PDA

View Full Version : White washing old Comiskey ?


john2499
11-07-2003, 12:24 PM
Does anyone know who, why, and when they white washed old Comiskey ? It certainly looked better with its natural brick facade.

Dadawg_77
11-07-2003, 01:12 PM
Not sure when but Veck did it, I believe.

SaltyPretzel
11-07-2003, 01:36 PM
After the '59 season.

rmusacch
11-07-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by SaltyPretzel
After the '59 season.

Do you know why they did it?

ondafarm
11-07-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
Do you know why they did it?

To cover up the cockroaches !!!

npdempse
11-07-2003, 02:16 PM
I don't know specifically, but Veeck talks in his book about how nasty the place was when he took it over. I'm sure he thought that whitewash gave it a cleaner, more welcoming appearance. He did a lot of his cosmetic things based on what he thought the ladies would like. Seems to have worked at least some of the time.

PaleHoseGeorge
11-07-2003, 02:36 PM
It was S.O.P. for Veeck wherever he went to apply a coat of fresh paint to his ballpark. He talks about it in his autobiography, Veeck as in Wreck. Paint was cheap and made everything look new. He first used this trick in the 40's when he bought the minor league Milwaukee Brewers. He never owned any team long enough to ever confront the problem of what to do about ugly old paint either.

His favorite promotion was post-game fireworks shows. As he noted in his book, the fireworks more than paid for themselves because all the fans stuck around to the very end of the game buying more and more food, beer, and novelties.

The guy didn't miss too many tricks.

:reinsy
"He missed that trick selling to DeBartolo. Bwahahahahahaha!"

batmanZoSo
11-07-2003, 03:56 PM
I loved the white facade with Comiskey Park in green.

It would've been a nice tribute the have made Comiskey II the same color, but then that's perfect fodder for our beloved 'journalists.' I can visualize the phrase "White Elephant" in a Mariotti column...

rmusacch
11-07-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
It was S.O.P. for Veeck wherever he went to apply a coat of fresh paint to his ballpark. He talks about it in his autobiography, Veeck as in Wreck. Paint was cheap and made everything look new. He first used this trick in the 40's when he bought the minor league Milwaukee Brewers. He never owned any team long enough to ever confront the problem of what to do about ugly old paint either.

His favorite promotion was post-game fireworks shows. As he noted in his book, the fireworks more than paid for themselves because all the fans stuck around to the very end of the game buying more and more food, beer, and novelties.

The guy didn't miss too many tricks.

:reinsy
"He missed that trick selling to DeBartolo. Bwahahahahahaha!"

Yeah they did not have the stupid rule then of beer sales being cut off in the 7th or 8th inning.

DannyCaterFan
11-07-2003, 05:03 PM
The Whitewashing of old Comiskey Park occurred many times but the original exterior paint job took place just before the 1960 season. That by the way was my first Sox game, opening day vs. Kansas City. That was the first day with the exploding scoreboard too.

Irishsox1
11-08-2003, 10:13 AM
My father said that the orginial brick color was 100% better looking than the painted white. Typical cheep Veeck move.

ewokpelts
11-09-2003, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by rmusacch
Yeah they did not have the stupid rule then of beer sales being cut off in the 7th or 8th inning.

Looking at what Dybas and Ligue did, I can hardly imagine what woul d happen if beer was sold later. Maybe they should cut it off sooner.
Gene

guillen4life13
11-09-2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
Looking at what Dybas and Ligue did, I can hardly imagine what woul d happen if beer was sold later. Maybe they should cut it off sooner.
Gene

There ya go!

The beer/drinks are cut off for a reason. Many patrons drive home from the park. You don't want someone drunk off his rocker driving in the middle of huge crowds as he/she exits the parking lot, or driving down the Ryan. Or driving anywhere, for that matter.

I think they should cut it off sooner.

SaltyPretzel
11-09-2003, 01:37 PM
I totally disagree. If anything, the cutoff encourages stockpiling beers before the cutoff. Also, you can go to the bullpen bar to drink beer and do shots of hard liquor until a hour after the game. Not to mention the pregame tailgating. If you make the cutoff earlier, people will just drink more earlier.

CubKilla
11-09-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by SaltyPretzel
I totally disagree. If anything, the cutoff encourages stockpiling beers before the cutoff. Also, you can go to the bullpen bar to drink beer and do shots of hard liquor until a hour after the game. Not to mention the pregame tailgating. If you make the cutoff earlier, people will just drink more earlier.

Spoken like a true pro! :D: :gulp:

RedPinStripes
11-09-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Spoken like a true pro! :D: :gulp:

Did this guy drink with us last year? :gulp:

Brian26
11-09-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by SaltyPretzel
I totally disagree. If anything, the cutoff encourages stockpiling beers before the cutoff. Also, you can go to the bullpen bar to drink beer and do shots of hard liquor until a hour after the game. Not to mention the pregame tailgating. If you make the cutoff earlier, people will just drink more earlier.

You're 100% correct. Ultimately, people are responsible for their own actions. The White Sox organization can't babysit their fans. Unfortunately, some people are complete dopes and can't be responsible.