
The Red Sox told him that he's not in their plans for 2004. KW could at least take a look at him. He's an very good veteran pitcher and at 38 he'd only sign a one or two year deal for pretty cheap I think. He'd be a good 4th or 5th starter for a contender like we're looking to be.

Loaiza
Buehrle
??
Garland
Burkett?

Buehrle
Loaiza
Ponson
Burkett
Garland

Randar68
11-07-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
Buehrle
Loaiza
Ponson
Burkett
Garland

If you're going to dream, at least dream!

Colon
Buehrle
Loaiza
Ponson
Garland

Dadawg_77
11-07-2003, 12:12 PM
Buehrle
Loaiza
Ponson
Burkett
Garland

You would put Burkett over Garland?

SoxxoS
11-07-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
You would put Burkett over Garland?

And why is that rotation a pipedream?

Lip Man 1
11-07-2003, 01:07 PM
I'd stay away from Burkett.

Lip

rmusacch
11-07-2003, 01:10 PM
Buehrle
Loaiza
Ponson
Burkett
Garland

Any word on Ponson, Steff?

crector
11-07-2003, 02:11 PM
Burkett is a high ERA pitcher and with all the talk about the Sox trading away at least of the team's big hitters, that has the potential for disaster. We already have Danny Wright, don't need another pitcher like him.

Marte has expressed his wish to become a starting pitcher next year. And why not? If he's as good starting as he currently is in relief, then we could have another 20-game winner on the staff. If it turns out that Ozzie has any real ability in handling pitchers, then Marte as starter should enable the Sox to win the pennant in 2004.

FanOf14
11-07-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I'd stay away from Burkett.

Lip

I'd have to agree. Weren't the Sox the only team he was really good against? I thought he struggled for the most part except for a few games here and there.

Randar68
11-07-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by crector
Marte has expressed his wish to become a starting pitcher next year. And why not? If he's as good starting as he currently is in relief, then we could have another 20-game winner on the staff. If it turns out that Ozzie has any real ability in handling pitchers, then Marte as starter should enable the Sox to win the pennant in 2004.

You're kidding right? If Marte is a starter, then we have nobody in the bullpen. Half the bullpen is free agents. Marte, your most reliable guy, would be lost to starter, where he failed in 5 years of trying to do so with Pittsburg...

EEEK-GADS! 2004 king of blown leads, maybe, divisional champs with no bullpen? Hardly.

thepaulbowski
11-07-2003, 02:26 PM
If they sign Burkett, I will go nuts and could get rid of my season tickets. Does anybody remember his comments about the possible strike this last go around? It was something to the affect of " I hope we go on strike & the fans always come back no matter what we do, so it really doesn't matter." I remember Mike & Mike talking about this on ESPN Radio & talking about what a-hole he was being and how egotistical he was. There is no way this guy should ever put a White Sox uniform on. :angry: :angry:

crector
11-07-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
If they sign Burkett, I will go nuts and could get rid of my season tickets.

There is no way this guy should ever put a White Sox uniform on. :angry: :angry:

That's how a lot of us felt over Albert Belle's deal with the White Sox. Especially since Belle was the culprit behind Batgate.

Then again, you can always count on Reinsdorf to do the tasteless thing instead of doing the right thing.

If JR reads your post on Burkett, that will greatly increase the likelihood that Burkett will be wearing a White Sox uniform next year.

StockdaleForVeep
11-07-2003, 03:18 PM
Maybe it should be part of the Sox charter that we sign players who in particular either knock the snot out of the ball or pitch too well against us.

Burkett would be one of these people as he pitched sadly too well against us. What hitters or other pitchers should this be enacted with as well? Id also say virtually the entire seattle mariners lineup

RichH55
11-07-2003, 03:29 PM
I'd take Hitchcock as my 5th starter over Burkett